A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 04:20:20 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's Name the Oklahoma NBA Team!  (Read 24812 times)
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2008, 03:32:52 am »

Oklahoma City Gaylords

inteller
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2008, 08:46:48 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kenosha

Oklahoma City Gaylords

one can only hope.

How about OKC (grapes of) Wrath
okcpulse
Civic Leader

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2008, 09:49:34 am »

And when Oklahoma City had the state's only AFL team, it was called the Oklahoma Wranglers.  We also have the state's only Triple A baseball team, the Oklahoma RedHawks.  And in 1995, we had the state's only RHI roller hockey team, the Oklahoma Coyotes.

You guys act as though OKC had never considered the option.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2008, 09:53:46 am »

quote:
Originally posted by okcpulse

And when Oklahoma City had the state's only AFL team, it was called the Oklahoma Wranglers.  We also have the state's only Triple A baseball team, the Oklahoma RedHawks.  And in 1995, we had the state's only RHI roller hockey team, the Oklahoma Coyotes.

Hey, how about you stop using state tax dollars to pad the bottom line on your team and we will all feel a little better about it. k?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2008, 10:36:50 am »

quote:
Originally posted by swake

quote:

Hey, how about you stop using state tax dollars to pad the bottom line on your team and we will all feel a little better about it. k?

+1

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2008, 04:13:35 pm »

quote:

And what country is it, exactly, you live in?

Wow. This just affirms my opinion of people from down the pike. You guys can keep your crappy NBA franchise and name it OKC Whatevers. I won't follow or participate economically in it.

I know what country I live in, and it is being bastardized by a society that is self-serving and over-privileged.  I love America, but I hate what is being done to our country.  There is no unity here.  None whatsoever, and this thread proves it.  

Hey, I'm sorry they didn't plan to give the NBA team an 'Oklahoma ....' name. But I seriously doubt if Tulsa got a pro team using the state's demographics, the team would have been given a state name.  You have to admit that.  I personally prefer the 'Oklahoma .... ' but I can't control that.

I can't control it either.  But I can control my money and support, and neither will find their way to the NBA via OKC.

And didn't Tulsa have a USFL team called the Oklahoma (somethings)?
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2008, 04:26:07 pm »

Meat Rockets....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2008, 04:32:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bugo

quote:

Wow. This just affirms my opinion of people from down the pike. You guys can keep your crappy NBA franchise and name it OKC Whatevers. I won't follow or participate economically in it.

I know what country I live in, and it is being bastardized by a society that is self-serving and over-privileged.  I love America, but I hate what is being done to our country.  There is no unity here.  None whatsoever, and this thread proves it.  

Hey, I'm sorry they didn't plan to give the NBA team an 'Oklahoma ....' name. But I seriously doubt if Tulsa got a pro team using the state's demographics, the team would have been given a state name.  You have to admit that.  I personally prefer the 'Oklahoma .... ' but I can't control that.

I can't control it either.  But I can control my money and support, and neither will find their way to the NBA via OKC.

They absolutely did.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

azbadpuppy
Philanthropist

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2008, 05:16:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bugo

quote:

Um, yes. As stated 6 posts above, it was the Oklahoma Outlaws.

okcpulse
Civic Leader

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2008, 10:02:15 pm »

Me???  I personally did not write the state legislature to extend tax breaks to the NBA team.    But go on and continue attacking all 1.2 million Oklahoma City and metro residents.  Because you know we are all in on the scheme.  Sheesh.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2008, 10:31:48 pm »

quote:

Me???  I personally did not write the state legislature to extend tax breaks to the NBA team.    But go on and continue attacking all 1.2 million Oklahoma City and metro residents.  Because you know we are all in on the scheme.  Sheesh.

You guys are a bit hypersensitive these days.  Believe it or not, I've been defending the citizens of OKC and their attacks by Seattleites.  What I won't defend, though, is the complicity of said citizens with a jackass of a mayor who wants to include Tulsa in the demographic, but when it's time to name the team, all bets are off.

You guys thought we had a bad mayor?  My vote for 'Most Like Chicago Mayor Richard Daly' goes to Mick Cornett, World Class D-Bag.  I thought Humphreys was bad, but this guy makes Hump look like a Deacon.

USRufnex
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2008, 10:48:21 pm »

Geez, louise.... who's being hypersensitive here?!?

Oklahoma City citizens voted in March... local taxes are being paid for arena upgrades...

If Mayor Mick would have kissed Tulsa's pinky-ring and agreed that the team should go by "Oklahoma" and not "Oklahoma City," he'd likely lose his job in the next mayoral election...

Last time I checked, Tulsa voters don't get to choose OKC's next mayor...

Many, many Tulsans will go down to OKC to watch some NBA games.  And those Tulsans who don't have that annoying anti-OKC microchip implanted in the back of their heads will actually ENJOY rooting for the OKC team on tv...

If Tulsans approved a couple of hundred million dollars in local tax money to attract an NHL team after approving local tax money that built the arena in the first place a few years earlier, the very same TulsaNow posters currently whining and threatening a boycott of OKC's NBA club would DEMAND a Tulsa NHL club be called "Tulsa" and not "Oklahoma."  And the city of Tulsa would naturally use OKC as part of their market in a heartbeat......

Can we turn down the Tulsa versus OKC vitriol on this subject... please.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 10:49:34 pm by USRufnex » Logged
marc
Activist

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2008, 12:00:07 am »

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex

Many, many Tulsans will go down to OKC to watch some NBA games.  And those Tulsans who don't have that annoying anti-OKC microchip implanted in the back of their heads will actually ENJOY rooting for the OKC team on tv...

That is true, just as many Tulsans went to the Ford Center to see The Eagles, The Stones, Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton and The Dave Matthews Band, as well as the Billy Graham Crusade.

And the Ford Center being booked with NBA games might mean a few more concerts for Tulsa's new arena.

The NBA coming is great for the entire state. Sure, it will be benefit OKC the most (by far), but Tulsa will see some benefits as well.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2008, 07:09:15 am »

quote:

We act that way because Mick Cornett basically said it was a ridiculous idea and you just disproved him as much as we did.
BDP
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2008, 01:33:06 pm »

quote:
Tulsa is upset because they specifically said they had to use demographics from Tulsa to get the franchise but the idea of making it a state team was ludicrous even though something like 40% of the NBA teams are state teams.

I am assuming that you meant to say that only 5 teams (Indiana, Minnesota, New Jersey, Golden State and Utah) in the NBA have state names, and not 40%, because that's all there is. That would actually be 17%.

In addition, the NFL, MLB, and NHL have 5 teams each that do not use city names, for 16-17% of those leagues, as well.

In any event, the reality is that 100% of the teams in all of those leagues depend on drawing from outside of the municipal boundaries of the city in which they play (in fact, some don't even play within the city they are named after) and a lot of them draw from farther away, in both distance and time traveled, than Tulsa is from Oklahoma City. The fact is that it's just not done that often and it doesn't seem like most teams have to worry about offending the ego of its surrounding markets to the point where they feel the need to not honor their host city. Many teams bearing the name of a city ARE in fact that state's team and it's a shame that many in Tulsa seem unwilling to enjoy this new entertainment option coming to the state because it bears the name 'Oklahoma City'.

Given what Oklahoma City has done in order to land this team over the last 15 years combined with the fact that it will play in Oklahoma City, it just makes sense that it would be named after that city. Granted, I guess there are some that have to feel included no matter what their contribution, and it would have been a nice gesture to appease those potential customers, but to insinuate that it is somehow owed to them is kind of bizarre, really.

Hopefully, Tulsa's new arena will attract a major league team and HOPEFULLY it will be named after Tulsa because that city will have earned it and including the name of the city would be the least any owner could do. I certainly know that, even if it gets a state tax break (which I don't think any team should), that having Tulsa in the teams name would be a non-factor in deciding whether I went to watch a game in the beautiful new facility up there. In fact, I think it would be weak to name a Tulsa team after the state. You don't need it and it wouldn’t be the proper thing to do, given your investment. And, honestly, I hope that it happens for Tulsa a lot quicker than it did for Oklahoma City, and, really, it should happen faster, given the better perception generally held of Tulsa than of Oklahoma City.

What's really stupid is how many people in Oklahoma actively root for and support teams in other cities, named after those cities, like Dallas, Kansas City, Houston, St Louis, Chicago, etc. that now say they won't support a team in Oklahoma just because it's named after its host city and not the state. Some here are even going to root against it, because they feel so burned and left out.

It's just so funny what a non-issue this should be, but not surprising when you consider that it stems from one of the biggest non-issues in existence: the Oklahoma City / Tulsa "rivalry".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org