A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 03:12:12 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AT&T U-Verse  (Read 77686 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2008, 08:49:09 am »

I love sales talk.

To the person who is getting "not available" it tells me that on their website so I can't price it or get the big discounts but it IS available in my area.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2008, 08:51:33 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

I love sales talk.

To the person who is getting "not available" it tells me that on their website so I can't price it or get the big discounts but it IS available in my area.

I find that funny as well.  I did see a bunch of contract and AT&T trucks working on lines at midnight last night on Admiral at the traffic circle.  Wonder if they're getting me that great Uverse?

Tim, how long have you worked for AT & T?

[xx(]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:52:28 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
tim huntzinger
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2008, 08:54:01 am »

quote:

I love sales talk.

Apparently it has something to do with how the addresses were entered and are being read by the various programs.  Sort of a 'y2k' programming thing, so one may try to enter an address without the 'th' on 'e 45th', entering 'e 45' instead, eg.

A co-worker simply called Cox and mentioned the U-verse 200 and Cox upgraded his service for the same cost.  So even if you are 'out of area' one should see if Cox has some love for ya.
jmikeh
Citizen

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2008, 11:18:18 am »

quote:

I love sales talk.

Hey Grizz.  I just checked the web thingy and it still says not available.  Damn.  I guess I will have to call and see if I can get a human on the phone..

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2008, 11:24:01 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

quote:

I love sales talk.

Apparently it has something to do with how the addresses were entered and are being read by the various programs.  Sort of a 'y2k' programming thing, so one may try to enter an address without the 'th' on 'e 45th', entering 'e 45' instead, eg.

Just tried that (leaving out the ordinals) and it worked!

I can order just the U-Verse internet by itself, but if I dont include a TV package they want a $99 one-time-charge.  Adding a TV package makes the one-time-charge go away.

Not enticed enough to give up DirecTV with TiVo just yet, so ill wait and see of the one-time-charge decides to go away on it's own later.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2008, 11:00:44 am »

U-verse takes top spot in consumer survey

AT&T U-verse, the company's Internet protocol television service, ranks highest in customer satisfaction in three of four regions of the United States in a survey of 18,938 U.S. households by J.D. Power and Associates.

J.D. Power's survey measures customer satisfaction with cable, satellite and IP television providers in the North Central, East, West and South regions of the U.S. The survey tracks customer satisfaction with performance and reliability, customer service, cost of service, billing and offerings, and promotions. Customer satisfaction is reported as an index score on a 1,000-point scale, officials said.

AT&T U-verse ranks highest in the South region, which includes Oklahoma, with an index score of 706. Verizon's FiOS fiber-optic TV ranks second in the South region with a score of 688; DirecTV is third at 662; DISH Network is fourth with a 650 score. Cox Cable, Oklahoma's largest cable provider, ranks seventh with a score of 638.

AT&T U-verse also ranks highest in the North Central and West regions.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2008, 11:50:58 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

U-verse takes top spot in consumer survey

That is surprising.  Ive had to call at&t a couple of times last week to get some bogus charges from some theft identity company taken off my phone bill, and they explain the long waits as being due to all their resources being taken up dealing with "the hurricane."

But #7-ranked Cox isnt exactly a local mom-and-pop operation, either.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
inteller
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2008, 01:31:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by groundhog

I have the U200 package with VOIP phone and 6 MB download speed.  It costs me $125/month for all three.

OMG....you pay $6 less than I do for less bandwidth and crappy picture quality?  well whooptie freakin doo!  This is ATTs idea of a deal?  Man, **** them.
groundhog
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2008, 09:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:

I have the U200 package with VOIP phone and 6 MB download speed.  It costs me $125/month for all three.

OMG....you pay $6 less than I do for less bandwidth and crappy picture quality?  well whooptie freakin doo!  This is ATTs idea of a deal?  Man, **** them.

I really don't think that I was implying that my monthly rate was a "deal," only trying to put the number out there for information purposes.  However, I guess I was given a "deal" of sorts. AT&T gave me a total $275 in cash back Visa cards and checks to activate, and waived all installation charges.

As far as picture quality goes, I'm very impressed with the HD.  It seems sharper than Cox did to me. I've had no cloud drop-outs or even digital artifacts like Dish is famous for and that I would sometimes get with Cox.  The picture-in-picture preview and the responsiveness of the entire system, from on-demand programming to the instant "Search" function, are what really make the system a pleasure to sit in front of.

As far as bandwidth goes, I could have chosen the 30 MB download speed for $15 more per month.  I don't need that much speed, and unless you're downloading a ton of pirated torrents, I doubt that many people do, so I opted for the lower speed.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2008, 10:42:19 am »

I'm looking forward to trying UVerse, but I don't expect it in Sand Springs anytime soon. So, I'm trying to get my parents to switch. They don't like the $5/receiver charge but they love that they can record on one DVR and watch it anywhere. I really wonder how they do this. The only thing I can think of is its actually recording on AT&T servers and is fed to the home's DVR on-demand.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2008, 11:23:10 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nik

they love that they can record on one DVR and watch it anywhere. I really wonder how they do this. The only thing I can think of is its actually recording on AT&T servers and is fed to the home's DVR on-demand.

Pretty much makes any channel an on-demand channel if you set it up right, wouldnt it?

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2008, 01:23:41 pm »

I called Cox and got a 6 month loyal customer discount and 1 competitive year discount. Total saving of almost $400 over the next 12 months.

Wee...
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2008, 02:37:36 pm »

quote:

I called Cox and got a 6 month loyal customer discount and 1 competitive year discount. Total saving of almost $400 over the next 12 months.

Wee...

did you just call and ask? or did you say you were ready to switch to another company?

I found a very useful website for people with questions regarding Uverse and for those people who have it, there are some interesting reads.

www.uverseusers.com

It has forums for general discussion, and also for each state that uverse is available in.

Also, supposedly AT&T is going to announce 18mb download speeds... (http://www.corp.att.com/advanced-tv/)

EDIT:

I also read that the current box can hold 122hours of regular programming, and 37hours of HD programming.  I also read that a new cisco box is in the works, which is supposed to be able to hold even more? I haven't read that anywhere else though.

I spoke to someone at AT&T and they stated that THDVR (total home dvr) will be available to the Tulsa Market in Nov.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 02:54:35 pm by TUalum0982 » Logged

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
inteller
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2008, 03:34:28 pm »

quote:
As far as bandwidth goes, I could have chosen the 30 MB download speed for $15 more per month.  

BS, considering they are just now announcing 18mb....if you live like 2 feet from the box.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2008, 04:59:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nik

The only thing I can think of is its actually recording on AT&T servers and is fed to the home's DVR on-demand.

They do it like every other DVR that has this functionality does it. It streams/transfers the show across your home network.

In the case of U-Verse, it works over both RG6 and Cat5, depending on which you have your boxes hooked up with. Several other providers (Verizon comes to mind with their FiOS product) also have RF networking enabled on their boxes. I believe both satellite providers also have that functionality enabled

Cox's DVRs are capable of networking over coax, they have the hardware, software, and everything. Cox just hasn't enabled it, presumably because they don't want to pay for an update to Passport.

TiVo has been doing this for years over Cat5. The TiVo boxes don't support MoCA, though, so no coax networking, although it's not TiVo's fault. It's the regulations they operate under (to get approval from CableLabs, so MSOs are required to give you CableCARDs for the Series3 and HD/HDXL) that make it impossible to include.

Interestingly, there's still a court battle over whether or not it is legal for cable companies (and those who provide equivalent service) to use network-based DVRs without the permission of the content owner. Cablevision announced that service a few years ago and promptly got sued. The content owners got a preliminary injunction against them, which was recently overturned by the court of appeals.

The case itself still hasn't been resolved, though.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in such a service anyway, except for things I wasn't really interested in watching to begin with or forgot to record. Both Cox and at&t's video on demand products take several seconds to respond to a command. It doesn't seem too terrible compared to the relatively slow response times of their DVRs, but I'm used to my TiVo, which excluding a few buggy software releases is always very snappy at reacting to fast forward, rewind, and instant replay.

I much prefer an immediate reaction to my input.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org