A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 06:13:47 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mayoral Election Survey  (Read 7466 times)
Wilbur
« on: May 29, 2009, 12:59:50 pm »

Received an automated survey today on my home phone regarding the next Tulsa Mayoral election and positive or negative feelings about four city councilors, plus the Mayor.  I assume, based on the questions, that this is a Kathy Taylor survey, since it asked how I would vote based on her running against Christiansan, Martinson, Westcot and Eagleton.

Would love to know the results.
rwarn17588
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 01:46:54 pm »

Received an automated survey today on my home phone regarding the next Tulsa Mayoral election and positive or negative feelings about four city councilors, plus the Mayor.  I assume, based on the questions, that this is a Kathy Taylor survey, since it asked how I would vote based on her running against Christiansan, Martinson, Westcot and Eagleton.

Would love to know the results.

It's not going to matter much if the Republicans don't field a viable candidate. They haven't so far.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 04:02:47 pm »

It is paid for by republican party pollsters trying to see who they can convince to run against her. My wife and I have both been polled. They asked about those four councilors and a few other names, including Congressmen Sullivan.

When it happens, ask them who they work for and who is paying for it. They are supposed to tell you, although it still takes a little research to figure out who is involved.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 04:49:02 pm »

I guess they didn't think Clay Clark could cut it?  Undecided

---Robert
Wilbur
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 06:32:18 pm »

It is paid for by republican party pollsters trying to see who they can convince to run against her. My wife and I have both been polled. They asked about those four councilors and a few other names, including Congressmen Sullivan.

When it happens, ask them who they work for and who is paying for it. They are supposed to tell you, although it still takes a little research to figure out who is involved.

You must have taken a different poll then I did.  There were no questions about Sullivan in the poll I took and there was no live person to talk with.  It was a taped/computer poll.
Jitter Free
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 06:50:48 pm »

There are/were two polls.

One back in Februry or so conducted by the local GOP and included City Councilors Rick Westcott, Bill Martinson, Bill Christiansen and John Eagleton, Okahoma Senator James Williamson, U.S. Representative John Sullivan, Michael Covey of the South Tulsa Citizen Coalition, and I think former Governer candidate Bob Sullivan.  I might be wrong on the last one and there might have been more candidates included in the poll.  Age is catching up with me and I can't remember.  This one was a live person and they asked a lot of questions.  They asked about the Great Plains settlement, the ball park and a lot of other things that again I can't remember.

There is one going around right now with only City Councilors Rick Westcott, Bill Martinson, Bill Christiansen and John Eagleton as candidates.  It is not a live person and is pretty short. 

BierGarten
Activist

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 06:54:39 am »

This is more of a gut feeling than anything else but my guess is that no one is trying to convince anyone to run -- but rather -- those four councilors are together trying to figure out which one of them is most viable, that person will run, and the other three will put all of their support behind that one.  At this point I think they are willing to work together, and support "the one".  I have heard Eagleton say that he believes the only way to beat Taylor is to have a unified Tulsa Republican party behind the Republican nominee (no infighting), whoever it is, to relay the message that Taylor is bad for Tulsa, and to have a majority of the electorate believe it.

rwarn17588
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 10:01:30 am »

This is more of a gut feeling than anything else but my guess is that no one is trying to convince anyone to run -- but rather -- those four councilors are together trying to figure out which one of them is most viable, that person will run, and the other three will put all of their support behind that one.  At this point I think they are willing to work together, and support "the one".  I have heard Eagleton say that he believes the only way to beat Taylor is to have a unified Tulsa Republican party behind the Republican nominee (no infighting), whoever it is, to relay the message that Taylor is bad for Tulsa, and to have a majority of the electorate believe it.

This is the same Tom Eagleton who said yesterday that he wasn't being paid enough as a city councilor -- during the middle of a recession and a city budget crunch.

And good luck finding a united political party for anything -- especially a party that has pretty much lost its way in recent years.

Honestly, does anyone think that any of the city councilors are truly viable mayoral candidates against the mayor? I don't. The GOP is going to have to get someone who isn't already up to their necks in any controversial city-council decisions that Republicans don't like. Who that is, or what that is, I'm not sure exists.
BierGarten
Activist

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 12:16:29 pm »

This is the same Tom Eagleton who said yesterday that he wasn't being paid enough as a city councilor -- during the middle of a recession and a city budget crunch.  Nope.  His name is John and he is the city councilor that isn't taking an approximate $600 voluntary salary cut during the recessionary times in which our mayor buys a City Hall Tulsa can't afford, increases her staff while cutting other city services and taxes already strugling downtown landowners in order to build a baseball stadium (important stuff during these recessionary times).

And good luck finding a united political party for anything -- especially a party that has pretty much lost its way in recent years.  Thanks.

Honestly, does anyone think that any of the city councilors are truly viable mayoral candidates against the mayor? I don't. The GOP is going to have to get someone who isn't already up to their necks in any controversial city-council decisions that Republicans don't like. Who that is, or what that is, I'm not sure exists. Well, our current Mayor will very likely win against any of them if that's what you mean. But the inevitable doesn't make the arguments against voting for her any less viable. 

rwarn17588
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 12:45:58 pm »

But the inevitable doesn't make the arguments against voting for her any less viable. 

The arguments in voting against her are moot unless you get someone who is better than her. So far, I don't see any indications that any of the prospective candidates are.

And you'd better have someone who's really good, if you're going to run against an incumbent whose favorability rating has been hovering around 60 percent for a couple of years. Kathy Taylor isn't a case of another Bill LaFortune here.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 12:47:56 pm by rwarn17588 » Logged
Wilbur
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 01:16:44 pm »

Quote from: rwarn17588 on Today at 11:01:30 am
This is the same Tom Eagleton who said yesterday that he wasn't being paid enough as a city councilor -- during the middle of a recession and a city budget crunch.  Nope.  His name is John and he is the city councilor that isn't taking an approximate $600 voluntary salary cut during the recessionary times in which our mayor buys a City Hall Tulsa can't afford, increases her staff while cutting other city services and taxes already strugling downtown landowners in order to build a baseball stadium (important stuff during these recessionary times).
You mean the rest of us city employees can claim the same thing for the same reason and refuse our current 3.1% salary cut?  I say current, because same employees will be taking pay cuts that affect the rest of their lives.  Too bad our leaders don't see this.

I like leaders who lead by example.  Apparently he's not choosing to be an example.
BierGarten
Activist

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 01:35:15 pm »

I like leaders who lead by example.  Apparently he's not choosing to be an example.

Or perhaps to the contrary.  Perhaps he thinks the furloughs (paycuts) are a stupid idea (they are) and is leading by example.  By the way, a Tulsa city councilor makes approximately $18K a year.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 05:48:21 pm »

I think city councilors should be paid whatever the median household income is for Tulsans. That way they are no better and no worse off than the average citizen they represent. That would pay them around $38,000 a year.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Wilbur
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 06:12:12 am »

Or perhaps to the contrary.  Perhaps he thinks the furloughs (paycuts) are a stupid idea (they are) and is leading by example.

Excellent point.  I'll be counting on his vote!
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 09:52:55 am »

His name is John and he is the city councilor that isn't taking an approximate $600 voluntary salary cut

$600 when we ignore things we could be doing that could save millions?
Sounds like a publicity stunt.

We have to let loose of some sacred cows.   

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org