A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2024, 08:39:41 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer receptionist voice problems  (Read 4558 times)
citizen72
Civic Leader

« on: September 02, 2008, 12:38:31 pm »

Is there a way to get around one of these computer voices. They seem to never understand your response.

I called Cox this morning and it took me thirty minutes for their computer voice to finally stop trying to help me. Every time I would respond to it I would get a response contrary to my request. I tried the '0' option but too no avail. Was finally told by a Cox that I could not get around the voice. Any thoughts please.

^^^^^

"Never a skillful sailor made who always sailed calm seas."
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:47:24 pm »

http://www.gethuman.com/
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 12:49:18 pm »

I've heard that sometimes if you start spewing obscenities it will take you to a live person.

It would be fun to try, anyway.
Hometown
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 12:50:02 pm »

If they have voice recognition say, "representative."

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 01:56:12 pm »

Hometown you are right. Most of them respond to Talk to a representative or talk to an agent. And then you are connected to someone with a thick East India accent, which I dont know if thats any better than pushing buttons.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Curmudgeon
Citizen

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 06:29:49 pm »

I've only called Cox's automated system once and it worked well for me that one time. That was few months ago when they were doing work and failed to drop me a note letting me know about it like they did this time.

citizen72
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 07:22:19 pm »

Well Crum... you may speak to a good point here. It might be that the computer just cannot deal with my accent.

Is anyone else having problems with the computer voice at Cox?

^^^^^

Harmon Smith
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 12:32:38 am »

That is sad[Sad]
flybriz
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 10:37:19 pm »

I actually build these things for a living.  Yes, I know, hurl whatever rotten vegetable you have laying around at me.  We didn't do the one for Cox, but I will say the the technology is good and improving by the year.  So many of them are frustrating to use because they are badly trained/programmed, but there is actually an industry term called a "goat".  Some people's voices (particularly middle age male) of a certain tonal range just cannot be recognized by speech systems, no matter how clearly they speak.  Perhaps you are a goat?  If so, my apologies of behalf of VUI Designers everywhere.  GetHuman.com is a great place to learn how to get around these things - Also saying "cancel service" is a fantastic way of getting bumped to the top of the queue and get an English speaking person that is very eager to solve your problem.  Most systems recognize this and transfer you to a priority queue of their top tier service people that will do whatever they can to help and keep your business.  So what if you weren't really planning on canceling?
citizen72
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 11:37:18 pm »

A goat??? Well thanks.  [Smiley] You know that is good information because I have problems with all computer voices. Instead of goat couldn't you just call us non-functional or something like that. [Smiley]  Hmmm. "Cancel Service"  Now, that is really good information.

^^^^^

lsimmons
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 12:11:22 am »

Fly is right. I've also worked with IVR and dialer systems for over a decade and they are getting better.

Much of the time tones will still be recognized and hitting 0 will many times take you to a live rep.
citizen72
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 12:32:27 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by lsimmons

Fly is right. I've also worked with IVR and dialer systems for over a decade and they are getting better.

Much of the time tones will still be recognized and hitting 0 will many times take you to a live rep.

The girl with Cox told me the "0" option was been taken away. She said, "Now you must go through the voice."
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 12:33:30 pm by citizen72 » Logged

^^^^^

flybriz
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 08:33:20 am »

Sorry Citizen...  I'll see if I can nudge the industry towards something a little more "PC". [Cheesy]
unknown
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 10:44:48 am »

I know from dealing with United Healtcare that if you ask to speak to a level 2 customer service rep, they will transfer you to someone you can understand....haven't tried it with any other companies, but it is worth a shot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org