A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 05:23:56 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATT Uverse vs Cox Cable  (Read 54638 times)
rebound
City Father

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 02:50:25 pm »

If anyone is considering UVerse make sure you ask how many HD streams you get.
2 years ago in my neighborhood it was 1 HD stream per house due to bandwidth limitations.

Yep, that's what our situation is.  We only get two HD streams at once with UVerse.  It depends upon how far away from the main box you are.  I think you do get four if you are nearer the box. But at the time anyway, I was only able to record two HD shows with DTV, so it was a wash on that aspect. 

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 03:17:47 pm »

Wow.
Good luck during rain.
You have been to sports bars and restaurants with DTV right?
Three words for you... Searching for signal
You'll become very familiar with them.

DTV is crappy to have in Tulsa during severe weather since most severe storms arrive from the SW and that is where your dish points.
Make sure you paid for support otherwise they just tell you signal strength must be weak and you need to have your dish aligned. Learn to figure out what your signal strength so you can tell them it's great when its' sunny. Then they can say, "hmmm, that's odd. That never  happens to me" and you can grab a beer or whatever your preferred blood pressure medication is and kick back with those three little words... ;o)

I had it for two years, cancelled it, and happily paid the early cancellation on the 3 year agreement to get away and have never looked back.

Sorry that you had a bad experience with Satellite Television. I worked for Tulsa Cable for 12 years. I too loved their service. Up tll 91 when TCI desroyed a great Company, and I got into the Satellite field. First with the big C-Band dishes. Loved those. They never had rain fade because of the big dish reflection. Personally I loved the way they looked, but thats just me.
The small dish had terrible rain fade through the 90s. Not so much today. The HD Dish is bigger and the Satellites are more powerful. That is why I say if it is out more than 3 to 5 minutes. Get a service call because something is wrong with the dish aiming.
I never thought that the best thing Cox Cable would ever offer would be internet. I have it because my kids do the online gaming. Once they are gone, Cox will never get another dime. But thats just me.

Also as a side note. Both Dish and Direct are 2 year contracts, not 3.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 03:19:43 pm by DolfanBob » Logged

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 06:45:51 pm »

Also as a side note. Both Dish and Direct are 2 year contracts, not 3.

He's right, only 2 years, and that's only if you are getting subsidized equipment or services.  Weatherdemon's story doesnt hold water.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 08:30:33 pm »

I've been happy with Direct for over three years.  Yes we get some rain fade but it's never an extended period.  I've had cable taken out by tree branches before so there's pros and cons to every delivery method.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 08:36:06 pm »

I've been happy with Direct for over three years.  Yes we get some rain fade but it's never an extended period.  I've had cable taken out by tree branches before so there's pros and cons to every delivery method.

I've considered the satellite option for some time.  I've heard stories from friends who have had it, but my concerns lie with the carriage fights that always seem to happen with one or both of the sat providers.  It happens too often for me.

I got Cox to reduce my bill to cheaper than what I was paying for last year for one year.  I told them they have me for a year.  After that, they'd have to prove to me with upgraded equipment and services that they deserve my business.  With the six-tuner DVR allegedly coming next month, we will see.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 09:21:55 pm »

I've considered the satellite option for some time.  I've heard stories from friends who have had it, but my concerns lie with the carriage fights that always seem to happen with one or both of the sat providers.  It happens too often for me.

I got Cox to reduce my bill to cheaper than what I was paying for last year for one year.  I told them they have me for a year.  After that, they'd have to prove to me with upgraded equipment and services that they deserve my business.  With the six-tuner DVR allegedly coming next month, we will see.

I hadn't heard that. Who's building the six tuner box? Another Cisco or something from Pace?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 09:34:05 pm »

I hadn't heard that. Who's building the six tuner box? Another Cisco or something from Pace?

Cisco.  They're transitioning to IP based instead of QAM from my understanding.

http://blogs.cisco.com/sp/cisco-and-cox-at-ces-evolving-second-screen-tv-with-next-gen-mobile-app/

Too bad Tim H doesn't frequent anymore.  I still won't touch U-verse, even if I could get it, because it includes the letters A T and T in them.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 07:37:19 am »

Cisco.  They're transitioning to IP based instead of QAM from my understanding.

http://blogs.cisco.com/sp/cisco-and-cox-at-ces-evolving-second-screen-tv-with-next-gen-mobile-app/

Too bad Tim H doesn't frequent anymore.  I still won't touch U-verse, even if I could get it, because it includes the letters A T and T in them.

Most set tops built the last few years are DOCSIS boxes and can do that. That IP on demand data overlay is what AT&T is doing on Uverse that's slowing the guide down.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2013, 07:42:42 am »

Most set tops built the last few years are DOCSIS boxes and can do that. That IP on demand data overlay is what AT&T is doing on Uverse that's slowing the guide down.

I'm not talking IP based guide; they're really doing that now with Trio.  I'm talking about them phasing out QAM totally and going IPTV.

Also, sometime in June, Cox Tulsa will be enabling switched digital, is my understanding.  From BBR (broadbandreports)...and yes, I know this isn't official, but this poster has some reputation when it comes to this.

"Cox will be enabling SDV in Tulsa as of June 26th. About 41 SD channels are going SDV plus some sports PPV/subscription package channels. No HD channels are on the list."

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2013, 07:53:02 am »

I'm not talking IP based guide; they're really doing that now with Trio.  I'm talking about them phasing out QAM totally and going IPTV.

Also, sometime in June, Cox Tulsa will be enabling switched digital, is my understanding.  From BBR (broadbandreports)...and yes, I know this isn't official, but this poster has some reputation when it comes to this.

"Cox will be enabling SDV in Tulsa as of June 26th. About 41 SD channels are going SDV plus some sports PPV/subscription package channels. No HD channels are on the list."

Is it this?
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12291/index.html

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2013, 08:07:52 am »

I believe that is it..yes.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2013, 06:27:12 pm »

Our fun with Cox and Direct TV has finally run it's course.  For the last 5 years we have shopped services every Spring.  We typically call Cox and Direct TV and tell them that we are shopping, and they reward us with a year of free something.  For the last couple of years we have been given free HBO and Cinemax from Direct TV, and the medium bandwidth internet for the price of the standard bandwidth from COX.

uVerse has just informed us that they are available in our neighborhood and made us a deal that beats our "special" discounts from both companies with a lock on the price for two years.

This is an old thread, so I'd like to get everyone's opinion of uVerse today.  Are there any problems that we should be aware of before making the switch?

I know some who switched to Uverse and their monthly payments were significantly higher than the salesman told them. Tons of fees and taxes that the salesman conveniently neglected to mention.  In addition, the video and audio get out of sync pretty regularly. It's like watching Kung-fu movies. You also can't "channel surf" as the channel change times are very slow.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 02:28:48 pm »

He's right, only 2 years, and that's only if you are getting subsidized equipment or services.  Weatherdemon's story doesnt hold water.

Hell, it was 10 years ago. My bad on the date.
Doesn't change that reception sucked during anything but sunny or partly cloudy skies, they won't help without an additional service contract, and, at least at the time, you owned the equipment so if you wanted to upgrade, you were stuck with the old stuff.

You couldn't pay me $100/month to switch to DTV or Dish Network.

U-Verse will be back on the table once they get better coverage in my area.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 02:29:55 pm »

I know some who switched to Uverse and their monthly payments were significantly higher than the salesman told them. Tons of fees and taxes that the salesman conveniently neglected to mention.  In addition, the video and audio get out of sync pretty regularly. It's like watching Kung-fu movies. You also can't "channel surf" as the channel change times are very slow.

Very interesting.
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2013, 08:48:02 am »

Very interesting.

I'd have to agree with that.  I'm back to paying even a bit more than I was at Cox, with nothing more than what I already had.  Wasn't worth the change over, and it's a pain to change back.  I guess the good news is when I go I can get some $300 visa card or something (which NEVER came in the mail last time I went back to them!)  I wish I was better at the ROKU and the other options, I think I would get rid of cable and use that way more.  We are already mostly watching DVR'd shows, very little live TV. 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org