A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 05:53:29 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Local Float  (Read 13589 times)
waterboy
« on: May 20, 2009, 09:58:35 am »

I conducted my first Arkansas River tour of the season, by canoe, this past Sunday afternoon. We left Sand Springs and arrived in Tulsa a little over two hours later. The water was a little high (27,000cfs and 7ft at the 11th street gauge) so the paddling was easy and we never dragged bottom. Shortly after departing, we saw a juvenile Bald Eagle swoop in front of us and pluck a fish out of the river. We saw the Blue Herons nesting in odd places, the least terns struggling to find islands to nest on and of course some really big fish rolling around.  The skyline viewed from that part of the river is gorgeous.  Evening is even better as the sun reflects off the buildings and the Martins and Swallows swirl through the air. You can now see the new Arena in the foreground. After stopping on an island, we crossed the mild rapids near Newblock Park and floated under the bridges and into the port where the new restaurant will be built at 19th street.

The cost for this trip is $50 per person and I provide all equipment, drinking water and descriptions of the river and its history (but I will shut up on command). The other tour starts at the Keystone Dam and takes another hour or so. The river is quite different that far upstream. The cost is $75 per person for that one.

At this time, I can accommodate two passengers in the 16ft aluminum canoe and one more in an inflatable kayak or sit on top kayak. If anyone would like to experience this part of the river before it is dammed up and changed forever, pm me or e-mail me. This is a truly unique adventure not being offered to the general public.

Waterboy
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:02:03 am by waterboy » Logged
waterboy
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:31:24 pm »

I will also do floats of the lower river, Tulsa from below Zink Lake to Jenks. The area is more urban than the Sand Springs tour but also has some great views around Turkey Mountain. It is also flatter and slower so more water is required to keep from having to portage your craft.

Also, does anyone know of a good digital camera or digital video camera for outdoors use? I have had difficulty being able to see the screen on my Kodak under full sun. It also is difficult to use the viewfinder so something with a cup to shield the sun. Best combination would be field binoculars with a digital capture but I am told they are unreliable as of yet.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 07:39:47 pm »

I will definately take you up on this offer. I need to gather up some cash, but how long will this offer be good for?

---Robert
waterboy
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 09:22:01 pm »

As long as people want to do them. Last year I kayaked well into November. Gets a little too chilly after that, though a Christmas or New Years trip might be nice. Cool Look forward to hearing from you.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 10:23:39 pm »

I'm all over this....Thank You.....

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 07:02:27 am »

I look like the skipper, want to be the professor, but act like gilligan. You don't want me in your boat.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Wilbur
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 07:58:42 am »

That's a cool idea..... and certainly makes sense.  I've never thought of canoeing the Arkansas in the Tulsa area.  Why on Earth do I drive to the Illinois?
waterboy
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 08:45:06 am »

That's a cool idea..... and certainly makes sense.  I've never thought of canoeing the Arkansas in the Tulsa area.  Why on Earth do I drive to the Illinois?

I like the Illinois too. Have been going there since I was Fruit Loop size. Their personalities are similar but the size of the Arkansas and its solitude make for a different experience.
waterboy
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 11:46:58 am »

I promise not to do this each trip. But since I described the SS to Tulsa trip thought you might like to hear about the Keystone Dam to SS trip.

Memorial Weekend trip Saturday 5/23/09 (from Waterboy’s perspective)-

“You’re a lot braver than I am!” shouted a large fisherman with tattoos surrounded by his buddies camped along our Swiftwater Park departure point. He was looking at the canoe, my inflatable kayak, water rumbling past us at a good clip (45,000 cfs at that time) and my modified city boy demeanor. “Either that or you’re smarter than me,” I answered. He was more concerned with the speed and depth of the river than I was but the river is not to be disrespected. It simply looks scarier than it is. My standard reply is two-fold, be sure and tell the press that I was sober and fearless, and, no matter what happens, with this current it’s likely I’ll still accomplish my mission and end up in Tulsa in one form or another.

My fellow TN floaters, JtCrissup and his buddy, loaded into the canoe quickly. They were skeptical of its wiggle upon sitting down.  Just like the river, the canoe’s tippiness is counter-intuitive. If it feels shaky when you first get in that’s a good thing. Primary stability is not as important as secondary stability. If it feels stable when you first step in, it most likely will not have much control when you’re in a tricky situation in rapids or fast water. They soon became adjusted to its manners and were able to take in the breadth and beauty of this part of the river.

We passed beneath bluffs, high hills on both sides and some fierce sounding rapids that the guys weren’t ready for yet. We bypassed them and soon emerged into one of the prettiest landscapes of the whole river. It is the delta created from the entrance of Shell Creek into the Arkansas. It’s a postcard vista pockmarked with little streams and ponds that appear and disappear with the fluctuation of the river. At low river levels these wetlands are favorites of the pelicans, herons and four legged creatures, but alas, today they are hiding. The “living river” concept in the last failed bond issue would have been a re-creation of this part of the river.

This is the area along hwy64 that the road rises above the river and you have a great view of the valley below. In fact an old lookout on the highway still exists, though closed because of the crumbling shale beneath it. From our perspective we saw old Wekiwa road at near water level, highway 64 on a second level and the limestone hills rising above them all. Good place to rest.

Most people are struck with the solitary nature of being on this part of the river, the feeling that you have it all to yourself. Jake and Andy were no exception. It is both exhilarating and a bit scary as I tell them from this point on, should you drop your cell phone in the river, you have no safety net. There are few connections with civilization, no security personnel, no readily available rescue squads and no one else to hear you yell for help. I adore this feeling. Only your wife and friends know what you’re doing and they all think you’re crazy. On the plus side, indeed, the river is yours for a few hours. A few fishermen may be around but they mostly remind you of Deliverance.

The second leg was from Sand Springs Park to Chandler Park. Competition for prettiest view of the river is halfway through this leg where you get the skyline nestled between Chandler Park on river right and islands to river left. We saw storm clouds massing up to our right so we hustled. By the time we hit the refinery island to recharge, the trip was almost over. We noted the increased activity of the Least Terns as they anxiously searched for nesting spots. After passing by Waterworks/Newblock and under the bridges (I love it when the train is going over at the same time) we angled to the right to enjoy the increasing speed of the river as it passes between the Least Tern islands and the shoreline by Westport. It is a sort of Venturi effect that you can paddle into and get a little boost.  The geese like it too.  We beat the rain to 19th street. Total time at this level was 3 1/2 hours. These guys seemed a lot fresher at the end than I did.  I may have to charge more for this distance!
jtcrissup
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 07:03:17 am »

GREAT TRIP!!  What a memorable Memorial Day experience.  My buddy (visiting from Austin) and I had a great time on it.  Waterboy's account is right on...the canoe was a little shaky at first (I figured it was because I was used to more "flat bottom" type of canoe and this one had more of a "v-shape" hull...which leads to a more efficient ride, so not all bad).  We had a few "whoa" moments during the trip, but only had water come into the boat once, and it was a VERY small amount (more probably came in from my sneakers when putting in from the bank).  I enjoyed both "segments" of the river as the first part (Keystone to SS) is very scenic with bluffs and rolling hills and the second segment (SS to Riverparks) lended amazing views of the DT skyline.  I got a few great pics of the downtown skyline, which I hope to upload later this week.  Waterboy knows a TON about the river and has been in it under all kinds of conditions from his Airboat tour days, and we enjoyed all that he had to tell.  My favorite is his interpretation on the origin of our city's name...I won't spoil it for him though, as I know he enjoys telling the story, and it is more suitable for "on the river" vs "on the posting board".

I would recommend this trip to anyone who is looking for a good adventure...especially while the water is UP as it made for a pretty relaxing trip in terms of how much you have to paddle.  My legs and lower back were a little sore from sitting in the same position for 3.5 hours, but my shoulders were suprisingly in no pain at all (and I have bad shoulders...surgery in one and arthritis in the other).  The few island stops were also nice as it gave a chance to get a little deeper into the cooler... 

All in all, we both had a blast and I hope to do it again soon (plan to look into getting a kayak for myself), introducing others to this before the "secret" is out to Tulsan's (well, that might take a generation or two to un-do the negative attitude's of Tulsan's about our River, but their loss is our gain as it is nice to have the place to yourself).  Everyone I told I was doing it was intrigued, but most thought I was crazy for doing it with snide remarks about gaining extra toes, etc.  To be honest, the river is clean (from a manmade pollution standpoint...especially at the high flow rates) and the ONLY industry you see is the Refinery (Holly) which accounts for about 10 of the last 30 minutes of the trip, so no big deal.  I hope others on TN give it a try as well...hurry cause it sounds like waterboy is re-structuring the payment!!   
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 10:42:43 am »

Sounds amazing, please do post the pics from your trip.

I am thinking about getting a 'sea' kayak for the lake, where is a good place in Tulsa to get one? 

waterboy
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 12:39:52 pm »

I'm not happy with the selection at Sports Authority, Academy or BoatersWorld. Best selection is online, but there is a guy in OKC who attended our boat show. Look him up on the OKC Craigslist. Search under kayaks.

You want something long and narrow on a lake so you can move faster. The shorter ones are better on rivers and rapids. Also, don't get too hung up on exotic brand names and designs. Its way overkill for Oklahoma waters.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 04:01:07 pm »

I think Boater's World is liquidated and closed.  They were owned by the same company that owned Wolf Camera.  I would imagine West Marine has about the same selection as Academy or Sports Authority.  If you are new to it, I'd just suggest you buy something stable.  Or if you want to try something completely different, do the learn to row program at Tulsa Rowing Club.  There's still space in the July and August classes.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jtcrissup
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 10:23:58 am »

Best two pics from the canoe trip on Memorial Day Weekend...getting the camera out/ready was kind of a pain...has anyone else taken waterboy up on his offer?  I am guessing the flow is so low right now (not to mention the heat) that it would be more work than fun...but could be cool first thing in the morning leaving from the dam and getting out in Sand Springs...

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 10:38:07 am »

The flow actually seems pretty good.

The Aamco at 41st and Harvard has a poster from a 1984 float.  The "KRMG Great Raft Race 13."  Which is what I imagine people were referring to above.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org