A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 04:19:42 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Google's New Chrome Browser  (Read 4023 times)
Wilbur
« on: September 02, 2008, 04:54:00 pm »

I downloaded and have been playing with Google's new web browser known as Chrome.  I must say, I do like it, even though I've been a Firefox fan for a long time.

The browser does seem must faster, particularly when looking at the .pdf version of the Tulsa World on their website.

It has a slightly different minimalistic look, with tabs at the top.  It even imported all of my bookmarks and passwords from Firefox.  Now, if I could just figure out how to find those bookmarks.

Thoughts?
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 05:50:16 pm »

No Mac version yet.
Curmudgeon
Citizen

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 06:22:08 pm »

I'm trying it out right now. It seems very speedy. In the long run I can't see converting from firefox, but i'm only a couple hours into it.

inteller
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 06:35:23 pm »

firefox stands the most to lose from this thing because people that tend to try new things are the ones who got firefox.  IE users are pretty entrenched.

Google would have been much better off building a framework around Firefox.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:23:17 pm »

I believe Chrome used some Mozilla base code and Chrome is a ways off from being a replacement for Mozilla because it doesn't have all of the plugin and skin support and many other features. What is likely is firefox will adapt many of the chrome features and I see Chrome as being a browser replacement for netbooks and embedded systems.

Don't ask me to choose, I'm Running Firefox 3, IE6, Safari and Chrome.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 08:29:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

I believe Chrome used some Mozilla base code and Chrome is a ways off from being a replacement for Mozilla because it doesn't have all of the plugin and skin support and many other features. What is likely is firefox will adapt many of the chrome features and I see Chrome as being a browser replacement for netbooks and embedded systems.

Don't ask me to choose, I'm Running Firefox 3, IE6, Safari and Chrome.

I tell you a really neat browser I just started using in the last week that allows you to sidebar a lot of social websites (flickr, facebook, youtube, etc).

http://www.flock.com

It's based strictly off of Firefox 3.0/Mozilla code.  I think it can even use FF's plugins.  Some people lament it because they say it's a little too confusing to use, but I like it.  Great feeds system, and the ability to plugin to multiple websites out of the box has me sold.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 08:52:41 am »

I like the new chrome browser. I'm not ready to throw away firefox, but Chrome looks to be the way to go for using web apps.  I'm just ready to see a mobile version of this running on my PDA phone.  Also would love to use this on my Wii.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 09:38:55 am »

I seem to have random crashes with IE in Vista.

Is Firefox or Chrome less likely to crash at random times?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
grahambino
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:31:57 am »

until Chrome has the equivalent of:

mouse gestures
ad block
no-script
greasemonkey

i won't be using it.
i tried it this morning. seems fast, yes, it took me a minute to find my bookmarks.  it's on the right somewhere.
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 10:37:54 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Firefox will sometimes crash over some java running in a tab, but if you give it a fair day in court, you'll never go back to IE (except for IE tab - you'll see)  Chrome is supposed to fix this issue by isolating each open tab to its own running process - so if one crashes, it just turns to a sad face and doesn't kill the browser.  Its only in Beta though, so I wouldn't be looking to switch over to that for your daily use yet.  Use the Fox.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 01:26:20 pm »

quote:

Get rid of Vista.  I've used my friend's Vista notebook many times, and IE crashes all the time in the manner you described.  And worse, when IE crashes it restarts the browser...all instances of the browser...but doesn't remember what websites you were viewing, it just goes back to the home page.  Firefox does work a lot better in Vista, but it's still FAR inferior to XP.  If you feel you must keep Vista (I cannot think of one good reason to keep that bloated piece of crap) then download Firefox.  If not, get XP.  IE and Firefox both work well with XP.  I haven't used the new Google browser yet, because it's still in a beta version.  I'll probably try it out when the actual release comes out.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 01:29:05 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jne

quote:

Firefox will sometimes crash over some java running in a tab, but if you give it a fair day in court, you'll never go back to IE (except for IE tab - you'll see)  Chrome is supposed to fix this issue by isolating each open tab to its own running process - so if one crashes, it just turns to a sad face and doesn't kill the browser.  Its only in Beta though, so I wouldn't be looking to switch over to that for your daily use yet.  Use the Fox.

I haven't had Firefox outright crash very often.  It does, however, get to a point to where it "locks up" and won't respond.  I've never encountered this particular problem in IE.  

Another consideration is hard drive space.  If space is at a premium, you might consider using IE simply because it's built into the OS and can't be removed, while Firefox or any other 3rd party browser takes up extra hard drive space.
iraqniphobia
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 02:50:20 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by grahambino

mouse gestures
ad block
no-script
greasemonkey

i won't be using it.
i tried it this morning. seems fast, yes, it took me a minute to find my bookmarks.  it's on the right somewhere.

Well, it is an open source browser, so you won't have to wait too long for someone to write(probably just port) those ad-ons.

I like chrome, but I've experienced some bugs.
The thing chrome needs the most, is the ability to scroll a page after clicking with the mouse wheel.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 03:37:50 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bugo

quote:
Originally posted by jne

quote:

I haven't had Firefox outright crash very often.  It does, however, get to a point to where it "locks up" and won't respond.  I've never encountered this particular problem in IE.  

Another consideration is hard drive space.  If space is at a premium, you might consider using IE simply because it's built into the OS and can't be removed, while Firefox or any other 3rd party browser takes up extra hard drive space.

I've had Vista for over a year now; I've never had IE crash on me ever.

Firefox is what I prefer; I use FF3 right now and it seems it crashes more so than FF2 did, but it's still very useable.

Don't know why people seem to get on this kick about Vista being the devil.  My brother uses it and has no problems with it.  I've used it with zero problems since April of 07.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Wilbur
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 05:13:16 am »

quote:
Originally posted by iraqniphobia

quote:
Originally posted by grahambino

mouse gestures
ad block
no-script
greasemonkey

i won't be using it.

Well, it is an open source browser, so you won't have to wait too long for someone to write(probably just port) those ad-ons.

I like chrome, but I've experienced some bugs.
The thing chrome needs the most, is the ability to scroll a page after clicking with the mouse wheel.

I believe it is also still considered a beta version, but strongly agree the open source leaves it available to add-ons similar to Firefox.

Chrome is having difficulties on a few websites rendering the page correctly and displaying java script correctly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org