A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 04:32:18 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Local Float  (Read 13580 times)
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 11:06:59 am »

The flow actually seems pretty good.

The Aamco at 41st and Harvard has a poster from a 1984 float.  The "KRMG Great Raft Race 13."  Which is what I imagine people were referring to above.

I remember going to the great raft race... That was fun.
waterboy
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 05:56:23 am »

Thanks for the pics Jt. The flow is pretty good for such a dry period. There are more islands and sand bars then when you went and yes, a little more paddling effort. Always cooler near the water. Alas, no more TN posters have signed up.

ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 03:49:33 pm »

A good local float is the Lower Illinois River below Tenkiller Lake...cold moving water, cold CLEAR moving water with real live Trout living in it! Cold, no skeeters!

waterboy
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 04:09:04 pm »

It is amazing how chicken poop and recycled beer show up clear in a stream like that. You should take a few big gulps of that cold clear water. Seriously, they use sand to filter water, not rocks.

edit: btw, the huge population of birds, including Purple Martins, keeps the bug population real low on the river. One of the surprises for me was the absence of wildlife visible along the Illinois compared with the Arkansas. I always see a lot of birds on the Arkansas, including Pelicans, Eagles, Kingfishers and a variety egrets, geese and terns. Too many people along the Illinois I guess.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:07:10 pm by waterboy » Logged
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 04:42:21 pm »

Thanks for the pics Jt. The flow is pretty good for such a dry period. There are more islands and sand bars then when you went and yes, a little more paddling effort. Always cooler near the water. Alas, no more TN posters have signed up.

I'd do it if I'd ever been in a canoe. Doesn't seem like a wise place to start, though. I'd have to get a good lanyard and a waterproof shell for my camera.  Cool

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
waterboy
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 05:00:56 pm »

I'd do it if I'd ever been in a canoe. Doesn't seem like a wise place to start, though. I'd have to get a good lanyard and a waterproof shell for my camera.  Cool

I think its a good place to start. The river starts fairly narrow below the Dam and widens out as it continues. The flows, especially in the summer, are slow and the rapids are tame but totally avoidable if you don't want to try them. The water is shallow (late summer you'll likely walk some just like the Illinois) and you can always easily float to a sand bar or the bank if you do tump over. It is a river though, not a narrow little stream and it must be treated with respect. I always wear my pfd rather than sit on it.

Of course, even experienced folks turn their craft over, but the only time its happened on a tour I conducted was when my 20 year old son got over confident and turned his small kayak 180 degrees and the current caught him off balance. We floated over to the bank and noted how cold that water was! Waterproofing your camera is always wise on the water.

I'll take care of you. Smiley

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 08:19:56 pm »

I'll take care of you. Smiley
Hmm, I'll have to take you up on it sometime when it's not going to be a hundred degrees out.  Grin

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 11:06:33 pm »

It is amazing how chicken poop and recycled beer show up clear in a stream like that. You should take a few big gulps of that cold clear water. Seriously, they use sand to filter water, not rocks.

edit: btw, the huge population of birds, including Purple Martins, keeps the bug population real low on the river. One of the surprises for me was the absence of wildlife visible along the Illinois compared with the Arkansas. I always see a lot of birds on the Arkansas, including Pelicans, Eagles, Kingfishers and a variety egrets, geese and terns. Too many people along the Illinois I guess.

Get up early enough and there's coons and foxes to be seen between 11th and the pedestrian bridge at 31st.  Early morning is an interesting time to be on the Arkansas.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 06:14:13 am »

Get up early enough and there's coons and foxes to be seen between 11th and the pedestrian bridge at 31st.  Early morning is an interesting time to be on the Arkansas.

Same can be said for about anywhere in the city.
waterboy
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 07:04:24 am »

My strangest encounter with wildlife was walking out my front door at dusk and coming within a couple feet of a Opossum.
At first I thought it was a strange looking gray hairless dog with a really long nose. He kept staring at me as though it was the first time to see my species too. I think he had been spending some time beneath my sunroom which was driving my dog nuts.

ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 08:51:04 am »

LOWER Illinois River. LOWER; few people on this section.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 08:54:28 am by ARGUS » Logged

Patrick
Activist

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 09:44:10 am »

Hey Waterboy - just FYI that I sent you a private message.  Let me know if you don't get it.  Thanks!
waterboy
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2009, 07:13:40 am »

Friday was one of the most memorable floats I've ever had on the river. The weather was perfect, the water level was perfect and it was an adventure. Thanks to Patrick and his wife for good company, good cheer, and a good attitude!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 07:37:53 am »

Friday was one of the most memorable floats I've ever had on the river. The weather was perfect, the water level was perfect and it was an adventure. Thanks to Patrick and his wife for good company, good cheer, and a good attitude!

Can we expect a trip report?  And maybe some pics?   Smiley

waterboy
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 07:51:43 am »

I'm at work now, so I can't upload my summary or pics but maybe Patrick can do his. Suffice it to say, some of the locals added a little excitement to the tour. Also, going backwards through rapids,though unorthodox, makes one laugh out loud. We didn't see much wildlife, only a few hawks, an eagle, herons and egrets. I did see two very large Turkey Buzzards when I went back to get my truck. Handsome little devils.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org