A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 05:30:09 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I would like a categorized list  (Read 5028 times)
waterboy
« on: October 08, 2008, 02:19:56 pm »

of business addresses within a mile radius of my home address. I want to walk or ride my bike to work or play. I know that I'm near Cherry Street and Brookside but it occurs to me that there are businesses nearby that haven't made themselves known to me for one reason or another. Its expensive to reach customers in this town.

Is that even possible? A database that would be searchable by distance from a source. I would like to be able to just punch in a category like "Bicycles" or "Attorneys" and get a list onscreen. Sort of like a personalized yellow pages online.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 02:24:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

of business addresses within a mile radius of my home address. I want to walk or ride my bike to work or play. I know that I'm near Cherry Street and Brookside but it occurs to me that there are businesses nearby that haven't made themselves known to me for one reason or another. Its expensive to reach customers in this town.

Is that even possible? A database that would be searchable by distance from a source. I would like to be able to just punch in a category like "Bicycles" or "Attorneys" and get a list onscreen. Sort of like a personalized yellow pages online.

WB- I'm pretty sure you can filter 411.com that way or even yahoo yellow pages.

Funny you mentioned it.  I finally ate at Ella's Deli today.  They are four blocks from my house and I'd have never heard of them if it weren't for TNF.  They said they've been there since January.

I highly recommend it, best Reuben I think I've ever had.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 02:33:41 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:

Funny you mentioned it.  I finally ate at Ella's Deli today.  They are four blocks from my house and I'd have never heard of them if it weren't for TNF.  They said they've been there since January.

Hmm...did you say Reuben?  I love Reuben sandwiches if they're made traditional.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 02:35:47 pm »

Google maps does that....just put in your address and click "Search Nearby" and put in "pizza" or "dry cleaner" or whatever.

rwarn17588
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 03:01:43 pm »

^ Ditto on Google Maps.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 03:03:26 pm »

Now if there were only some sort of device that would allow him to take this "google-maps" on his bicycle with him.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 03:09:21 pm »

^ Brilliant! Now if only you could come up with something like that...it would have to be sleek and sexy, and have a multitude of functions...you'd be a bazillionaire!!
grahambino
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 03:12:54 pm »

maps.google.com

type in:

pizza near 1500 S peoria, tulsa, ok (substitute your address)

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 03:14:22 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaMINI

^ Brilliant! Now if only you could come up with something like that...it would have to be sleek and sexy, and have a multitude of functions...you'd be a bazillionaire!!

Kinda like Steve Jobs?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 03:23:46 pm »

quote:

Kinda like Steve Jobs?

As if that one trick pony (the product, not Jobs) was the first to do that, or even the best at it.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 03:34:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

Now if there were only some sort of device that would allow him to take this "google-maps" on his bicycle with him.

If you know how to use text msg's on your cell phone, you can use the google text services
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 03:35:04 pm by jne » Logged

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
mrB
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 06:15:35 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jne

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

If you know how to use text msg's on your cell phone, you can use the google text services

Garmin Edge 705 GPS

Curmudgeon
Citizen

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 06:15:52 pm »

I believe it was mentioned in another thread but http://www.walkscore.com/ also lists near businesses/services.

waterboy
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 08:02:07 pm »

Thank you oh Geeky ones! I shall try them all tomorrow.

TulsaNow...OKC-Later
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 08:50:11 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Hoss

quote:

quote:

Hmm...did you say Reuben?  I love Reuben sandwiches if they're made traditional.

Most definitely, they use a marbled rye instead of pumpernickle, but I think it's better.

Give Ella's a shot.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org