A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 01:31:35 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Layoffs at Fox 23  (Read 13569 times)
naenae42day
« on: June 19, 2008, 07:37:46 pm »

Has everyone heard about the layoffs?  These poor folks just went through the stress of a buy-out..now they are losing their jobs.  It seems reporters are leaving there like rats leaving a ship...not that I can blame them.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 07:51:05 pm »

Welcome to reality....

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 08:16:12 pm »

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...Some of the new crew are butter faces......

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 09:53:42 pm »

They were the #2 rated newscast in town, second only to KOTV (which always had more money and staff).
Looks like being successful isnt always enough.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
bluelake
Activist

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:15:07 pm »

I guess I hadn't noticed anything except for Slater leaving.  oh and I mainly watch to see Chera anyway. There could be an entire station full of Land-O-Lake faces but as long as Chera is there who cares.

OkieDiva
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 10:25:21 pm »

It's a tough biz... all of the local CBS stations owned and operated by network recently witnessed newsroom bloodbaths. I think Dallas was closest such station. A media icon who won a Peabody was let go. If legends can be sacrified, I'm not surprised that Fox kids are being kicked out of the den.

Speaking of, what happened to the Fox-y news director?
Gold
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 10:15:56 am »

5/23 really isn't very good in the ratings overall and they are where advertisers who can't pay their bills with KOTV and KTUL go before filing for bankruptcy.
In_Tulsa
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 11:08:32 am »

So will they end there news for good?
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 01:15:03 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by In_Tulsa

So will they end there news for good?

Not if they're #2 in news.  
You will only take their 9pm news from them by prying it from their cold dead hands.

Now, the 4-hour marathon newscast in the morning... who knows.  

When you think about it, diversity in news is good and it would be a disservice to the community to loose any news department.
Look at what only having one major newspaper has left us with.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
naenae42day
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 02:34:38 pm »

I personally consider them the Enquirer of local news.  All we hear about are pit bull attacks, speed patrol and germs.  And I realize that BREAKING NEWS, and BREAKING WEATHER are their 'brand'.  But give me a break...they classify everything as BREAKING.  They have had some really decent talent over the years, but now have to fill their slots with reporters who are trying to break into the business, because that can't pay a decent wage.  They have lost all their decent talent, and  I think that the 9pm anchors are what is holding them.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 02:44:45 pm »

Pit Bulls and straw polls are what you get when you have to fill an hour-long newscast.  There have been benefits to the hour-long format as it's created an outlet for more community-based reporting and special interest stories which 30 minute newscasts don't have as much flexibility (nor capacity) to carry.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 02:13:52 am »

I like the Fox newscast. I don't watch it because it's at 9 or because of Chera. I just like it better than the same old stuff from the other stations same old reporters....no offense.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 01:56:16 pm »

I've taken quite a liking to KJRH's news in HD. They even have one of Fox's old guys there. I completely ditched KOTV and Fox 23 other than the occasional skim for weather info over on KOTV.

naenae42day
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 08:48:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JoeMommaBlake

I like the Fox newscast. I don't watch it because it's at 9 or because of Chera. I just like it better than the same old stuff from the other stations same old reporters....no offense.

Because of Chera...how could anyone find her to be anything but charming.  And not to attack, but you don't watch it, but you do advertise on it...do you find the content objectional?  My beef with Fox 23 is more personal...but I do enjoy hearing others opinions.
naenae42day
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 08:53:10 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by EricP

I've taken quite a liking to KJRH's news in HD. They even have one of Fox's old guys there. I completely ditched KOTV and Fox 23 other than the occasional skim for weather info over on KOTV.

They have George and Justin.  George is the BOMB!!! He was dealt a crap hand by FOX 23, but I think he is SO much better off.
Fox 23 has lost most of their decent talent.
George, now Jon Slater.  Justin, Jace Verhoeven, Marcus, Noelle Newton, we only see Janna Clark 1x per week, hell I even prefered Ron Terrell when he was the Sports Director.  Seems more his style...I not much for Ann, I think CArrie or Mia do a much cleaner newscast.  But if you want to keep quality people on staff...u have to be willing to pay a competitive wage, and not bend your employees over the 'proverbial
 table'
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org