A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 09, 2024, 06:50:33 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: when was the golden driller "neutered"  (Read 9163 times)
mobboss
Activist

« on: October 13, 2008, 04:34:04 pm »

anyone remember when the golden driller at the fairgrounds had a load of money thrown at it to restore its aging appearance, part of the work was to re-profile his 'prominent bulge" now it's shaved flat...cut off at the root so to speak.

does anyone remember this or recall who had this great idea? did they find it offensive or vulgar?
i wonder if it was city coucil, fairgrounds  board or outraged christian citizens

also a fave memory of the driller was the "OZZY" graffiti sprayed on his knuckles back then...

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 05:21:55 pm »

I don't know when that particular "alteration" was done but here's what he looked like in the very beginning:

http://www.charlesphoenix.com/2004-05-28/#
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 05:30:00 pm »

Wow! That's crazy. I think I like it's current appearance over that, though!

---Robert
Aa5drvr
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 05:34:22 pm »

I think remnants of that Golden Driller sat on the North side of the fairgrounds during the 1960's.

Does anyone one recall when there was a Navy / Marines reserve center just north of the barns?
As kids we went back in there one time and found out that Golden Driller was made of papier mache'.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 05:43:23 pm »

Actually, at first, every year or so they would build a new Golden Driller for the oil expo. Saw a pic of one that was climbing the oil derrick. Even the one we have now wasn't supposed to be permanent. It was supposed to be permanently replaced by.... http://goddessofoil.com/

And no, I dont remember when they "neutered" the golden driller. Perhaps he has it duct taped back like some drag queen lol. Regardless, I wince just about every time I see the poor guy now lol. The main questin is "Why, for goodness sakes, did they do that?"

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 05:48:15 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
naenae42day
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 06:28:44 pm »

I prefer the one posted here in the forum to the current version.  The current driller looks like a stale cheeto...or like he was carved out of butter and rolled in corn meal. Oh no wait...the old foam rubber...remember the yellowish flaky stuff...that is the color.
Porky
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 07:09:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mobboss

anyone remember when the golden driller at the fairgrounds had a load of money thrown at it to restore its aging appearance, part of the work was to re-profile his 'prominent bulge" now it's shaved flat...cut off at the root so to speak.

does anyone remember this or recall who had this great idea? did they find it offensive or vulgar?
i wonder if it was city coucil, fairgrounds  board or outraged christian citizens

also a fave memory of the driller was the "OZZY" graffiti sprayed on his knuckles back then...

Are you saying if a statue was constructed for Mayor Kathy Taylor it should include a camel toe?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 09:14:28 pm »

I'm too tired to look up the thread, but this was my favorite so far, produced at my request to see him in a surfer shirt smoking a big doobie.

I don't remember which forum member did this, please stand up and accept the applause!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 09:27:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

Actually, at first, every year or so they would build a new Golden Driller for the oil expo. Saw a pic of one that was climbing the oil derrick. Even the one we have now wasn't supposed to be permanent. It was supposed to be permanently replaced by.... http://goddessofoil.com/

And no, I dont remember when they "neutered" the golden driller. Perhaps he has it duct taped back like some drag queen lol. Regardless, I wince just about every time I see the poor guy now lol. The main questin is "Why, for goodness sakes, did they do that?"

If you ask me the version of the Driller posted above looks pretty fay, don't you think?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »

I'll definitely take the current over TulsaMini's version.
Bumby
Activist

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 10:41:34 pm »

I remember A Golden Driller laying around on the north side of the fairgrounds!  I was quite young and found him kinda scary but sad.  I think I remember him holding a hammer?

Seems to me the current one was neutered in the late 80's.  He had gotten rather holey.
mrB
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 03:39:40 am »

Please, no applause Conan. Here's a new one for the season!

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 07:17:30 am »

I'm still waiting for the ruckus from William's Goddess of Oil Statue.  PLEASE William, when the first person accuses you of making an obscene statue reply: "I don't think my Grandmother is, in any way, obscene."  

Too many prudes.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 08:02:15 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mrB

Please, no applause Conan. Here's a new one for the season!

*sniff* just beautiful.  Will there be a Thanksgiving and Xmas version as well, this year?

Hometown
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 02:17:17 pm »

I met the artist that designed the Golden Driller.  He lived on the north side of the Fairgrounds around Pittsburgh.  I visited him in his home one day.  Must have been about 1970.  His house was filled with old art works and visually fascinating junk.  He was an immigrant.  I think Greek.

Anyway, I don't think the current incarnation ever had much going on thereabouts.  Don't think anything got shaved, just never was much of anything there to begin with.

Of course that was a time when just about anything overtly sexual got airbrushed away or banished to Siberia.

Pitty.  Certainly not reflective of Tulsa's vigor.

More artistic merit than the animal art over by the River.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org