A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 03:21:28 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AT&T U-Verse  (Read 77729 times)
MDepr2007
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2008, 07:08:45 pm »

Download speeds can be useless if the server it's comong from doesn't match up to the same speed , correct?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2008, 10:40:09 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MDepr2007

Download speeds can be useless if the server it's comong from doesn't match up to the same speed , correct?

Very true, but most servers can handle better than 10Mbps these days, even if your computer (or router) can't. In fact, a lot of home routers can't, even if they have 100Mbps WAN ports.

Personally, I download things mainly from my own server that sits in a data center in San Diego on a 100Mbps connection and other single servers that can handle far more than the 12Mbps I get from Cox.

The extra speed is also nice if you are downloading and web browsing at the same time or downloading multiple things.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2008, 05:47:34 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TUalum0982

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

I called Cox and got a 6 month loyal customer discount and 1 competitive year discount. Total saving of almost $400 over the next 12 months.

Wee...

did you just call and ask? or did you say you were ready to switch to another company?

I called and said that I had  looked at AT&T's prices and was wondering if Cox was going to run any specials or discounts to stay competitive. They did ask for what it would cost with AT&T so make sure and check pricing and have it handy.
buckeye
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2008, 01:57:44 pm »

I've used an ancient SMC wired router passed down from my big bro for several years.  Great bit of hardware, very reliable and easy to set up.  Recently, I changed it out to see if having the Vonage router 'first in line' next to the cable modem would help with QOS/VOIP quality (it didn't).  My download speeds went from 3-5meg to 7-12meg.  Looks like the SMC couldn't keep up anymore.

Goddang, I wish Cox would pay for a Passport update.  As it stands, it's a pretty crappy interface.
MDepr2007
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2008, 08:26:52 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

I called Cox and got a 6 month loyal customer discount and 1 competitive year discount. Total saving of almost $400 over the next 12 months.

Wee...

did you just call and ask? or did you say you were ready to switch to another company?

I called and said that I had  looked at AT&T's prices and was wondering if Cox was going to run any specials or discounts to stay competitive. They did ask for what it would cost with AT&T so make sure and check pricing and have it handy.

Didn't you claim that the last time AT&T was talked about a month or 2 ago? How many times in one year can one get a discount?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2008, 08:32:13 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wee...

Didn't you claim that the last time AT&T was talked about a month or 2 ago? How many times in one year can one get a discount?

If you ***** about your service enough, like I did some years ago with Cox, I didn't pay for 6 months.

[Cheesy]

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2008, 08:50:17 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wee...

I never claimed that, others did so I finally tried it.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2008, 08:21:28 pm »

Has anyone with the "Max-18" U-Verse (18 Mbps downstream and 1.5 Mbps upstream) internet perfored a speed test to see if these numbers are real?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2008, 05:28:04 am »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

Has anyone with the "Max-18" U-Verse (18 Mbps downstream and 1.5 Mbps upstream) internet perfored a speed test to see if these numbers are real?

have they rolled that out into our area yet? Last time I checked, it wasn't available to me, (U-verse is) but not the 18mb "fast" internet.

EDIT:
Also, AT&T recently inked a deal to start selling U-verse in Circuit City stores in cities were U-verse was available.  Now that they have filed for Bankruptcy, I wonder what that will do.  Did AT&T not see this coming? Any company that lays off its top 2000 sales people in order to save money by reducing their bonus' is obviously headed in the wrong direction.  They should have gone with best buy.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 07:27:56 am by TUalum0982 » Logged

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
tim huntzinger
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2008, 08:09:33 am »

It is a GO GO GO! The 18mps is LIVE!  As is the Total-home DVR! The 2-stream HD has been out for about a month, and sooooo much more is on the way!

Installs are still about a week out.  I can only say that with a projected growth from 1M to 30M, the FREE install, no-contract, money-back offers may not be around very long.  Installs in some markets are SIX weeks out.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2008, 09:01:35 am »

Sigh. If only this were available in Bixby so that I didn't have to deal with Bixby Telephone and their craptastic BTC TV offering.
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2008, 09:03:20 am »

Thanks to AT&T, Cox has rolled out free upgrades in Oklahoma recently.... now my downstream ranges from 15 to 25mbit and my sustained upstream peaks out at 1.7mbit! Yay competition!

tim huntzinger
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2008, 09:11:07 am »

quote:
Originally posted by EricP

Thanks to AT&T, Cox has rolled out free upgrades in Oklahoma recently.... now my downstream ranges from 15 to 25mbit and my sustained upstream peaks out at 1.7mbit! Yay competition!

They have nowhere to go.  I would look for a real fire sale on their products and services.  Funny, now that I no longer have Cox for TV and have reduced my Cox Radio listenership I am no longer bombarded with their crappy commercials.
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2008, 01:11:19 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

quote:

They have nowhere to go.  I would look for a real fire sale on their products and services.  Funny, now that I no longer have Cox for TV and have reduced my Cox Radio listenership I am no longer bombarded with their crappy commercials.

Bwuh? They have nowhere to go with what? As far as bandwidth goes, telcos providing internet service over phone lines have to keep coming up with technology changes to catch up to cable and when they do cable companies can just ratchet up the speed a little bit more. Coax > phone lines. Let's see what current DOCSIS standards Cox uses will support:

Version 1.x    Downstream: 38 Mbit/s    Upstream: 9 Mbit/s

Then we have DOCSIS 2.0 and 3.0, which rival FIOS in speed:

Version 2.0     38 Mbit/s    27 Mbit/s
3.0 4channel    152 Mbit/s   108 Mbit/s
3.0 8channel    304 Mbit/s   108 Mbit/s

Hmmm......
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 01:13:46 pm by EricP » Logged

tim huntzinger
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2008, 02:34:43 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

quote:

Bwuh? They have nowhere to go with what? As far as bandwidth goes, telcos providing internet service over phone lines have to keep coming up with technology changes to catch up to cable and when they do cable companies can just ratchet up the speed a little bit more. Coax > phone lines. Let's see what current DOCSIS standards Cox uses will support:

Version 1.x    Downstream: 38 Mbit/s    Upstream: 9 Mbit/s

Then we have DOCSIS 2.0 and 3.0, which rival FIOS in speed:

Version 2.0     38 Mbit/s    27 Mbit/s
3.0 4channel    152 Mbit/s   108 Mbit/s
3.0 8channel    304 Mbit/s   108 Mbit/s

Hmmm......

All they can do is drop prices or give more of what they already have.  My Uverse TV is clearer and with more features than digital cable ever dreamt of.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org