A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 05:42:37 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relocating to Tulsa  (Read 15352 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2009, 11:40:19 am »

Who woulda guessed you are a white republican. So that part of "south Tulsa" where I live has more crime and more traffic than midtown. Wow. With that bold statement, I am glad you've moved. The collective intelligence in the area where you used to live just improved.
I wasn't talking about where you live, I was talking about where I lived. Where I lived, the crime statistics were very similar to what they are here. And there's definitely less traffic. I never have to wait through two cycles of a light like I regularly did at 101st and memorial and 91st and sheridan.

Maybe things are different up there on top of the hill practically in bixby.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
USRufnex
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 01:25:01 pm »

My price range is negotiable. I'm looking for just a 1-bedroom and I mean, I can't afford something that's 1-grand a month, but I can probably go as high as $700 or so. Of course, if I can find a good place at $450 or a "great" place at $750, I'd rather take the cheaper option.

The "hipper" the neighborhood the better, but it's not a necessity either. I'm perfectly content living in a quiet, family-orientated area, too. Either way, I'd definitely prefer living in the city, as opposed to the suburbs. I've also found things in BA and Catoosa, as well, but they're more of fall-back options as I find the city life more appealing.

I would definitely recommend doing a 6 mo or 7 mo lease on one of those run-of-the-mill one bdr apts around Cherry Street (S. 15th St. between Peoria and Utica).  The area is about as old school "hip" as Tulsa gets, it's walkable to a little area of pubs and cool stuff, and you can try it out to see if the commute to/from Catoosa is reasonable for you.... and you can check out all the neighborhoods within a mile or two of there... Swan Lake, Mapleridge, Brookside, Florence Park, etc, etc....

It's really a matter of how much you're willing to put up with... folks keep trying to turn Brady Heights into a "hip" area, but it hasn't really taken off... I like Owen Park, but I'm spoiled by my short commute to work in east Tulsa and Owen Park's a little too far west for me these days... Kendall-Whittier is okay, some nice, older  bungalow-style homes... I wouldn't try any apts directly off I-244 until living here for at least 6 mos... IMHO, most of the "Pearl District" is a pipe-dream, as most older homes are too far gone to rehab, and property crime and the meth problems are too much for most of us...

Downtown is ready to take off residentially, but Cherry Street is a nice, reasonably safe and hip area just outside of downtown for you to base yourself out of until you figure out what you like best... and a one bdr there should be well within your price range.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:28:38 pm by USRufnex » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 01:31:25 pm »

Having recently moved from south tulsa to midtown, I think I'm qualified to say that you're full of it. The only thing south tulsa has over midtown is larger sfh lot sizes. (and possibly schools, I don't know about that..I don't have kids and plan to keep it that way)

Traffic is decidedly better up here on the surface streets. That may be due to the abundance of 4 lane streets, which much of south tulsa is lacking.

And don't even consider driving from south tulsa to catoosa, it takes nearly half an hour from memorial. (I know, I've driven the creek a hundred times on my way to Arkansas) How long it takes from my place at 15th & Harvard is dependent on traffic, although even at 5 o'clock I haven't had it take more than about 15 minutes. Much more frustrating driving, though.

I didn't know you lived that close to my 'hood.  Tshane and TURobY also are in the area.  I gotta admit, my commute up 15th St. from the BA every evening is far better than heading south on Yale off the Creek at 5pm any day.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 02:06:02 pm »

I didn't know you lived that close to my 'hood.  Tshane and TURobY also are in the area.  I gotta admit, my commute up 15th St. from the BA every evening is far better than heading south on Yale off the Creek at 5pm any day.
Beats the hell out of inteller being the closest forum regular.  Grin

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 09:42:43 am »

There are some nice apartments at 93rd & Memorial (across from the big library) I think they are called "Sun Chase" (or Sun something Apartments).. They are nice looking apartments but I guess crime is bad there, the cops are there quite a bit, It's a huge complex and I believe they welcome section 8. However they may as good as any, you'll never find an apartment complex 100% safe since they are full of all kinds of people. This complex is near the freeway and good shopping. Lips sealed
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 09:50:48 am by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2009, 09:50:00 am »

Beats the hell out of inteller being the closest forum regular.  Grin

He's mine.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
tshane250
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009, 09:52:44 am »

Wow, there's quite a cluster of us at 15th and Harvard.  And speaking of traffic, it isn't at all bad in Midtown, except maybe the stretch of 21st between Lewis and Utica - you know there's a traffic light every 20 feet and nothing moves, but other than that, it's all good. 
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 02:11:48 pm »

There are some nice apartments at 93rd & Memorial (across from the big library) I think they are called "Sun Ridge" (or Sun something Apartments).. They are nice looking apartments but I guess crime is bad there, the cops are there quite a bit, It's a huge complex and I believe they welcome section 8. However they may as good as any, you'll never find an apartment complex 100% safe since they are full of all kinds of people. This complex is near the freeway and good shopping. Lips sealed
There are much better places in that part of town than that POS meth lab haven.

Edited to add: I'd take 21st between lewis and utica any day of the week over memorial between 81st and 111th.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 02:21:13 pm »

There are some nice apartments at 93rd & Memorial (across from the big library) I think they are called "Sun Ridge" (or Sun something Apartments).. They are nice looking apartments but I guess crime is bad there, the cops are there quite a bit, It's a huge complex and I believe they welcome section 8. However they may as good as any, you'll never find an apartment complex 100% safe since they are full of all kinds of people. This complex is near the freeway and good shopping. Lips sealed

Once again, shows how long it's been since you even spent ANY time in this town.  I lived in those apartments from 1989-1991 after I got married and before I moved to Texas.  They were nice then, but they were also the only thing out there save for the new Wal-Mart, a Phillips 66, Homeland and Texaco station, all on the corner.  Now it's very crowded there and not surprising they take section 8, because that place is a sh!#hole now.  I wouldn't set foot in there with at least a .45.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2009, 11:01:47 am »

I'd take 21st between lewis and utica any day of the week over memorial between 81st and 111th.

You might as well make that 121st.  It will be really great (not) when the 6 lane turns into 4 lane at 111th. Bixby should have taken the opportunity to 6 lane Memorial all the way to the river at a minimum.

joiei
City Father

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2009, 04:58:12 pm »

Have you considered looking at garage apartments in the Swan Lake - Cherry Street area?

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2009, 02:07:56 pm »

You might as well make that 121st.  It will be really great (not) when the 6 lane turns into 4 lane at 111th. Bixby should have taken the opportunity to 6 lane Memorial all the way to the river at a minimum.

You nailed that one.

ericwbolin
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 03:28:40 pm »

Thanks for all the tips. I may have found a place. It's near Woodland Hills Mall.

Does anybody know what my commute would be like to Catoosa? I know rush-hour traffic can be harsh, but have no idea if it would an extra 15-20 minutes every morning/evening, or more like 45 minutes to an hour. Any ideas? Thanks again for all the feedback.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2009, 03:48:04 pm »

169 to 44 East.

Man you sure picked a quiet, low traffic area to live.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 04:45:59 pm »

I'd say add 20 minutes each way.  The freeways should be alright, but the surface street in that area are packed.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org