A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 09:20:34 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you kidding me?  (Read 6355 times)
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« on: April 04, 2009, 12:25:21 pm »

To the girl at the car wash this morning:

Are you kidding me? Are you really going to dry your car while still in the car wash bay when others are waiting to use it?

What act of stupidity did you witness today?
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 12:32:11 pm »

I would have went over there, put some quarters in and sprayed her right in the face.  And dont think for a minute that I am kidding.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 01:31:13 pm »

To the girl at the car wash this morning:

Are you kidding me? Are you really going to dry your car while still in the car wash bay when others are waiting to use it?

What act of stupidity did you witness today?

When no one is there I don't pull out o dry but if anyone else is waiting or its pretty busy I always get out of the way.

I will say I don;t think most people think about others when they do things like that. Anyway sorry for your morning being slightly messed up due to inconsiderate people.

Thank you,
Robert Town
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 03:06:32 pm »

I was driving down a residential road today and there was a chair in the middle of the road. It was either really nice lawn furniture or some sort of "sun room" type chair. Having never been in the situation I was unsure if I should wait patiently for the chair to finish crossing the road, try to see if the chair had a nametag and take it back to it's owner, or just try to drive around it.

I went around it and came back later and it had finished crossing the street, but I'm still not sure where it was going. I expect to see a sign on lightposts shortly:

Missing Chair
Reward
Answers to "miffy"

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 05:14:51 pm »

I was driving down a residential road today and there was a chair in the middle of the road. It was either really nice lawn furniture or some sort of "sun room" type chair. Having never been in the situation I was unsure if I should wait patiently for the chair to finish crossing the road, try to see if the chair had a nametag and take it back to it's owner, or just try to drive around it.

I went around it and came back later and it had finished crossing the street, but I'm still not sure where it was going. I expect to see a sign on lightposts shortly:

Missing Chair
Reward
Answers to "miffy"

The chair was probably just taking advantage of OK spring weather to go exploring.  It must have heard there will be a wind shift tomorrow to take it back home.  Grin

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 05:42:21 pm »

It's a little-known fact that chairs engage in seasonal migrations.  They go south in winter and spend the cold months lounging on tropical beaches, supporting tourists wearing loud shirts as they drink beverages decorated with tiny paper umbrellas.  Then, when the sun's movement triggers their northward journey in the spring, they descend on decks and patios where they mate, producing little footstools that will renew the cycle later in the year.

Just this morning, I saw a flock of Minnesota ladder-backs heading north.  I love this time of the year.

You guys need to watch PBS more often.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 09:56:34 pm »

Stray or migrating lawn furniture...you guys are killing me!

TM- not yesterday, but Friday night coming home from work, I sat behind people making a left turn at two different intersections marked no left turn.  I'm always curious what makes those people so much more special than the rest of us.  Makes me wish I had Wilbur on speed dial.

The other one that pisses me off is people who can't find the turn signal lever in their BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus.  Are turn signals optional in luxury cars these days?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 10:46:42 pm »

The other one that pisses me off is people who can't find the turn signal lever in their BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus.  Are turn signals optional in luxury cars these days?

In 1995 the turn signals on BMW were standard.  The instructions on how to use them was optional.  Haven't been able to afford a new one since then.

dbacks fan
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 01:51:59 pm »

It's a little-known fact that chairs engage in seasonal migrations.  They go south in winter and spend the cold months lounging on tropical beaches, supporting tourists wearing loud shirts as they drink beverages decorated with tiny paper umbrellas.  Then, when the sun's movement triggers their northward journey in the spring, they descend on decks and patios where they mate, producing little footstools that will renew the cycle later in the year.

Just this morning, I saw a flock of Minnesota ladder-backs heading north.  I love this time of the year.

You guys need to watch PBS more often.

As a matter of fact now that spring training for baseball is over, their getting stacked up at the airport waiting for the seats on the plane to head back north.
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 11:58:02 am »

Stray or migrating lawn furniture...you guys are killing me!

TM- not yesterday, but Friday night coming home from work, I sat behind people making a left turn at two different intersections marked no left turn.  I'm always curious what makes those people so much more special than the rest of us.  Makes me wish I had Wilbur on speed dial.

As a BMW owner who uses his turn signal, I object Tongue I contest that nobody anywhere knows how to use their turn signal, especially when they are waiting to get out into backed up traffic.. then they wonder why I don't let them in when I can't tell what they are trying to do. Tell me pancakes you are going and I will let you in.

mrducks
Citizen

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 04:52:26 pm »

people who are too stupid to realize they are driving with their fog lights on. When asked they will say they are "automatic" and they are too stupid to realize that fog lights and regular lights are on two different switches. What they don't seem to understand is that their stupidity is blinding everyone else on the road.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 06:47:44 pm »

people who are too stupid to realize they are driving with their fog lights on. When asked they will say they are "automatic" and they are too stupid to realize that fog lights and regular lights are on two different switches. What they don't seem to understand is that their stupidity is blinding everyone else on the road.

I thought fog lights were supposed to aim down at the road (7 degrees off level)?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Kashmir
Civic Leader

"My name is Talking Tina and I think I hate you"

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 07:07:18 pm »

I'm seeing dead birds everywhere lately.  Anyone else or am I the lucky dead animal finder this week?
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 08:21:47 pm »

I thought fog lights were supposed to aim down at the road (7 degrees off level)?

I just got a new Murano and the lights seem much brighter. At first I thought it might be that I have the brights on, but thats not it because you can make them brighter still and the "brights" light thingey comes on. Then I remembered the guy showing me the car demonstrated how the lights could be directed to move up and down, mentioned something about seeing signs better? Dont remember what he did though and have fiddled around with no success. Will have to take it back in and have them show me how to do a lot of things lol. Too many gadgets. Especially the map thingey? bluetooth? CD recording?... But yea, I have noticed a lot more really bright car lights in the last few years, and wondered if it was just different type of bulbs or something. The lights on this car are a really harsh, bright blueish light and are very focused with a sharp line deliniating where the beam of light is. Below the line its bright as day, above it dark. You can either see it and are blinding it, or its in the dark. Love everything else about the updated Murano, but the light thing is different than the old one.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 10:17:29 pm »

Old (pre 1980s ?) sealed beam lights were tungsten filament. They looked yellow by comparison to most everything since then. There were some sealed beam Halogen bulbs.  Sealed beam headlights typically put out an ill defined blob of light. I believe the US DOT defined the acceptable light pattern. Low beams had to be aimed down so much that you were probably overdriving them at 40 mph. European headlights have had a sharp cutoff for at least 35 years that I know about.  They allowed the use of bulbs that put out more light to see farther without blinding opposing traffic.  Great except if you go through a dip in the road. Halogen bulbs separately replaceable from the lens and reflector have been around/legal for at least 15 years.  This allowed the free form headlights that manufacturers used for styling and aerodynamic purposes. Some headlights are better than others regarding their pattern.  The latest I know about is the HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights.  They are very bright and require a good lens to not blind other traffic.  The aim of the lights is certainly more important than with the old yellow bulbs.  High (above the road surface) lights on an SUV will still bother low cars (Porsche, Vette, etc) even if otherwise properly aimed. 

Edit:
Forgot to mention, the purpose of headlights is to see where you are driving when it's dark out.  Returning to a weaker,  softer yellow light with terrible lens/reflector combinations would be a step backwards regarding safety.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:24:56 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org