A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2024, 12:29:24 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BOK Center - Open House  (Read 18777 times)
Porky
« on: August 30, 2008, 06:05:42 pm »

I can't wait to read what all of you thought of the BOK Center, that went today? I'm completely speechless on what I saw. The best way I can explain the BOK Center is to image yourself in the nicest and classiest airport terminal in the world, with an arena built right square dab in the middle of it. Absolutely unbelievable how nice of an arena we have. 8-)

Here's some of the pictures I took today: http://sportstoday.proboards58.com/index.cgi?board=porky&action=display&thread=606
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 06:06:32 pm by Porky » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 06:18:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Porky

I can't wait to read what all of you thought of the BOK Center, that went today? I'm completely speechless on what I saw. The best way I can explain the BOK Center is to image yourself in the nicest and classiest airport terminal in the world, with an arena built right square dab in the middle of it. Absolutely unbelievable how nice of an arena we have. 8-)

Here's some of the pictures I took today: http://sportstoday.proboards58.com/index.cgi?board=porky&action=display&thread=606

I started feeling poorly about 12pm, but I took my mother down there and we got there before 10am.  Parking was actually not that difficult, and given that my mom requires a wheelchair and I have a blue hangtag (but wound up not using a blue space) that was pretty simple.  The walk wasn't bad.

I was struck how inviting the space was.  There was just so much openness in the grand lobby to the entrance to the lower bowl it was hard to describe.  It lends itself to the wow factor for sure.

Here are my photos.  Not as many as yours, but variety, dontcha know!

BOK Center Grand Opening

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Porky
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 06:39:23 pm »

Great pics, Hoss.

I can't tell you how brutal the heat was there today.

On the parking situation........I'm guessing there were 2-3,000 people there today when the doors opened. Even with the Jehovah Witnesses having a convention next door, parking wasn't a problem.

Today was an exercise for our city of Tulsa to see what they needed to address. They will address the parking and shuttles will be running the routes where parking is available. So parking isn't going to be a problem at all.

The only problem I saw today and I hate to say this because I thought the idea was really neat. Those 3 wheel bicycles that shuttle people back and forth from the Blue Dome district will have to go. They had traffic backed up everywhere. I think there is an answer to keep them going and that is for the city to allow them to use the sidewalls for their travels.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 07:22:06 pm »

quote:

Great pics, Hoss.

I can't tell you how brutal the heat was there today.

On the parking situation........I'm guessing there were 2-3,000 people there today when the doors opened. Even with the Jehovah Witnesses having a convention next door, parking wasn't a problem.

Today was an exercise for our city of Tulsa to see what they needed to address. They will address the parking and shuttles will be running the routes where parking is available. So parking isn't going to be a problem at all.

The only problem I saw today and I hate to say this because I thought the idea was really neat. Those 3 wheel bicycles that shuttle people back and forth from the Blue Dome district will have to go. They had traffic backed up everywhere. I think there is an answer to keep them going and that is for the city to allow them to use the sidewalls for their travels.

I know; we got there around 9:30 and sat over by the trolley until we got in.  Stayed until just after noon.  It was quite warm, but more humid than hot.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

citizen72
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 07:57:10 pm »

Went to the open house with about eight people and everyone was just awed. Great facility.

Questions from our group.

1. Are they going to put down floor covering where there is none now?

2. Will the raw concrete be finished with paint or skimcoat?

^^^^^

"Never a skillful sailor made who always sailed calm seas."
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 08:00:51 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by citizen72

Went to the open house with about eight people and everyone was just awed. Great facility.

If you're talking about upper concourse, the answer is no.  All sealed concrete up above.

If you're talking about carpeting, the answer is only in the premium level.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 09:10:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by citizen72

The arena is finished. If at some point a donor wants to pay for terrazo on the 3rd level (upper concourse) then it will get it. Otherwise, no. Keep in mind the upper concourse only get 20% of the traffic the lower one does.

Any unpainted concrete was intentionally unpainted. Part of the "feel" they were going for. Don't ask me, I didn't design it.
HazMatCFO
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 05:32:47 am »

quote:

Thank you for the pictures. The BOK Center looks good.
AMP
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 08:15:53 am »

Took the tour and spoke to several people there that were representing the building, but left with a few unanswered questions.  

Anyone have any specs on the Arena such as the dimensions of the cargo doors that enter the floor at the BOK Arena?  Heigth, Width and are they a straight shot outside with no turns?

Dimensions of the floor in feet?

Load limit, per square foot, on the arena floor that has the icing system inside it?

Can you drive a semi tractor with trailer, full size dump truck or skid loader onto the arena floor?

Where does the large scoreboard store
during events that need that space overhead?
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 08:47:09 am »

The concrete mirrors the exterior concrete. It is a design element throughout.

I'm glad someone else thought "airport" when they were in there. Kathy Taylor was there, and talking to the visitors. I got to chit chat with her and she even posed with me for a picture. It's a great facility, and I can't wait to go to my first couple of shows!

---Robert
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 09:19:54 am »

I really like how open and welcoming this facility feels. I disliked going to things at the old convention center arena precisely because it always felt so dark, depressing and dungeon like. Being in this building is like a breath of fresh air in comparison. Very nice. Plus just going into the building and being in those beautiful spaces makes an event feel like a real event.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 09:21:19 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 10:39:03 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

I really like how open and welcoming this facility feels. I disliked going to things at the old convention center arena precisely because it always felt so dark, depressing and dungeon like. Being in this building is like a breath of fresh air in comparison. Very nice. Plus just going into the building and being in those beautiful spaces makes an event feel like a real event.

Enjoy the party.

The Vision 2025 Sales Tax hangover will be with us for another 8 years.......

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 12:13:27 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Friendly Bear

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

Enjoy the party.

The Vision 2025 Sales Tax hangover will be with us for another 8 years.......

What do you mean?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 12:33:35 pm »

**Note to all posters: ignore the damn bear**

Back on topic:

We took the kids yesterday and we had a great time.  What a gem for our city!!  It tells visitors that we are a first class town even if we aren't the largest megalopolis in the midwest.  And man are we ever gonna use this thing!!!

Thanks for the pics you all...those were great shots of the new crown jewel of our city.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 12:37:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

Took the tour and spoke to several people there that were representing the building, but left with a few unanswered questions.  

Anyone have any specs on the Arena such as the dimensions of the cargo doors that enter the floor at the BOK Arena?  Heigth, Width and are they a straight shot outside with no turns?

Dimensions of the floor in feet?

Load limit, per square foot, on the arena floor that has the icing system inside it?

Can you drive a semi tractor with trailer, full size dump truck or skid loader onto the arena floor?

Where does the large scoreboard store
during events that need that space overhead?

I'll answer out of order.

The scoreboard fully retracts into the ceiling, there is a gap between the catwalks.

I don't know about a semi tractor for sure but this was designed with those types of events in mind. The PRCA has to haul in and move dirt around and they were very pleased with the facilities.

The arena floor is a straight shot to the loading dock. If you drive onto the loading dock then it's a 90-ish degree turn from the ramp towards the arena floor.

I have passed your other questions on to someone who can answer them better.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org