A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 11:16:46 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shame On You!  (Read 14392 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: January 21, 2009, 12:56:39 pm »

We talked about who was behind these "labor dispute" banners around town a few months back and I don't remember the details.  So far, I've seen them posted outside TU, IBC bank branches, and St. Francis Hospital.

I've asked tellers at IBC when I've been in before and no one seems to know what the issue is and who is behind it.

Refresh my memory, please.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
mrburns918
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 01:05:24 pm »

While visiting Topeca in downtown yesterday the demonstration was in full force. I couldn't figure out if they were protesting the bank or the Mayo. Either way, I can't imagine Topeca liking all that going on just outside their business.

I am all for the right to protest, but at least make your point clear instead of irritating.

Mr. Burns

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 01:20:08 pm »

Homeless paid by the carpenter's union.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 01:28:33 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Homeless paid by the carpenter's union.

+1

I stopped and talked to them when they were outside TU a few times.  It is the carpenter union protesting various organizations for hiring a contractor who subbed out various aspects of the project to sub contracts who don't use union carpenters.

In the case of TU;  TU hired Flyntco who hired Bennett Steel who hired some other company to do the word framing - and that company didn't use union carpenters.  So shame on TU.

The people that were in front of TU were members of the Union and/or their immediate family members each of the times I asked (2 or 3).  They had fliers they handed out, I might have scanned one and will check.  But they explained why The University of Tulsa was a rat and so on.  However, the downtown marching group certainly can't be Union members.  At least, I assume not.

I saw them in front of another location over the weekend.  An IBC Bank maybe?

SHAME ON YOU TULSA NOW for being hosted by a web company that is a tenant in a building that had renovations done by a company that had a subcontractor find a framing company that doesn't use Union labor.  SHAME ON YOU.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 02:04:29 pm »

Carpenter's Union "wood" make sense on IBC since they have built some branches recently.  I have a couple of accounts there, so good job for saving a few pennies.

Now, St. Francis and TU not using union carpenters, that's just scurrilous!!!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 02:19:25 pm »

Begs the question...  were the people they had marching/chanting downtown on a union payroll?

SHAME ON THE CARPENTERS UNION.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
mrducks
Citizen

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 08:29:09 am »

The marchers/chanters are people they hire from the Salvation Army and the Day Center. Evidently, the union carpenters aren't losing too much work if there aren't enough of them to protest. Shame on the Union for trying to justify their positions by generating useless protests and wasting union member dollars on alcoholics and lazy people.

wordherder
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 10:37:19 am »

Yeah, they've got a beef with one particular contractor that doesn't use union workers.

I'm generally sympathetic to unions by default, but these guys are posting people in front of the downtown Crowne Plaza every day.

Keep in mind that construction at the Crowne Plaza ended six months ago.

It's getting to the point that I'm wondering why they don't, y'know, WORK and do a better and more affective job than whatever contractor they're pissy at?  I can't possibly fathom what they stand to gain by continuing to protest construction projects long ended.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 10:42:12 am »

If I was a union member I'd be pissed my union dues are being wasted like this.

I watched a couple of people stationed on the NE corner of 21st & Yale break camp one day.  They crossed over to the Wal-Mart Mkt. parking lot and put their stuff in a van.  Not sure if it was theirs or if someone was working a route picking up and dropping off.  Apparently, IBC doesn't allow them to park in their lot.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 01:52:00 pm »

Yea they were there in front of the Crowne Plaza last Mayfest where we were painting the mural. I didnt ask what their beef was.

Figured they were disgruntled employees or something, and was like... if ya dont like the company, work for another one or start your own. Companies are not there to make the employees money, employees are there to make the company money. This is America, if you want money, you can start your own company or buy stocks in, partly own, companies. Plus if you can do it better and compete in a global market paying your workers more... absolutely go for it.    

What do they hope to accomplish by doing what they are doing? Do they seriously think there are enough people who really care? I dont have any stats, but I dont think there are.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 01:54:12 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
wordherder
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 02:09:01 pm »

I could understand the protests if these places broke a contract to use a union company in order to use a non-union one, because there would be actual monetary damages there.  There doesn't seem to be any actual harm in these cases.

As Conan said, the whole thing is a gigantic waste of money and will just cause people to take them less seriously when they run into a work situation actually worth fighting for.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 02:22:15 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

What do they hope to accomplish by doing what they are doing?

Putting on a show for the union workers (who are in fact act work elsewhere) to justify the money they take from their members. If you'll notice they photograph and video tape events, especially when they do marches and chants.
Gold
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 10:37:15 pm »

It is getting really old.  They have been in front of Crowne Plaza, in different numbers, for a couple of years.  They are always in front of Mayo.  IBC near Mayo is a new addition.  They've also gone after Hilcrest and TU (as mentioned above).

I'm all for organizing a "Shame on the shamers" protest next to them one day.  Of course, I have a jobs and that makes it difficult to find the time.  UTW did a little story, but I'm surprised no one else has kicked them yet.  It accomplishes nothing and looks bad.  I'd be pissed if I was in the Snyder family and those fools out there every single day.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 12:36:55 am »

Will there be beer and lawn chairs at said Shame the Shamers rally?  I'm in.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 12:40:36 am »

wait.  Why don't we try to hire away their protesters form them?  (rumor has it they get $10 an hour cash)

BETTER YET!

Oh this is awesome.  Let's try to organize the paid protesters.   International Union of Hired Protesters.  Or  maybe our picket can be on behalf of the picketers Union calling them scabs for using non-union picketers.  

"No member of the picketers union would take a carpenters job!"  

"Hey hey.  Hey Ho.  Union picketers are the way to go!"

/why do i stay up until 1am thinking of crap like this?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org