A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 05:22:00 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AT&T U-Verse  (Read 77769 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2008, 02:07:31 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

quote:
Originally posted by HDPokeFan

High Speed Internet: I read last spring in the Tulsa World that 80% of Cox customers had access to 12 Mbps or more compared to 77% of AT&T customers were 3 Mbps or less.  Based on price and speed Cox wins again.

Maybe if you figure U-verse's 18Mbps instead of the 3Mbps you will be up to speed (if you will excuse the pun).

That's if you can even get Uverse; I still don't have it available, as do many people I talk to.

I'll stick with Cox; I've been pretty happy with them for the last 5 years or so.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
HDPokeFan
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2008, 02:09:04 pm »

Considering AT&T just rolled out the 18 Meg only to customers with U-Verse (about .02% of homes in Tulsa) and within that small customer base you have to within a certain distance of the CO - the number of customers with the service is very small.  So my guess, I am bet I am not that far off, is about 200 people in Tulsa could get 18 meg.  Of those 200 people let's say 5% want the top speed.  So about 10 people in Tulsa would have 18 meg.

Since Cox was already offering 20 Meg (at over $20 less than AT&T internet service) to many customers and a large majority of their customers had at least 12 meg - sounds like AT&T 18 meg attempt is pretty feable -- IMHO.

It kinda like Comcast did by offering DOCSIS 3.0 speeds in one node in Chicago and claiming they were offer 60 Mbps service - except it was only available to a super small group of people.
groundhog
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2008, 05:34:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by HDPokeFan

Recommendation: If you are not a HD fan and you are not happy with Cox, then you may want to consider switching.  If you have HD or thinking about buying a HD set - then Cox is your answer.  
With me being a big local high school sports fan I could not live without The Cox Channel's high school football and basketball.

Good comparision amd recommendation for those thinking of early adopting.  You forgot to add one more reason, apparenlty the same reason why you switched -- you want a new toy to fiddle with.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2008, 11:02:39 pm »

I don't have Uverse because it's not in my neighborhood. I do plan on getting it ASAP because they offer the regional sports networks, which Cox has no plans to begin offering

I have perused the Uverse channel lineup. I count about 80 HD channels available. Lots of them are movie channels. But it still seems like Uverse compares favorably to Cox in the HD department.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2008, 12:34:02 pm »

On their website you used to be able to de-select the TV packages from the options you wanted (i.e. just order internet and phone) but recently they have become stingy about installing new customers without a TV package.

If you want U-verse internet (a much better deal than DSL) not bundled with TV then you either have to wait till their marketing people come to their senses or ask to speak to whatever tier has the authority to give the customer what they want.  

Bundling = Bad. Too many things can go wrong when you put all your eggs in one basket.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
lms68
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2008, 12:49:44 pm »

Does anyone know if there is any discount for bundling an existing AT&T wireless account into a new U-Verse package?  I've been all over the U-Verse website and can't get any information beyond telling me I can combine the bills for the cell phone and the U-Verse stuff.  Combined billing is not much of an incentive to me -- I'm pretty sure I can handle two bills at once.  Anyway, I'd heard from a few people that they thought there were discounts available for bundling all AT&T services together -- just wondering if this is really true.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2008, 10:14:27 am »

Hmm..I found this interesting.  Some of the comments are also very interesting.

Oh, Uverse is jacking up some of their prices in Feb.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/12/23/atandt-pushing-up-some-prices-in-february-2009/

[B)]

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

tim huntzinger
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2008, 10:45:34 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Hoss

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/12/23/atandt-pushing-up-some-prices-in-february-2009/

[B)]

the rate for the extra receivers is up to seven bux a mo BUT you still have total home dvr which Cox does not, and one still has mo HD sooooo you do get what you pay for.  also the cost for stand-alone premium channels went up a few dollars, effecting the lower-tiered packages primarily.

at&t does have a 24-month guarantee on its stand-alone DSL packages which is worth mentioning.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2008, 10:48:06 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

quote:

[B)]

the rate for the extra receivers is up to seven bux a mo BUT you still have total home dvr which Cox does not, and one still has mo HD sooooo you do get what you pay for.  also the cost for stand-alone premium channels went up a few dollars, effecting the lower-tiered packages primarily.

at&t does have a 24-month guarantee on its stand-alone DSL packages which is worth mentioning.

But is it really more when all I've heard about their HD is crap.  They compress more than Cox or the sats.

Read the Uverse forum over at DSLreports and you'll see a LOT of complaints, not only about cost/service but install issues.  That's why I quit AT&T years ago and will NEVER go back.

tim huntzinger
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2008, 11:35:59 am »

quote:

quote:

quote:

[B)]

But is it really more when all I've heard about their HD is crap.  They compress more than Cox or the sats.

Read the Uverse forum over at DSLreports and you'll see a LOT of complaints, not only about cost/service but install issues.  That's why I quit AT&T years ago and will NEVER go back.

It is not a perfect process but according to consumer-driven researcher JD Powers in markets where Uverse and cable go head to head Uverse wins. Ha ha ha! Hater!  I love the total home dvr and the picture in picture browsing gets funner all the time!
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2008, 12:01:40 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

[B)]

It is not a perfect process but according to consumer-driven researcher JD Powers in markets where Uverse and cable go head to head Uverse wins. Ha ha ha! Hater!  I love the total home dvr and the picture in picture browsing gets funner all the time!

Yeah, only if you can get UVerse.  Most still can't here.

And yes, I'll be a hater of all things AT&T until the day I die.

But you continue to pay that $5 HD fee for three HD Channels.  I'll enjoy my 53 HD channels for free.

[}:)]

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2008, 12:53:02 pm »

Im not going to be an at&t defender, but we have to at least give them credit for one thing:
When at&t installed U-Verse, they buried the lines.  They did so neatly and professionally, without crying about it and deliberately making it  unsightly and inflating the costs like AEP does.

Competition is good.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Jonette
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2008, 08:56:55 pm »

Well. I got bad news.

I discontinued my ATT U-Verse 2 weeks ago.

I loved the total home DVR.
The channel selection was fine.

But the things I hated was:

Too much lag time between channels.
Too many ATT information channels.
No way to block out those information channels, you have to "surf" thru them every time. When you surf thru them it takes FOREVER for each one to load and let you go to the next channel.

With Cox you could set your "favorite" channels and use the "favorite" button on the remote to surf thru only those channels. Skipping the INFO channels and those your not interested in.

But with ATT you have to go to your "favorite" list on a menu screen and scroll thru them like a channel guide with a small picture.I even tried to block the channels I was not interested in and then when I was crossing those channels I was still forced to look at the channel, but now with a GIANT picture of a LOCK on the screen. And now THAT channel took forever to load and release so I could go on to the other one.  Surfing took FOREVER!! I got tired of it and had it all turned off.

ATT shipped me a prepaid UPS box to ship all the equipment back to them. You wanna know some thing funny? They don't want the remotes and wires back. They specifically said not to include them when shipping the stuff back. What the hell am I gonna do with that stuff? I got news for you, it's all going back!!

For now I don't have cable at all. It's nice and quiet here. But I am getting ready to move and will decide what to do about cable when I get settled in at the new place.

[:O]

groundhog
« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2008, 05:21:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jonette
Too much lag time between channels.

I don't understand why yours was different from mine.  I have no lag whatsoever.  I did ask the installer to bring the CAT-5 cable directly into my box; maybe this helps.

quote:
Originally posted by Jonette
Too many ATT information channels.
No way to block out those information channels, you have to "surf" thru them every time. When you surf thru them it takes FOREVER for each one to load and let you go to the next channel.

With Cox you could set your "favorite" channels and use the "favorite" button on the remote to surf thru only those channels. Skipping the INFO channels and those your not interested in.

But with ATT you have to go to your "favorite" list on a menu screen and scroll thru them like a channel guide with a small picture.I even tried to block the channels I was not interested in and then when I was crossing those channels I was still forced to look at the channel, but now with a GIANT picture of a LOCK on the screen. And now THAT channel took forever to load and release so I could go on to the other one.  Surfing took FOREVER!! I got tired of it and had it all turned off.

There are actually three different ways to do what you wanted to do.  I think you must have used the parental block. In U-Verse settings you can go through the line up and specifically request that certain channels never display in the on-screen guide, even the info channels.  I've blocked all of mine out.  Either that, or you could have selected favorites but not added the info channels.  

Too bad about the lag.  Sounds like a bad install.
HDPokeFan
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2009, 12:11:05 pm »

quote:

quote:

[B)]

Tim - I don't think you are being fair to this board.  This forum certainly is for posting opinions, but for the forum to be successful you should at least be factual.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread I had U-Verse installed, but also kept Cox.  I can tell you that Cox has way way more HD than U-Verse - it is not even close.
I understand you like the whole home DVR, but don't try to claim U-Verse has more HD than Cox (at least Cox in Tulsa) because I can tell you first-hand that is not even close to being true.

For people that like watching shows in HD - if you are choosing Cox or U-Verse there really is not much of a choice.  Free HD and more HD with Cox versus $15 per month for less HD with U-Verse.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org