A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 11:19:48 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Justices sympathetic to immigrant in ID theft case  (Read 1404 times)
dbacks fan
« on: February 26, 2009, 08:46:06 am »

Okay, I'm going to vent a little on this one. Just read this story on identity theftthat really has me chapped. Having suffered ID theft twice in the last five years I can't believe that the US Supreme Court is about to give an "undocumented alien" a break for possessing some one elses ID because he did not have it to steal money from that persons bank account or run up credit. Yes I get the fact that the person that sold him the documents actually stole or created it, but the point is he was in possesion of some one elses ID. When are we going to stop giving away rights to people who are here illegally? I understand they should get the same treatment as us, but this is insane. What part of he "Purchased a stolen identity" am I missing?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:44:48 am »

quote:
Originally posted by dbacks fan

Okay, I'm going to vent a little on this one. Just read this story on identity theftthat really has me chapped. Having suffered ID theft twice in the last five years I can't believe that the US Supreme Court is about to give an "undocumented alien" a break for possessing some one elses ID because he did not have it to steal money from that persons bank account or run up credit. Yes I get the fact that the person that sold him the documents actually stole or created it, but the point is he was in possesion of some one elses ID. When are we going to stop giving away rights to people who are here illegally? I understand they should get the same treatment as us, but this is insane. What part of he "Purchased a stolen identity" am I missing?

The part about "intent." The person intended to procure a false identification document and social security number, not a number that belonged to another person.

It's sort of like killing someone without intending to do so. You aren't guilty of murder, although you probably are guilty of manslaughter.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org