A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2024, 12:26:39 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BOK Center - Open House  (Read 18765 times)
Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 05:11:04 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

quote:
Originally posted by Friendly Bear

quote:

I really like how open and welcoming this facility feels. I disliked going to things at the old convention center arena precisely because it always felt so dark, depressing and dungeon like. Being in this building is like a breath of fresh air in comparison. Very nice. Plus just going into the building and being in those beautiful spaces makes an event feel like a real event.

Enjoy the party.

The Vision 2025 Sales Tax hangover will be with us for another 8 years.......

What do you mean?

The additional 6/10 cent Vision 2025 Sales Tax hangover does not abate until 1-1-2017.

At that juncture, I'm absolutely positive that the local Tax Vampires will attempt to extend it, advertising that it will not "increase" taxes.

Any bets?

Next bet:

Within five years, the City Operating budget will have a annual $5 million additional operating costs due to the Arena, above and beyond any revenue received after the management company is taken care of...

Any bets?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 06:07:41 pm by Friendly Bear » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 06:51:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

Took the tour and spoke to several people there that were representing the building, but left with a few unanswered questions.  

Anyone have any specs on the Arena such as the dimensions of the cargo doors that enter the floor at the BOK Arena?  Heigth, Width and are they a straight shot outside with no turns?

Dimensions of the floor in feet?

Load limit, per square foot, on the arena floor that has the icing system inside it?

Can you drive a semi tractor with trailer, full size dump truck or skid loader onto the arena floor?

Where does the large scoreboard store
during events that need that space overhead?

I'll answer out of order.

The scoreboard fully retracts into the ceiling, there is a gap between the catwalks.

I don't know about a semi tractor for sure but this was designed with those types of events in mind. The PRCA has to haul in and move dirt around and they were very pleased with the facilities.

The arena floor is a straight shot to the loading dock. If you drive onto the loading dock then it's a 90-ish degree turn from the ramp towards the arena floor.

I have passed your other questions on to someone who can answer them better.

Scott, doesn't the bottom two sections of the scoreboard collapse up into the main section, creating an even shorter profile to store?  Or did I read some of the literature wrong?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 08:06:04 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I really like how open and welcoming this facility feels. I disliked going to things at the old convention center arena precisely because it always felt so dark, depressing and dungeon like. Being in this building is like a breath of fresh air in comparison. Very nice. Plus just going into the building and being in those beautiful spaces makes an event feel like a real event.

Enjoy the party.

The Vision 2025 Sales Tax hangover will be with us for another 8 years.......

What do you mean?

The additional 6/10 cent Vision 2025 Sales Tax hangover does not abate until 1-1-2017.

At that juncture, I'm absolutely positive that the local Tax Vampires will attempt to extend it, advertising that it will not "increase" taxes.

Any bets?

Next bet:

Within five years, the City Operating budget will have a annual $5 million additional operating costs due to the Arena, above and beyond any revenue received after the management company is taken care of...

Any bets?

Ummm, So? And your point is? lol

Oooh guess what... the sky is blue,,, water is wet, and it gets rather hot in August in Oklahoma. [Tongue]

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 08:33:22 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hoss

Scott, doesn't the bottom two sections of the scoreboard collapse up into the main section, creating an even shorter profile to store?  Or did I read some of the literature wrong?

I've got some closeups and ot looks like the large ring is securely fastened in place and is immovable. The bottom ring might move but that only buys you a couple of feet.
AMP
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 09:41:29 pm »

MsProudSooner
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 03:35:37 pm »

I arrived in the area before the opening ceremonies were finished.  After deciding I didn't want to wait in the sweltering sun to get inside, I ran a short errand and came back.  I parked in the parking garage on 1st street.  Great location, but the elevator isn't working, which meant 5 stories of stairs for me!

I was very impressed with the BOK Center.  The main entrance area is very striking.  The ramp leading to the 3rd level is very nice.  The concourses seem wider than in the AA Center in Dallas, which is a good thing.  

A couple of questions and a comment.

1)  How many actual entrances to the building are there?  I went in at the main entrance and saw the entrance by the box office.  Are there others?

2)  Are there multiple escalators to the 3rd level or just one?  

Was it just me or could the replay screen on the scoreboard have been bigger?  

Overall, I think it's very impressive and I look forward to taking out of town visitors to see it.
SDTULSA
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 05:06:55 pm »

Any news if they are going to replace the large dented panels on the outside of BOK center?  I was also curious why they did not clean up the water stains all over the building for the event???  Besides those 2 things I was blown away with the BOK Center and love the open feeling on the inside and hope they build up the area around it with a nice hotel, etc.
Porky
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 05:36:51 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SDTULSA

Any news if they are going to replace the large dented panels on the outside of BOK center?  

I saw that as well, here's a picture on some of the damage and there was another area that I saw and it had tire marks on it. So I think it's the lawnmovers that are doing this damage.

No biggie, they just need to put a wood chip wide area around the building. My only concern was what would happen if the BOK was hit by a bad hail storm. Maybe they could rig up nets to drop when a storm like that would be incoming?

Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 05:59:15 pm »

quote:

Any news if they are going to replace the large dented panels on the outside of BOK center?  I was also curious why they did not clean up the water stains all over the building for the event???  Besides those 2 things I was blown away with the BOK Center and love the open feeling on the inside and hope they build up the area around it with a nice hotel, etc.

Did someone scrimp and buy low-nickel content stainless steel panels?

Oh, you say we PAID for high nickel content stainless steel, and someone might have pulled a switcheroo?

Hence, already rusting......THAT's certainly iconic.

A one day old, $200 million Arena with rust streaks.

Bart Boatwright, WHERE are you?

Oh, back to working full time for Flintco.

Figures.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:13:12 pm by Friendly Bear » Logged
Porky
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2008, 07:15:29 pm »

quote:

I agree, and I also think that is why there is such a glare from the siding. Hopefully they'll get the right stuff on the side of the building.
citizen72
Civic Leader

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008, 10:23:49 pm »

quote:

quote:

Oh, you say we PAID for high nickel content stainless steel, and someone might have pulled a switcheroo?

Hence, already rusting......THAT's certainly iconic.

A one day old, $200 million Arena with rust streaks.

Bart Boatwright, WHERE are you?

Oh, back to working full time for Flintco.

Figures.

I surely hope that did not happen. For the want of good management we may be stuck with an inferior product. Submittals and shop drawings my man. Geeeez!

^^^^^

"Never a skillful sailor made who always sailed calm seas."
atrue67
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 01:52:22 am »

I have been a lurker on this site for years and learned several things from you all, so thank you!

BOK CENTER...
Awesome facility and very proud it is in Tulsa!

But...
Where is the disabled parking area?
Do I really have to wheel up that huge curved ramp to get to the higher level?
Do I have to park 6 blocks away and hope for decent weather to and from the building?
If I am using my prosthesis instead of a wheelchair, is there a way to get to my seats that are close to the ice/field without walking up and down 50 stairs?
Is this building REALLY up to the proper code for ADA?

All info would be greatly appreciated.
Porky
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 04:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by atrue67

But...
Do I have to park 6 blocks away and hope for decent weather to and from the building?
If I am using my prosthesis instead of a wheelchair, is there a way to get to my seats that are close to the ice/field without walking up and down 50 stairs?

Trust me you don't want to be in the upper level, it's extremely steep. Them youngsters will enjoy it however.

They had great wheelchair viewing on the 2nd level. There was also an elevator for them to us near by.

Wish I could tell you more.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 05:06:34 am »

quote:
Originally posted by atrue67

I have been a lurker on this site for years and learned several things from you all, so thank you!

BOK CENTER...
Awesome facility and very proud it is in Tulsa!

But...

There is no parking period, therefore no handicap spaces. The area on the south side is meant for drop-off however.

You can take the many elevators instead of the ramp.

For 80% of the events you can park no more than a block away. For the other 20% you can park and ride the shuttle straight to the BOK Center.

I would say if you were considering season tickets to Oilers or Talons you might talk to them about coming in at the event level and walking up instead.

At the time of completion, this is the most ADA compliant Arena in the Nation.

atrue67
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 06:00:34 am »

Is it seriously that high up on list for ADA?
If there is no parking at all, does it mean they do not have to have anything?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org