A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 12:31:59 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are differences between the good and bad debt  (Read 7113 times)
Agung
« on: August 23, 2008, 12:55:13 am »

What are differences between the good and bad debt?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 06:30:15 am »

Good is debt I am owed.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 08:15:57 am »

I would guess with good debt, the long range return is greater than the short term loss.

http://www.mrswing.com/artman/publish/best-financial-blogs/How_to_Become_Wealthy_Redefining_the_Idea_of_Money.shtml

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 10:46:08 am »

Home Mortgage=good debt

Credit Cards=bad debt

Student loans=good debt

Gambling/Bookie/Dealer=bad debt

Trust but verify
OUGrad05
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 10:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by unreliablesource

Home Mortgage=good debt

Credit Cards=bad debt

Student loans=good debt

Student loans aren't good debt, just ask my wife.  

Work your way through school and PAY for it and you'll have immense freedom once you graduate Smiley

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 10:55:54 am »

I swear my bookie and my insurance guy are the same.

I pay a little every month. If something good happens, my bookie pays...if something bad happens, my insurance man pays.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 12:08:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by OUGrad05

quote:

Home Mortgage=good debt

Credit Cards=bad debt

Student loans=good debt

Work your way through school and PAY for it and you'll have immense freedom once you graduate Smiley

Education enriches your mind. That's a good thing.  Some career choices are more financially rewarding than others.  I was fortunate enough to go to college when a middle class parent and summer job working student could pay for school without a loan.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 12:34:15 pm »

Its such an alien concept to me that someones parents would help pay for their kids college. Mine were like..."Pay for your own danged college, I paid for mine" "why should I give you MY hard earned money? Earn your own danged money." "Now get the he11 out of my house!" lol.

I said "hellooo army and GI bill, and working 2 jobs while going to college at the same time".
No loans, and no parental strings attatched either lol.

I have an old saying that is sooooooo very true.

Nothing, nothing, nothing, in life is free.
 Every smile, every bit of happiness, every feel good moment. You either earn it, or you WILL pay for it later.  And that old credit card of life can have one whopper of an interest rate, so beware.  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
OUGrad05
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 12:52:13 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Arrow

quote:

quote:

Home Mortgage=good debt

Credit Cards=bad debt

Student loans=good debt

Education enriches your mind. That's a good thing.  Some career choices are more financially rewarding than others.  I was fortunate enough to go to college when a middle class parent and summer job working student could pay for school without a loan.

It's entirely possible to pay for a college education today.  It takes sacrifice, in otherwords, you aren't partying your donkey off all the time but it can be done.  I did it.  It took 5 years but I did it by working full time while I was in school.  Total outlay by my parents was less than a thousand bucks as my dad helped with books.  I also paid my mom 450/mo rent while in school...so it can be done, just takes sacrifice.

Steve
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 04:14:53 pm »

quote:

It's entirely possible to pay for a college education today.  It takes sacrifice, in otherwords, you aren't partying your donkey off all the time but it can be done.  I did it.  It took 5 years but I did it by working full time while I was in school.  Total outlay by my parents was less than a thousand bucks as my dad helped with books.  I also paid my mom 450/mo rent while in school...so it can be done, just takes sacrifice.

What a refreshing story.  I am of your parent's generation, but have a similar story.  I graduated from TU with my bachelors degree in 1979, totally debt free.  Got my MBA in 1983, going back to night classes and taking advantage of employer continuing education benefits.

I decided years ago, that for me, any type of debt was "bad debt."  Be it credit card, mortgage, or whatever.  For the past 6 years, I have lived my life debt-free after paying off my home mortgage 13 years early.  I have continued since then to live "pay as you go."  It is great, not having monthly credit card statements and such, knowing that you are living within your means.  My thinking is that if I can't pay cash, I can't afford it, and that has served me well for many years.
OUGrad05
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 04:59:25 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

quote:

What a refreshing story.  I am of your parent's generation, but have a similar story.  I graduated from TU with my bachelors degree in 1979, totally debt free.  Got my MBA in 1983, going back to night classes and taking advantage of employer continuing education benefits.

I decided years ago, that for me, any type of debt was "bad debt."  Be it credit card, mortgage, or whatever.  For the past 6 years, I have lived my life debt-free after paying off my home mortgage 13 years early.  I have continued since then to live "pay as you go."  It is great, not having monthly credit card statements and such, knowing that you are living within your means.  My thinking is that if I can't pay cash, I can't afford it, and that has served me well for many years.

I agree completely, while I'm not "opposed" to mortgage debt I also view all debt as bad.  But I do have a mortgage.  Car debt is also something I shy away from or try to minimize.  Cash is king and more often then not you find yourself spending less because you dont' really "need" that new shirt, those jeans or that expensive TV.  If you really want/need it you'll find yourself motivated to save and pay for it.  

On the subject of this thread I view mortgage debt as acceptable and car debt.  The ONLY way car debt is acceptable is if you put enough down that you are NEVER upside down and you can pay the car off in 24 months.  I personally still prefer no car debt and am saving for my next car right now...hopefully it will be a cash purchase in 2010 Smiley

Student loans are nothing more than another way modern society has justified debt and attaining things they either can't afford or do not want to make the real sacrifices for.  My parents gave me less than a thousand dollars worth of help...total help from family total was about 2500 bucks.  The semester my dad got a brain tumor and died I incurred a LOT of expenses included working substantially less for obvious reasons.  My grandpa helped me pay my tuition off that semester as the last 1500 bucks I just couldn't manage to do.  He was also a big anti debt guy and a business owner and new I was working my donkey off.  He told me from that point forward if I never need help to let him know that he wouldn't allow me to go into debt.  Thankfully I did not need his help after that, and he died the following year Sad

But you can do almost anything debt free INCLUDING school if you want it bad enough and are willing to make the sacrifices to do it.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 12:49:16 am »

Not sure if I'm a good dad or bad dad for paying for my daughter's college after reading some comments here.  Overall, fall and spring this year will tip the scale at about $13,500 before a $2000 scholarship.  That's inclusive of room & board.  My plan is not to incur any debt as a result and I don't want her to either.  

Hopefully she will have one of the scholarship positions on the rowing team next fall and she will have a full-ride, but who knows.  If I have to go "COD" for all four years all will still be fine.

My mother paid for my college and didn't go in debt to do it.  I consider myself fortunate to have had that and want to offer that oppty to my kids.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
OUGrad05
Civic Leader

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 09:21:40 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Not sure if I'm a good dad or bad dad for paying for my daughter's college after reading some comments here.  Overall, fall and spring this year will tip the scale at about $13,500 before a $2000 scholarship.  That's inclusive of room & board.  My plan is not to incur any debt as a result and I don't want her to either.  

Hopefully she will have one of the scholarship positions on the rowing team next fall and she will have a full-ride, but who knows.  If I have to go "COD" for all four years all will still be fine.

My mother paid for my college and didn't go in debt to do it.  I consider myself fortunate to have had that and want to offer that oppty to my kids.

I dont think paying for your kids school makes you a bad dad, nor am I trying to come off as judgemental.  We all view things through a different lense perspective.  What I would do, is urge you to have your kids work part time while in school and especially during the summers.  They'll always try to find a way/excuse out of it but it will be good for them in the long run and they'll appreciate it more.  I'd also urge you to not pay for 100% of their college.  But again thats just me and MY opinion.  I don't think there's any right or wrong answer on this.

My wife and I plan on starting to have kids in a few years, right now we're investing money each month in a "college" account.  Then when a kid is born we take some money out of that account and put it into a 529.  The goal is to pay for a minimum of their first full year of school and we'd consider paying half of it.  But at this point we're thinking scholarships/grants and them working and saving can pay for the rest of it.  Neither me nor my wife (I grew up poor she grew up well off) had our college paid for and we both feel it makes us appreciate it more and it provides real perspective on life in a time when kids are partying and thinking life is all candy and nuts.

citicredit.asia
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 08:56:04 pm »

Debt in and of itself is not a bad thing. Both of us were able to start our own businesses because of debt; Steve began his own law practice, and Azriela began her own entrepreneurial consulting business. So we understand what debt is and why some debt is great debt.
Debt that helps you, enriches your life, is manageable, and is not a burden can be called good debt. For example, student loans are good debt if they enabled you to get through school and further your life goals. They are bad debt if you dropped out of medical school after one year to become a writer. A good debt helps; a bad debt hinders.
www.citicredit.asia
OUGrad05
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 08:59:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by citicredit.asia

Debt in and of itself is not a bad thing. Both of us were able to start our own businesses because of debt; Steve began his own law practice, and Azriela began her own entrepreneurial consulting business. So we understand what debt is and why some debt is great debt.
Debt that helps you, enriches your life, is manageable, and is not a burden can be called good debt. For example, student loans are good debt if they enabled you to get through school and further your life goals. They are bad debt if you dropped out of medical school after one year to become a writer. A good debt helps; a bad debt hinders.
www.citicredit.asia

Stats show and prove that more than 85% of small businesses fail.  Of those small businesses that fail 92% of them fail because of debt soaking up their cashflow.  Thats the ugly side of the statistic that most poeple in the lending business refuse to talk about it.  

You could start a business without debt, greatly increase the chances of its success and ultimately wind up in the same spot or even further ahead.  Some of the best businesses in their respective fields are run with little or no debt.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org