A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 09:26:15 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Vs Dallas  (Read 5017 times)
zstyles
Philanthropist

« on: October 06, 2008, 01:39:33 pm »

Just heard a commercial for a exhibit that is sure to have people from all over flocking to Dallas..I went when I was younger and I still remember it ....the commercial said to visit -

http://www.visitdallas.com/

Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs is on its way to Dallas..this is a CLASS A great thing to see and experience at any age....something Tulsa should think about trying to get...

Also the dallas website is VERY nice...much better than our City of Tulsa website or "chamber" driven website....
Hometown
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 01:59:16 pm »

Many different facets to this topic.

Did you know towns have signs?

Tulsa is a Capricorn and Dallas is an Aries.

Capricorn and Aries are the two most aggressive and most ambitious signs.  There are so many similarities between the two signs that one astrologer said that Capricorn is Aries with a veil.  Meaning that Capricorn's ambition is subtle and sublime while Aries' is not.

I was away from Dallas for 30 years and when I went back a couple of years ago I was amazed the changes.  Truly staggering.  

During the same time period Tulsa seems to have lost some vigor and a good number of oil companies too.

We have a lot of catching up to do.

grahambino
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 02:07:25 pm »

If you subtract the entire population of State of Oklahoma from DFW MSA, it's still larger than Tulsa MSA.

Tulsa will never compete for anything against that market...and here comes that pesky, inevitable...period.
waterboy
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 02:11:09 pm »

That exhibit was quite impressive back in the early nineties I believe. We took the kids and bought a nice print of Tut that we framed and now hangs over the toilet. You know, like a king on his throne.
Kashmir
Civic Leader

"My name is Talking Tina and I think I hate you"

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 03:08:07 pm »

I get to spend almost a week in Fort Worth downtown, accompanying Mr. K to a conference.  We were going to try to stay out of Dallas and explore Ft. Worth but looks like between this and a trip to Jimmy's Food Store (Italian Market) we just might make the trip into D!

And no, I am not flying, so avoided the nekid body scan on that one...

Any Sundance Square recommendations, Hometown?
Hometown
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 03:37:36 pm »

Well, when I was living in Ft. Worth my idea of a good time was to go to the gay cowboy bars and do some country dancing.  You know two stepping and the country waltz.  If I recall there were some mighty fine straight country dancing bars in Ft. Worth's stockyards area.

I say dance all night in Ft. Worth and then drive over to Dallas and get your hair cut at a fancy Dallas salon.

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 03:55:23 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

Well, when I was living in Ft. Worth my idea of a good time was to go to the gay cowboy bars and do some country dancing.  You know two stepping and the country waltz.  If I recall there were some mighty fine straight country dancing bars in Ft. Worth's stockyards area.

I say dance all night in Ft. Worth and then drive over to Dallas and get your hair cut at a fancy Dallas salon.

I lived in the D/FW MetroPlex in the 1980's and the stockyards area is home to the world famous BillyBobs, Tanya Tucker once did a live show there. That place almost closed up for some reason at one time I forgot why- I think they had money trouble.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 04:03:42 pm »

That Dallas exhibit sounds interesting. If anyone goes to Texas now they can also stop in and see the Texas State Fair it's running till Oct. 19th, That is one big fair and has lots to do. I have been there just about every year I lived in Texas (1980's). "Big Tex" has on new duds this year I heard. They have a big auto show there with knock out models showing off the cars and they let you take pictures of the Ladies. Some of the girls do shows and sing. One year a band played "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" inside the car hall. In 1983 the Texas State fair had a bad ride accident, some car flew off of a ride and I think 1 person was killed and a few others injured. It was pretty bad. [xx(]

Miss Solemnis
Citizen

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 04:11:08 pm »

Obviously I'm not Hometown, Kashmir, but we go to Ft. Worth and/or Dallas pretty regularly.  Are you looking for hotel info, restaurants, shopping...?  We usually stay at the Worthington Renaissance in Sundance Square.  It's not a new property, but nice and puts us right in the middle of the action of Sundance Square.  When we're there for the Van Cliburn we spend 99% of our time at Bass, but otherwise just sort of wander around and enjoy the atmosphere and shops.  I would love, love, love to see downtown Tulsa look like that!  Schakolad is fun to pop into if you like chocolate (ha), and there's lots of great shopping and restaurants.  We almost always go to Cantina Laredo for at least one dinner, Daddy Jack's is usually good, and la Madeleine is a must for a coffee/croissant breakfast IMO.  And we never leave without a trip to Central Market!

Kashmir
Civic Leader

"My name is Talking Tina and I think I hate you"

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 10:38:44 pm »

Hometown, that sounds like the best idea I've heard in a long time as I'm boycottong my hair gal here since she started bringing her puppy in the shop and it licks you during the haircut...[xx(]  Any reccomendations?  As for the dance bar, gay or straight, as long as they don't laugh at my lack of rythym, I do not care.

Miss S, I've never been to FW, just Dallas, and I too LOVE Central Market!  Thanks for the restaurant ideas!
****Kash's contacts are fuzzing and I cannot spell...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:43:46 pm by Kashmir » Logged
Miss Solemnis
Citizen

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 06:16:01 am »

Again butting in after you've asked a question of HT.  I just sent you a PM with the name/number of an incredible stylist.  You'll love her!

Hometown
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 06:48:06 am »

Kashmir, I haven't been to Ft. Worth since 1984 but what I remember is that the town is relaxed and just a little on the Okie side.  I'm short on specific cw bar recommendations.  

See the Ft. Worth Modern Museum then drive over to Dallas and shop.  Dallas is such a great place to shop.  That could keep you busy for a day or so.

Now, if we only had uninterrupted interstate between here and there.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 04:30:45 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

Kashmir, I haven't been to Ft. Worth since 1984 but what I remember is that the town is relaxed and just a little on the Okie side.  I'm short on specific cw bar recommendations.  

See the Ft. Worth Modern Museum then drive over to Dallas and shop.  Dallas is such a great place to shop.  That could keep you busy for a day or so.

Now, if we only had uninterrupted interstate between here and there.

Yes, Fort Worth has some great Museums and a super planetarium, I took my wife there and latter we went with our kids, In the Planetarium they first tell ya about the stars and then they also put on a show about something I forgot exactly what it was when we were there. It's located at 1500 Mountgomery Street (or it was). They also have a Omni movie screen and we saw the film "Hail Columbia" it was quite a film. That was in the early 1980's. It's not too far from the Trinity jogging Trails. Texas has alot of offer.[Smiley]

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 04:37:24 pm »

BTW- parts of Admeral Street in Tulsa near that Piggley Wiggley Store remind me of Hemphill Street in Fort Worth circa 1980, Fort Worth had a old Piggley Wiggley Store there just south of Magnolia on Hemphill street and the buildings are very much alike. Today it's all gone.. It was a dangerous part of town at night. My first apartment when I first moved to Fort Worth in 1980 was at 1306 May street (at the corner of Magolia) and that old building is still standing and looks very much like it did in 1980. When I lived there I sometimes walked to that Piggley Wiggley store.  Fort Worth and Tulsa do have alot on common, both cities even have a jogging trail along their main river. They are almost like twin cities.[Smiley]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 04:41:28 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org