A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 05:51:40 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relocating to Tulsa  (Read 15366 times)
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 12:03:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure the "Low Crime" part of that has been refuted. In fact, according to most crime maps I've seen, crime seems pretty evenly spread out, with exception of pockets in North and (GASP!)South Tulsa.

And I'm not sure what you are referring to as "Less traffic congestion". South Tulsa and East Tulsa are the only two places where I've EVER encountered traffic congestion that wasn't due to road construction.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:06:27 pm by TURobY » Logged

---Robert
Gold
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 12:05:48 pm »

The Oral Roberts University Campus is an important contribution to Modernism in the United States.  I apologize for not having memorized the local architect's name because he is a significant architect. 

"Meet George Jetson . . ."
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 12:06:27 pm »

Anyway Eric, Good luck with your apartment search.  There is no place else like Tulsa.  I should know -- I'm Tulsa to the bone.

Via a 30 year stop-over in San Francisco while the rest of us were making Tulsa what it is today, but he's still a Tulsa native and we love him in spite of his incessant bishing about what Tulsa could be.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 12:08:59 pm »

South Tulsa has less traffic? Have you ever been to 71st Street? Or how about one of the many two-lane roads that are now main thoroughfares?

If anyone thinks traffic's a problem in downtown or midtown Tulsa, they should move to Mayberry.

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 12:16:35 pm »

South Tulsa has less traffic? Have you ever been to 71st Street? Or how about one of the many two-lane roads that are now main thoroughfares?

If anyone thinks traffic's a problem in downtown or midtown Tulsa, they should move to Mayberry.

Depending on how far South he lives 71st might be considered North to him Smiley
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 12:26:48 pm »

While I agree about the traffic on restaurant row and acknowledge that Memorial between 91st & 111th can be awful, I think the disconnect is what my idea of south Tulsa is. What I consider south Tulsa is basically south of 71st (I live near 111th & Sheridan), where Hometown's bigoted comment about the race demographic was directed.

Now most people that I talk with that have been here a while (me just 12 years) is that south Tulsa is what is south of I-44, which is essentially Skelly Drive.  If that's the case, that would make "south Tulsa" the largest area of this city.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 12:29:29 pm »

Depending on how far South he lives 71st might be considered North to him Smiley

Yep. See my post above. I live and work south of 71st, and my kids go to school on 81st. The only connection my family has to anywhere near midtown is that my wife works up there and on the rare occasion that I have to appear in court downtown.

Hometown
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 12:43:42 pm »

Via a 30 year stop-over in San Francisco while the rest of us were making Tulsa what it is today, but he's still a Tulsa native and we love him in spite of his incessant bishing about what Tulsa could be.

Yes, Tulsans are allowed to travel Conan.  I give you permission to drive to Joplin.

San Francisco, yes, a lovely town.  And you missed my second home town Dallas and failed to mention the three years I spent in New York.  Did I ever tell you about meeting one of the most important art critics of my generation while I was in New York -- Tulsan Walter Robinson.  Or the group of Tulsa Artists in Dallas that I met with to opine about what it meant to be from Tulsa, including Tulsa-native artists like Philip Lamb and Julie Kohn.  Or my Artwatch Compadre in San Francisco, Tulsan Linda Jordan.

When these kids here today tell me they want to put Tulsa on the map, I say, what are you talking about kids, Tulsa's been on the map for a long, long time.

And If I was you, I'm not sure I would carry on about spending my career here participating in and adding to Tulsa's decline.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:46:19 pm by Hometown » Logged
ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 01:19:54 pm »

ORU architect=Blaine Imel

Gold
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 09:30:03 am »

Yes, Tulsans are allowed to travel Conan.  I give you permission to drive to Joplin.

San Francisco, yes, a lovely town.  And you missed my second home town Dallas and failed to mention the three years I spent in New York.  Did I ever tell you about meeting one of the most important art critics of my generation while I was in New York -- Tulsan Walter Robinson.  Or the group of Tulsa Artists in Dallas that I met with to opine about what it meant to be from Tulsa, including Tulsa-native artists like Philip Lamb and Julie Kohn.  Or my Artwatch Compadre in San Francisco, Tulsan Linda Jordan.

When these kids here today tell me they want to put Tulsa on the map, I say, what are you talking about kids, Tulsa's been on the map for a long, long time.

And If I was you, I'm not sure I would carry on about spending my career here participating in and adding to Tulsa's decline.

Unintentional fail.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 10:08:13 am »

Hey SXSW if you are still around I wanted to say that you have authored some of the most insightful remarks about Tulsa I've seen here at TulsaNow.  Thank you.  I know this will be a surprise to you but I was also delighted when you returned after your lengthy absence.

Thanks, I have lived in Tulsa on and off for the past several years and my absence was during an 'off' time when I was in Denver.  I'm in OKC now so close enough to get a feel for what's going on but still far enough to not know everything which is why I like this forum.  I may be in Portland next, or possibly Denver again, but then hopefully back to Tulsa permanently.  I work in design/construction (and currently also getting a master's degree at OU) so I have to go where the work is..

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 10:26:49 am »

South Tulsa conversely is generally White and Republican, WITH VERY LOW CRIME, BETTER SCHOOLS, LESS TRAFFIC CONGESTION, BETTER SHOPPING, AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, YOU COULD WIND UP LIVING NEAR ME.

You can get to Catoosa via the Creek Turnpike.
Having recently moved from south tulsa to midtown, I think I'm qualified to say that you're full of it. The only thing south tulsa has over midtown is larger sfh lot sizes. (and possibly schools, I don't know about that..I don't have kids and plan to keep it that way)

Traffic is decidedly better up here on the surface streets. That may be due to the abundance of 4 lane streets, which much of south tulsa is lacking.

And don't even consider driving from south tulsa to catoosa, it takes nearly half an hour from memorial. (I know, I've driven the creek a hundred times on my way to Arkansas) How long it takes from my place at 15th & Harvard is dependent on traffic, although even at 5 o'clock I haven't had it take more than about 15 minutes. Much more frustrating driving, though.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 10:54:33 am »

Having recently moved from south tulsa to midtown, I think I'm qualified to say that you're full of it. The only thing south tulsa has over midtown is larger sfh lot sizes. (and possibly schools, I don't know about that..I don't have kids and plan to keep it that way)

Traffic is decidedly better up here on the surface streets. That may be due to the abundance of 4 lane streets, which much of south tulsa is lacking.

And don't even consider driving from south tulsa to catoosa, it takes nearly half an hour from memorial. (I know, I've driven the creek a hundred times on my way to Arkansas) How long it takes from my place at 15th & Harvard is dependent on traffic, although even at 5 o'clock I haven't had it take more than about 15 minutes. Much more frustrating driving, though.

I'd also add the S. Tulsa hills, or the ones around 71st/81st & Yale/Harvard.  Love that area because of the hills, trees, and actually pretty varied architectural styles within the neighborhoods.  It's also the area where I grew up.  In midtown 21st St. can be a pain at times, also Yale seems to back up pretty easily as you get closer to I-44.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 11:01:25 am »

Who woulda guessed you are a white republican. So that part of "south Tulsa" where I live has more crime and more traffic than midtown. Wow. With that bold statement, I am glad you've moved. The collective intelligence in the area where you used to live just improved.

Hometown
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 11:13:07 am »

Thanks, I have lived in Tulsa on and off for the past several years and my absence was during an 'off' time when I was in Denver.  I'm in OKC now so close enough to get a feel for what's going on but still far enough to not know everything which is why I like this forum.  I may be in Portland next, or possibly Denver again, but then hopefully back to Tulsa permanently.  I work in design/construction (and currently also getting a master's degree at OU) so I have to go where the work is..

SXSW, Your post reminds me that Denver recently restored/refurbished their dilapidated civic center.  When we were discussing the future of our civic center here I cited Denver as an example of a city that was improving their aging civic center.  There is actually a public service organization that promotes the importance of civic centers and public spaces and I have been considering inviting their president to come and stay with us here in Tulsa and comment on the future of our civic center.  I imagine you might have something to say along these lines though I don't know that you and I would be in agreement.  I believe our civic center is a mid-century Modern classic and that the loss of it, or diminishing of it through bad remodeling, would be comparable to tearing down the Philtower and the Philcade buildings.

And in regards to South Tulsa, my niece and her husband and child live in Bixby.  When I visit I see a majority of young families with children that I wish were here in middle-aged to older mid-town.  I love the way everything is new and shiny and when we went to one of the pumpkin patches in Bixby I saw a scene of total charm and innocence.  Bixby looks to be the perfect place to raise children.  I absolutely understand why young families want to be there.  It's about good schools and safety for their children.  The more I contemplate Tulsa the more I believe that investing in our public schools is the perfect choice for a family-orientated town like Tulsa.  It would pay many dividends if Tulsa could say again that her public schools were famous for their quality, like they were when I was growing up here.

Eric, I apologize for straying off topic.  When you are making your apartment search you should also look around the 18th and Boston area and the Riverview neighborhood between Denver Ave. and the Arkansas River.  Both neighborhoods have beautiful older construction close in to downtown and are home to a wonderful mix of professionals and workers and young people with a good selection of entertainment and parks and trails close by.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org