A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 04:24:02 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's Name the Oklahoma NBA Team!  (Read 24826 times)
Johnboy976
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 07:43:42 am »

Btw, we have a great following of people who now hate OKC and are not from anywhere close to Tulsa. Many of the basketball loving Washingtonians would love to gouge out Clay Bennett's eyes, and burn OKC to the ground. As such, I am sure that they have come up with some nice names for the team.
okcpulse
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 09:34:51 am »

Wow, nice attitude, jerks.  So it's okay for every other city to 'steal' a team, but OH NO, NOT OKC.  We can't let them progress.

One day, this country will be in shambles.  And I will be laughing at all you people stuck in this ****hole you call a country.

Johnboy976
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 09:48:04 am »

I just tell it as I hear it. But wouldn't you be hacked if your city lost their franchise? A franchise that they had for several decades?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 10:26:28 am »

I haven't seen this kinda of uprising over a team move in years. I kept seeing news story after news story with crying seattleites, "save our sonics" t-shirts, etc.

And Tulsa isn't upset because they got the seattle franchise. Tulsa is upset because they specifically said they had to use demographics from Tulsa to get the franchise but the idea of making it a state team was ludicrous even though something like 40% of the NBA teams are state teams. Not only that, everyone knows giving a team a state identity gets more fans and more merchandise and ticket sales. How many people do you think would go to a "Norman Sooners" game?

Also, at one time the idea of playing any games in Tulsa was ludicrous and now they are at least starting to cave on that angle.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 10:55:45 am »

quote:
Originally posted by okcpulse

Wow, nice attitude, jerks.  So it's okay for every other city to 'steal' a team, but OH NO, NOT OKC.  We can't let them progress.

One day, this country will be in shambles.  And I will be laughing at all you people stuck in this ****hole you call a country.

And what country is it, exactly, you live in?

Wow.  This just affirms my opinion of people from down the pike.  You guys can keep your crappy NBA franchise and name it OKC Whatevers.  I won't follow or participate economically in it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
HazMatCFO
Civic Leader

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 11:36:43 am »

My vote is the Noodlers...

You could have a giant Catfish for a mascot and noodling contests at pre-game or halftime for big prizes.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 11:39:19 am »

pancakes does "Barons" have to do with OKC?
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 01:54:31 pm »

quote:

All you have to do is name the team the "Oklahoma XYZ" instead of the "Oklahoma City XYZ" and we might be convinced to get on board.

And where do you live, France?
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 02:36:45 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd

quote:

All you have to do is name the team the "Oklahoma XYZ" instead of the "Oklahoma City XYZ" and we might be convinced to get on board.

What he said.

I'm not much of an NBA fan, but if I were, I would probably watch OKC games and root for whatever team is playing them (I already do that for several sports programs, imcluding one which is extremely popular in thse parts).  It's great fun.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 03:41:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by twizzler

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

What does "Lakers" have to do with Los Angeles or "Jazz" have to do with Utah or "Grizzlies" have to do with Memphis?

Let's see...

First, the Lakers were originally from Minneapolis.
Second, the Jazz were originally from New Orleans.
Third, the Grizzlies were orginally from Vancouver.

Google is your friend.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 03:57:08 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

What does "Lakers" have to do with Los Angeles or "Jazz" have to do with Utah or "Grizzlies" have to do with Memphis?

To be fair, those nicknames moved with the teams to their new cities.  The name "Barons" if it is chosen will be first used for the OKC team.  Kinda like the St Louis Rams and the Arizona (nee Phoenix) Cardinals.  Those names never sounded right to me, and never will.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2008, 06:14:49 pm »

quote:
However, the point of my post was to show that Barons (as in oil barons) was a much closer tie to the area than a few legacy names in the league. Especially since at least one modern day oil baron helped buy the team.

With gas prices the way they are (that is becoming the big cliche of the late 00s), I don't think I would want to associate my team with oil executives, much less make an oil executive the team mascot.  Kinda like having a team called the "Dictators"* in 1933.

*In the 1930s, Studebaker's entry level car was called the Dictator.  A young man from Austria's actions led to the discontinuation of the model.
okcpulse
Civic Leader

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2008, 08:16:37 pm »

Wow. This just affirms my opinion of people from down the pike. You guys can keep your crappy NBA franchise and name it OKC Whatevers. I won't follow or participate economically in it.

I know what country I live in, and it is being bastardized by a society that is self-serving and over-privileged.  I love America, but I hate what is being done to our country.  There is no unity here.  None whatsoever, and this thread proves it.  

Hey, I'm sorry they didn't plan to give the NBA team an 'Oklahoma ....' name. But I seriously doubt if Tulsa got a pro team using the state's demographics, the team would have been given a state name.  You have to admit that.  I personally prefer the 'Oklahoma .... ' but I can't control that.

marc
Activist

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2008, 11:34:36 pm »

Team franchises move all the time. Baltimore Colts fans, including Johnny Unitas, were angry when their team was sent to Indianapolis. Cleveland Browns fans were upset when the team owner moved them to Baltimore.

I really don't think of Clay Bennett or OKC as robber barons. And I wonder if Seattle had "stolen" a team from OKC if the same fuss would be made, or would everyone say it's just wonderful that the team is leaving a "dust bowl" town for a shining, shimmering, magical city?

It would be nice if the new team could be named after the state rather than OKC, but at least some exhibition games may be played in Tulsa, and maybe some regular season games as well, on down the road when the novelty of having the NBA in OKC wears off a bit. Bennett seems fairly open to the general idea of a state team, while the OKC mayor appears to be more territorial.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 11:36:01 pm by marc » Logged

azbadpuppy
Philanthropist

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2008, 12:20:30 am »

quote:

Wow. This just affirms my opinion of people from down the pike. You guys can keep your crappy NBA franchise and name it OKC Whatevers. I won't follow or participate economically in it.

I know what country I live in, and it is being bastardized by a society that is self-serving and over-privileged.  I love America, but I hate what is being done to our country.  There is no unity here.  None whatsoever, and this thread proves it.  

Hey, I'm sorry they didn't plan to give the NBA team an 'Oklahoma ....' name. But I seriously doubt if Tulsa got a pro team using the state's demographics, the team would have been given a state name.  You have to admit that.  I personally prefer the 'Oklahoma .... ' but I can't control that.

Actually, when Tulsa did get a pro football team in 1984, albeit very short lived, they were named the 'Oklahoma Outlaws'.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org