A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 02:26:31 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yes, Guido, Obama is the president....  (Read 5225 times)
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« on: January 21, 2009, 09:12:04 pm »

...despite the bumbling of the oath.  For those that watched, it was clear that Roberts & Obama got mixed up during the oath.  Because of the the mix up, some were wondering if the failure to read the oath exactly as written in the Constitution invalidated the presidency.  Most legal scholars say that the oath is irrelevant; Obama took office at noon under the Constitution even though he wasn't administered the oath until 12:10, and mixing up the wording doesn't matter.  Still, maybe from the experience of the birth certificate rumors, Obama decided to be extra cautious--Roberts re-administered the oath today.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/21/obama.oath/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Personally, I think Bush could have used a daily reminder of his oath.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 09:38:16 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by pmcalk

...despite the bumbling of the oath.  For those that watched, it was clear that Roberts & Obama got mixed up during the oath.  Because of the the mix up, some were wondering if the failure to read the oath exactly as written in the Constitution invalidated the presidency.  Most legal scholars say that the oath is irrelevant; Obama took office at noon under the Constitution even though he wasn't administered the oath until 12:10, and mixing up the wording doesn't matter.  Still, maybe from the experience of the birth certificate rumors, Obama decided to be extra cautious--Roberts re-administered the oath today.

Ya don't say. I don't recall ever pushing the birth cfertificate issue or this oath "controversy", which I heard for the first time late this afternoon. I was busy working today--even though I am not a "working person"--earning money that Obama plans on taking away from me so he can spread my wealth around.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
nsugrad_05
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 09:49:46 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by guido911

quote:

Ya don't say. I don't recall ever pushing the birth cfertificate issue or this oath "controversy", which I heard for the first time late this afternoon. I was busy working today--even though I am not a "working person"--earning money that Obama plans on taking away from me so he can spread my wealth around.

Thats right and then hes going to go door to door and take your guns, then hes going to make sure all your women have abortions, then hes going to make you convert to Islam, and then he will reveal that in fact he is the anti-christ. Then he will rest cuase hes gonna be very tired from all that evil-doing.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 11:09:44 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by nsugrad_05

quote:

quote:

Thats right and then hes going to go door to door and take your guns, then hes going to make sure all your women have abortions, then hes going to make you convert to Islam, and then he will reveal that in fact he is the anti-christ. Then he will rest cuase hes gonna be very tired from all that evil-doing.

After wading through your BS, are you saying that he does not intend to raise taxes?

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 01:41:29 am »

quote:

After wading through your BS, are you saying that he does not intend to raise taxes?

Oh, he probably will. Good thing. The government is bleeding and there's not so much left to cut after Reagan cut off the welfare queens, Bush I kicked out all the broccoli, Clinton decimated the military, and Bush II got rid of all the regulations on business. [Cheesy]

Out of curiosity, what percentage of your total income will you be paying in income taxes this year?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 08:37:33 am »

Wow, he's an attorney.  There is a good chance he is self employed:

7.65 - Social Security
7.65 - Social Security Match
1.45 - Medicaid
1.45 - Medicaid Match
25   - Federal Income Tax (estimate)
6.5  - State Income Tax (estimate)
9   - sales tax (all regular sales taxes + extra for alcohol, gas, etc.)
5 - property tax (estimate, based on value NOT earnings but...)

That's ignoring other various fees, charges and taxes he may or may not pay throughout the year.  Just a down and dirty number would be 63.7%.  That ignores plenty of factors (cap on SS potentially comes into play, capital gains could offset, maybe has a matching employer, tax deductions, property tax is not on income)... but still, the list shows plenty of taxes to be paid.  

On a more realistic basis, about 12% of all money earned will go to the state and local governments.  About 25% will go to the fed (assuming he is top 60% of earners and self employed).   So about 37% of his income will go to Taxation.

I believe there is a Ben Franklin quote about how oppressive and inefficient a government that takes more than 1/3 a man's worth.  Consider in 1950 taxes were less than 5% of income.  Largely having to do with the adage "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free."  P. J. O'Rourke.

Were we talking about taxation... I'm lost.  

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
rhymnrzn
Activist

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 09:41:32 am »

quote:

bail-outs, stimulus acts, jobz creation (work to no end) means taxes will need to be raised

you cannot raise taxes by taxing the poor.....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:45:58 am by rhymnrzn » Logged
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 10:25:09 am »

If brains were taxed, I would get a rebate.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 10:48:25 am »

This whole thread is taxing.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 11:03:36 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

Wow, he's an attorney.  There is a good chance he is self employed:

7.65 - Social Security
7.65 - Social Security Match
1.45 - Medicaid
1.45 - Medicaid Match
25   - Federal Income Tax (estimate)
6.5  - State Income Tax (estimate)
9   - sales tax (all regular sales taxes + extra for alcohol, gas, etc.)
5 - property tax (estimate, based on value NOT earnings but...)

That's ignoring other various fees, charges and taxes he may or may not pay throughout the year.  Just a down and dirty number would be 63.7%.  That ignores plenty of factors (cap on SS potentially comes into play, capital gains could offset, maybe has a matching employer, tax deductions, property tax is not on income)... but still, the list shows plenty of taxes to be paid.  

On a more realistic basis, about 12% of all money earned will go to the state and local governments.  About 25% will go to the fed (assuming he is top 60% of earners and self employed).   So about 37% of his income will go to Taxation.

I believe there is a Ben Franklin quote about how oppressive and inefficient a government that takes more than 1/3 a man's worth.  Consider in 1950 taxes were less than 5% of income.  Largely having to do with the adage "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free."  P. J. O'Rourke.

Were we talking about taxation... I'm lost.  

I hate to rain on your up-beat post, but let's not forget imbedded taxes on every single item Guido will purchase (corporate taxes, EPA and OSHA compliance costs, etc. ad nauseum) in addition to sales taxes.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 11:20:33 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

If brains were taxed, I would get a rebate.

Post of the week candidate.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 11:24:12 am »

quote:
Originally posted by nathanm

Out of curiosity, what percentage of your total income will you be paying in income taxes this year?

Come on Nathan, you know I can't go there. Let's just say that my family falls in the federal tax increase category under Obama's plan.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org