A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 01:26:04 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AT&T U-Verse  (Read 77662 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 03:00:50 pm »

So when do they roll out more than 2 HD streams per home? And a box that doesn't forget to record things.

(Not that Cox's DVR is any better, but at least with them I can buy a TiVo that actually works right)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Jonette
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 12:10:53 am »

I got the U-VERSE 2 weeks ago and have been happy with it so far.

You can record 4 channels at once versus 2 with COX.

I had COX for so many years and loved the DVR, but being able to record 4 channels at once was a way better option.

The Total Home DVR option (being able to watch any of the DVR material on any set) will not be available until the end of 2008 or beginning of 2009.

The one channel they don't offer is the NEWSNOW53.....24/7 local news for Tulsa. My daughter really misses that channel and it was nice to be able to watch "local" news anytime we wanted. [V]

I did not get the internet or home phone, ie bundle.  I am on WI-FI already and don't use a home phone.

tim huntzinger
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 06:04:18 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

oh yes, 2 "HD" streams at a 300kbps bitrate.....now that's QUALITY!

the sooner you realize that the technology behind Uverse is trash, the sooner you'll forget about it.  Why anyone would want overly compressed crap is beyond be....but hey, maybe you watch this crap on a 5" TV.

A recent JD Powers Associates survey found that in every market that U-Verse went against cable U-Verse scored higher customer satisfaction.  Must be all them teeny tiny screens, huh? Ha ha!  Compared tu Uverse, digital cable is like a Commodore Vic 20.  If the website is not working, store reps have another tool that can be used to determine if a person is within range of the node to receive this great service.

TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 06:26:36 am »

quote:

the sooner you realize that the technology behind Uverse is trash, the sooner you'll forget about it.  Why anyone would want overly compressed crap is beyond be....but hey, maybe you watch this crap on a 5" TV.

if you must know.  In the our bedroom I have a 46" Sony XBR5.  In the living room I have a Sony 60" SXRD XBR.  I would assume thats plenty big.  Like I have mentioned before, Directv has a great picture, when I actually get the picture.  It is frustrating as hell to work 50-60 hours a week, and just wanting to relax and watch some football on the weekends, but instead read a message "searching for satellite signal" at the hint of rain or sprinkling.  

I still can't figure out how it didnt go out a couple of weeks ago on Sat night when "hurricane Ike" blew through and we had 30+ mph winds!!

Thank you Jonette.  You have the exact same setup I want.  I don't need a home phone, cox internet (although steep in price) is super fast and works great for us.  I guess I will wait a little while and make a decision.  

If anyone is interested, I found a "good" review of uverse here...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/iptv-discussion-forum/87544-review-t-u-verse.html

http://www.dslreports.com/comments/2911

The second link shows out of 133 individual reviews, only 10 were said to be negative. Not too shabby

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
tim huntzinger
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 07:38:10 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TUalum0982

quote:

if you must know.  In the our bedroom I have a 46" Sony XBR5.  In the living room I have a Sony 60" SXRD XBR.  I would assume thats plenty big.  Like I have mentioned before, Directv has a great picture, when I actually get the picture.  It is frustrating as hell to work 50-60 hours a week, and just wanting to relax and watch some football on the weekends, but instead read a message "searching for satellite signal" at the hint of rain or sprinkling.  

I still can't figure out how it didnt go out a couple of weeks ago on Sat night when "hurricane Ike" blew through and we had 30+ mph winds!!

Thank you Jonette.  You have the exact same setup I want.  I don't need a home phone, cox internet (although steep in price) is super fast and works great for us.  I guess I will wait a little while and make a decision.  

The second link shows out of 133 individual reviews, only 10 were said to be negative. Not too shabby

Not too shabby! The best!Here is more about at&t U-Verse dominating cable.  If you are lucky enough to be in range of the node, order U-verse; there is no commitment, no activation fees, free stuff, and great service.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 08:00:30 am »

Still no Uverse in the 15th & Harvard area.

Anyone know what kind of progress they are making on expanding?  I'm not 100% certain I'll change from Cox, but no sense wasting a whole lot of time thinking about it when it's not even an option for me yet.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RedskinRich
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 08:13:45 am »

I would just like the chance to have an option. For me it is either Windstream (I remember Valor all to well) or Cox. I am talking more than just TV I meant the whole bundle. I have not had an issue per say with Cox once I made them completely re-wire my house, the signal is clear and consistent. Just would be nice to have a choice.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 08:15:57 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RedskinRich

I would just like the chance to have an option. For me it is either Windstream (I remember Valor all to well) or Cox. I am talking more than just TV I meant the whole bundle. I have not had an issue per say with Cox once I made them completely re-wire my house, the signal is clear and consistent. Just would be nice to have a choice.

If Windstream is one of your choices you won't see AT&T Uverse at all, unless you move out of BA/S Tulsa.  That's only offered to those in the AT&T DSL/landline footprint.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 08:17:11 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

quote:
Originally posted by TUalum0982

quote:

Not too shabby! The best!Here is more about at&t U-Verse dominating cable.  If you are lucky enough to be in range of the node, order U-verse; there is no commitment, no activation fees, free stuff, and great service.

Yet another reason not to have it.

'Range of the node'?

Does cable have this restriction?

Nope.  Sounds to me like TV over DSL.  I pass.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 08:24:46 am »

I just wish someone could tell me when uverse is coming downtown. They are coming, but they can't tell me whether it's gonna be 10 days or 10 years. If it's 10 years I'm gonna have to explore other options to get a replacement for Cox.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 09:13:09 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TheTed

I just wish someone could tell me when uverse is coming downtown. They are coming, but they can't tell me whether it's gonna be 10 days or 10 years. If it's 10 years I'm gonna have to explore other options to get a replacement for Cox.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 09:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

quote:
Originally posted by TheTed

Dish is DEFINITELY not the way to go! that's what I have now, and in 8 months I have had more SFSS issues then my parents have had in over 10 yrs with Directv.  I have had 3 diff people come out and "fix" the problem.  The last time they came out, they had the nerve to try and charge me a service call of 79.99.  After a phone call threatening to cancel throwing their equipment on the curb, they quickly applied a credit for the charge and gave me a few months free

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 09:41:11 am »

how does u-verse deal with multiple TVs in the house?

What is it about u-verse that it needs to be "available in your area"?  Is that just for DSL part?  
tim huntzinger
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 10:07:35 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BKDotCom

how does u-verse deal with multiple TVs in the house?

What is it about u-verse that it needs to be "available in your area"?  Is that just for DSL part?  

Each set has its own DVR box, in my case the tech used the same wiring as cable so no mess no fuss.  The customer has to be within range of where the end of the fibre optic line is in your neighborhood.  Like being in range of a cell tower.  This goes for Uverse phone, TV, and high-speed internet.
Steve
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 10:40:50 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Still no Uverse in the 15th & Harvard area.

Anyone know what kind of progress they are making on expanding?  I'm not 100% certain I'll change from Cox, but no sense wasting a whole lot of time thinking about it when it's not even an option for me yet.

They strung the cable for new phone & Uverse in my neighborhood on 26th just east of Yale about 8 months ago.  Service is on.  Another ugly thick black cable strung on the poles across my back yard, and they didn't even remove the old line which is now unused.  AT&T has called my home phone at least 3 times a day for the last 2 months trying to sell me this stuff.  The calls stopped, for the time being at least, last week.

Recording 4 shows simultaneously?  If people are as busy as they say they are, when would anyone have the time to sit down and watch?  The technology is nice, but I think it is tremendous overkill.  There would have to be 48 hours a day to take advantage of this stuff, and for me it would be pouring money down the drain.  I'll just stick with my old analog TVs with digital boxes and watch free broadcast, an option many people seem to have forgotten about.  I used to work with a gal (in her mid-20s) that didn't even know free broadcast TV existed, until I explained it to her.  She thought all TV was via some pay service.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 10:48:40 am by Steve » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org