A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 03:18:59 am
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AT&T U-Verse  (Read 77715 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2009, 02:06:38 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

quote:
Originally posted by EricP

Wait.... no buffering/pausing live TV?? Ew.

SPIT, ERIC! SPIT! Full DVR functionality is available on the Master Box (setting, erasing recordings, pausing live TV) and on the extra boxes one may view recorded programs.  If there is a show I want to watch in the other room like last night's game, I will set the channel to record on the Master Box and then go to my recordings and play the recording from the other box.  I quickly and easily pause rewind and ff from that box no problem.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was possible to rent multiple DVRs, or if you could at least set up recordings from the slave boxes, but you can't, so it's pretty much useless if your TVs are far apart. I'm not going to hoof it downstairs every time I feel like setting up a recording.

The PQ isn't there on my 47" LCD, either. It's not terrible by any stretch, so if you're saving money, it might be worth it. I'm not. It costs me the same either way. The only advantage is the extra channels, but there's no way I'm going to put up with the limitations of this DVR box for HDNet and HDNet Movies, especially when you consider that I can't even watch/record more than 2 HD streams at once despite the fact that my RG could easily sync at 60Mbps or more. (The VRAD is maybe 10 or 20 yards from my front door)

While I can't say I've made up my mind for sure yet, it's not looking good for U-Verse. I may consider keeping the Internet part, though, since Cox is only at 15Mbps (before Powerboost), while I can get 18 from at&t that should be completely reliable without the TV hogging the bandwidth.

And as I said before, there are certain aspects of the service that blow away Cox's standard offering. The channel change speed is crazy fast, the online scheduling is a nice feature, and as I said before, the extra channels are also nice. It's not all bad by any means, I just think it fails overall on the TV front compared to my TiVos.

I'm going to give it a week or two and if my mind still isn't changed, the stuff is going back.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
HDPokeFan
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2009, 08:16:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by nathanm

quote:

quote:

SPIT, ERIC! SPIT! Full DVR functionality is available on the Master Box (setting, erasing recordings, pausing live TV) and on the extra boxes one may view recorded programs.  If there is a show I want to watch in the other room like last night's game, I will set the channel to record on the Master Box and then go to my recordings and play the recording from the other box.  I quickly and easily pause rewind and ff from that box no problem.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was possible to rent multiple DVRs, or if you could at least set up recordings from the slave boxes, but you can't, so it's pretty much useless if your TVs are far apart. I'm not going to hoof it downstairs every time I feel like setting up a recording.

The PQ isn't there on my 47" LCD, either. It's not terrible by any stretch, so if you're saving money, it might be worth it. I'm not. It costs me the same either way. The only advantage is the extra channels, but there's no way I'm going to put up with the limitations of this DVR box for HDNet and HDNet Movies, especially when you consider that I can't even watch/record more than 2 HD streams at once despite the fact that my RG could easily sync at 60Mbps or more. (The VRAD is maybe 10 or 20 yards from my front door)

While I can't say I've made up my mind for sure yet, it's not looking good for U-Verse. I may consider keeping the Internet part, though, since Cox is only at 15Mbps (before Powerboost), while I can get 18 from at&t that should be completely reliable without the TV hogging the bandwidth.

And as I said before, there are certain aspects of the service that blow away Cox's standard offering. The channel change speed is crazy fast, the online scheduling is a nice feature, and as I said before, the extra channels are also nice. It's not all bad by any means, I just think it fails overall on the TV front compared to my TiVos.

I'm going to give it a week or two and if my mind still isn't changed, the stuff is going back.

You are not going to get 60 Mbps.  Unless you are new build area with fiber to the house, U-Verse limits to around 25 Mbps for all services - with as you mentioned internet capped at 18 Mbps (of course, probably far less if you are watching HD channels).

Oddly enough even though I have decided Cox service is vastly superior to U-Verse it is not picture quality for me as a main reason.  I think picture quality on U-Verse is only slightly less than Cox.  The big issue is HD service and On Demand.  And I like having a lot of speed for internet.  AT&T wants $55 for 18 Mbps -- I can get 20 Mbps with Cox for $34 in my Cox bundle.  Plus I don't need a digital box in my daughter's room so nice to have free 68 channel service in her room and the garage -- with U-Verse I need a $7 receiver in each room.

And frankly I wasn't so anti-AT&T until I kept reading Tim H try to fake everyone on this board and make up stories about what his company's service can do.  

And you get all the OKC Thunder games on Cox - while AT&T only carries some of the games.  Of course, since the Thunder is horrible maybe that is not a good reason Smiley.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2009, 11:08:03 am »

quote:
Originally posted by HDPokeFan

quote:
Originally posted by nathanm

quote:

quote:

You are not going to get 60 Mbps.  Unless you are new build area with fiber to the house, U-Verse limits to around 25 Mbps for all services - with as you mentioned internet capped at 18 Mbps (of course, probably far less
if you are watching HD channels).
AT&T wants $55 for 18 Mbps -- I can get 20 Mbps with Cox for $34 in my Cox bundle.  Plus I don't need a digital box in my daughter's room so nice to have free 68 channel service in her room and the garage -- with U-Verse I need a $7 receiver in each room.

Even in FTTH areas, the profiles are exactly the same, it's just delivered over fiber instead of VDSL. And I know they won't use the extra capacity my line has, but I could sync at 60Mbps if they'd let me. (the RG actually says 70, but the tech's tester said 60)

As far as Internet goes, Cox won't give me a discount without taking their phone service also, which I'm not at all interested in, so the prices are the same. And Cox's 20Mbps tier isn't actually 20Mbps, it's 15Mbps with the first 10 seconds or so uncapped. I've gotten 30Mbps on speed tests with it before, but any time you actually download something, after the first 10 seconds it'll drop back to 15Mbps.

I don't have a problem with that except on the marketing end of things.

With at&t, if you don't have TV service (or don't have HD service, or only watch one HD channel at a time on the 25Mbps profile) you'll get the full 18Mbps (minus the slightly higher overhead that at&t incurs because they use PPPoE, so really about 17Mbps)

That's one thing I really liked about my DSL service. The speed was slower than snot (3Mbps..they couldn't get me 6), but it was always there. Cox is pretty good in that department, too, but there are a few more slowdowns with them to certain sites than I used to see on DSL.

Right now I'm thinking I will probably cancel the TV but keep the Internet since it's the same price and is actually faster on large downloads. Not that I think Powerboost is bad, mind you, but 18 is better than 15 and I do download a lot of stuff, so the jump to 20Mbps or higher at the start of a download just isn't that interesting to me.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
tim huntzinger
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2009, 12:53:39 pm »

quote:

And frankly I wasn't so anti-AT&T until I kept reading Tim H try to fake everyone on this board and make up stories about what his company's service can do.  

And frankly it takes a real man to create a phoney tag to issue broadside attacks on someone you cannot win a debate with in any other way! What a creep! You must think readers here are complete morons. I sure do not.  Good luck with that smear campaign! What, did I hurt your feelings crybaby? Whaaaahhh! Ha ha ha! Chump! What a rube!

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2009, 01:18:07 pm »

quote:

quote:

And frankly it takes a real man to create a phoney tag to issue broadside attacks on someone you cannot win a debate with in any other way! What a creep! You must think readers here are complete morons. I sure do not.  Good luck with that smear campaign! What, did I hurt your feelings crybaby? Whaaaahhh! Ha ha ha! Chump! What a rube!

To be honest Tim, it's no worse than being a misleading shill.

And I do recall him asking you questions about the service and you saying 'if I had the time'.  You still haven't answered.

And if people want to see mixed reviews on UVerse, just head over to DSLReports on the SBC forum and the tabs at the top to find the ATT UVerse forum.  There you won't get shills telling you how Uverse can walk on water, pay off the national debt..etc.  These are from real life people and not employess of AT&T.

Oh, and if you want to know, there's a Cox forum over there as well.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:20:40 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
tim huntzinger
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2009, 01:35:29 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hoss

And I do recall him asking you questions about the service and you saying 'if I had the time'.  You still haven't answered.

Keep trying there pal.  Zero misleading information.  If I had the time I would go back through seven pages and cut and paste and blah blah blah, right? Wrong. If you want to go back through it all and show me where I have mislead or even misspoke I will be more than happy to correct myself.  In the meantime we have determined that U-verse offers a variety of exciting new features that greatly enhance customer experience.

The number of HD channels U-verse offers will expand to over 100 by end of month February.  By end of year 09 30% of residences in the at&t footprint will be close enough to the fibreoptic nodes to enjoy the service.
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2009, 02:16:35 pm »

quote:

quote:

Keep trying there pal.  Zero misleading information.  If I had the time I would go back through seven pages and cut and paste and blah blah blah, right? Wrong. If you want to go back through it all and show me where I have mislead or even misspoke I will be more than happy to correct myself.  In the meantime we have determined that U-verse offers a variety of exciting new features that greatly enhance customer experience.

The number of HD channels U-verse offers will expand to over 100 by end of month February.  By end of year 09 30% of residences in the at&t footprint will be close enough to the fibreoptic nodes to enjoy the service.

Ooooooooooh.. competitive service in 30% of areas by year end.. I wouldn't be bragging about that.

can this be over yet? PLEASE? Will you guys go back to convincing yourself that you're awesome in the mirror? I am tired of this stupid useless thread coming up in my recently active threads. Gawd.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 02:17:19 pm by EricP » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2009, 02:17:12 pm »

quote:

quote:

Guess what?  30 percent is less than 100 percent.

You're making my point so much easier.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/uverse
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 02:20:44 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

tim huntzinger
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2009, 02:51:34 pm »

Hoss, now you are just being completely stupid - as stupid as Eric must be requesting alerts on on threads from TulsaNow!
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2009, 07:43:13 pm »

quote:

Hoss, now you are just being completely stupid - as stupid as Eric must be requesting alerts on on threads from TulsaNow!

You're still not addressing the question.

I guess when you don't have a valid answer to it you call other people stupid.  I have a 5 year old nephew that does this.

tim huntzinger
« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2009, 08:16:30 pm »

What questions precisely? Again, understand that I am congenitally unable to allow the last word on the subject a dig at myself or a decent product that I sell.  That package may not be perfect - but it is in the zip code of perfect! Ha ha hoss! Hi Eric!
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2009, 09:02:36 pm »

quote:

What questions precisely? Again, understand that I am congenitally unable to allow the last word on the subject a dig at myself or a decent product that I sell.  That package may not be perfect - but it is in the zip code of perfect! Ha ha hoss! Hi Eric!

Dude, you suffer from ADHD.  Seek help.  Really.  Hell, I almost expect you to start wearing a cheerleading uniform with AT&T's logo and a big U on a sweater.

You also suffer from elitism, as the zip code comment plainly suggests.  I wonder how your handlers at AT&T would look on this?

And mods, please feel free to lock this topic.  I believe it's run its course because all you're going to get are answers from a shill.

tim huntzinger
« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2009, 09:10:56 pm »

quote:

Dude, you suffer from ADHD.  Seek help.  Really.  Hell, I almost expect you to start wearing a cheerleading uniform with AT&T's logo and a big U on a sweater.

You also suffer from elitism, as the zip code comment plainly suggests.  I wonder how your handlers at AT&T would look on this?

And mods, please feel free to lock this topic.  I believe it's run its course because all you're going to get are answers from a shill.

. . . and inaccurate, misleading, incorrect and biased lies from anonymous detractors.  U-verse leads customer satisfaction versus its cable competitors.  I am sorry that upsets you.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2009, 09:47:41 am »

quote:

U-verse leads customer satisfaction versus its cable competitors.  I am sorry that upsets you.

And all this time I thought most households had more than one TV set. Maybe most people don't care if their kids/wife/whoever get all the same features as they do in the living room.

On the feature set alone, TiVo on cable is a much better proposition. Really, the only thing Uverse has going for it is the expanded channel lineup.

TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #179 on: February 17, 2009, 08:54:01 am »

Well AT&T finally came out yesterday and installed U-verse.  I must say the Tech was very knowledgable in some areas, and other areas not as much.

Tech called about 1000AM and said he would be there in about 30 minutes.  1030 rolls around and he is right on time.  I show him where the tv's are and he explains what he is going to set up, etc.  

Install went pretty smooth with only minor problems.  I originally ordered U200 with HD.  He showed I ordered U200 with no HD plus internet.  A quick phonecall to whomever quickly solved the mixup.  Overall install time was about 3 hours.  I did have him turn on the internet with their "max" speed of 18 and he assured me it would be dedicated, with the TV feed being different.  I tested the speeds both on my laptop and on my desktop and they still were not as fast as Cox.  I am calling them tonight to disconnect the internet.

As for the picture quality, it is pretty good.  I have both TV's hooked up with HDMI.  The picture color is what concerns me.  The black levels are off as are peoples faces and skin tones.  People's skin tones almost look orange.  

As for the blacks, it is kind of hard to describe.  For instance, last night I was flipping through the HD channels and landed on fox news with Greta.  It was an interview with Sarah Palins daughter.  She was wearing a black shirt and has dark hair.  When the camera was on her, you could not distinguish between the shirt and her hair, it all looked as one.  I noticed this while watching the Texas A&M basketball game on ESPN HD as well.  The blacks just seem to run togheter for lack of a better word.

I have read on uverseusers.com that this might be a problem with the HDMI, as these boxes are succeptible to problems.  I will switch to component cables tonight and see what it looks like.  

I have it all hooked up via ethernet and the router is sitting behind my tv in the living room.

I still have my directv hoooked up via cox with HDMI to the tv's and have been comparing.  I would say after 1 day I will probably stick with Directv as they are coming out with an app for the iphone where I can set my recordings and such thruogh the phone.  You can do it online like Directv but only if you subscribe to AT&T's internet.

Pros for the uverse are its LIGHTNING QUICK response when changing channels as well as the guide in comparison to Directv.  Also, the Total Home DVR is great.  

One other thing I like about directv is it tells you the original run date in the info button, where as AT&T does not.  

Overall, U-verse has some great features, but the overall picture quality IMO is inferior to that of Directv.  If Uverse could improve upon their picture quality it would be vastly superior, but the picture quality kills it for me.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 09:00:35 am by TUalum0982 » Logged

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org