A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 09:49:33 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bathtub Reglazing  (Read 20005 times)
jne
Philanthropist

« on: June 02, 2009, 01:22:46 pm »

Anybody know who to call to get a bathtub refinished?  Whats it cost? I also need a little tile repair.  It would be great if the same folks could do both.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 01:38:55 pm »

JNE, either wait for Conan to post in here or PM him.  He just did all the research on this.  I do not recall the specifics, but he is doing an entire home remodel and re-glazing the bath tub was too expensive.  So that's a good hint . . .

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 02:09:13 pm »

My neighbors had a clawfoot tub glazed and it was less than $300.

Just how big an ole boy is Conan and how big is his tub? Maybe he priced out the swimming pool?
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 02:24:35 pm »

I've heard stories of a couple hundred bucks for the bath and wall tile to 450 for just the tub.  I just need the tub done, the wall tile is great.  My floor tile has a spot that needs a little TLC. We're trying to decide if we want something different (just redo the whole floor) or try to have the patch matched and repaired.  As I was house shopping, I saw plenty of jobs that looked great.  Somehow when I start asking questions about who did the glazing, everyone gets amnesia....  [Paging Conan to the internets]

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 02:28:15 pm »

Just spray paint it  Roll Eyes
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 02:51:38 pm »

Here's my quandry:

I wanted to keep as much of what was still original in my Lortondale home original.  I also am sort of freaky about materials.  I have an issue about plastics or fiberglass in the bath or bath enclosure.  Someone had torn out all the old tile and replaced it with one of those five-piece FRP crappy enclosures (yes, that's duct tape, or chrome as they call it in Arkansas).  

Finding an honest-to-God castiron glazed tub is time consuming and to replace it can be expensive.  I had a quote from the national chain that re-lines tubs and does entire bathrooms.  The convenience of having it done in one day was tempting.  The price and the thought of plastic under foot or hand didn't work for me.  Nice people and I've heard good things about their products, just not what I wanted in the end.

Moving along... I found a reciept from where the tub had been re-glazed in 1995.  The glazing was coming off in places, and appears to be nothing more than an epoxy coating.  I don't see anything which indicates that it was a schlock job when it was done, it simply was not maintained properly.  Things like having hot sex in the shower while wearing golf spikes will do that to a tub finish.

Aside from being a blowhard and legend in my own mind, I think of myself as somewhat of a renaissance man as well.  I can do many things, none of them particularly well, but I can do them anyhow.  I've restored cars and motorcycles, why would a bathtub refinish be any different?  Wink

I just had all new bath tile and tile wainscoting installed.  I didn't have the time or patience to do my own tile right, that was something better off paid for.  I figured I'd refinish the tub after guys were finished walking in it with grout on their shoes.  I'm presently stripping the rest of the 1995 "glaze" job off and I'm going to try a spray epoxy which is specific for this purpose that I picked up at Lowe's for $40.  The real trick appears to be careful surface prep (sand it good and get ALL the dust out) and not applying coats too heavily.

I'll spend probably 10 minutes carefully masking everything and will have about 3-4 hours in prep.  If I'm happy with the results, I can be proud, if I'm not, I'll call the pros and pretend I never did it.

http://surfacesolutionsofoklahoma.com/tubs_and_sinks.html

(I notice these guys also do stained concrete)

Here's the DIY solution

http://www.refinishingonline.com/diy.htm

Just in case anyone is thinking of doing stained concrete in their home, I've worked with Vancrete on this project for the common hall, kitchen, dining back hall/bath.  Good people and reasonible.  They will do turn-key and will support total or partial DIY.  I had them float the floor, I'll do the staining and sealing.  I'd also recommend Mill Creek if anyone is considering cork or bamboo flooring.  I went with cork in the bedrooms and living room.

Sorry for the long dissertation, it takes me 10 minutes to describe a 5 minute trip to the store.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:55:57 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 03:05:05 pm »

OK, I had only seen brush on solutions (if you can call them that).  I don't see how you could use a brush and get an acceptable finish.  I am intrigued by the DIY spray product.  Looks like your tub is bad enough to give it a shot (mine is too, although, its no competition next to yours:) without the risk of making it worse. I appreciate your thorough response. I will also appreciate the opportunity to see if you screw yours up before I try the same method. Keep me posted. LOL

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 03:22:31 pm »

OK, I had only seen brush on solutions (if you can call them that).  I don't see how you could use a brush and get an acceptable finish.  I am intrigued by the DIY spray product.  Looks like your tub is bad enough to give it a shot (mine is too, although, its no competition next to yours:) without the risk of making it worse. I appreciate your thorough response. I will also appreciate the opportunity to see if you screw yours up before I try the same method. Keep me posted. LOL

The yellowish surface you see in the photo is the old glaze job.  The bluish tint is the original finish.  I'm using straight razor blades in a scraper to get the old stuff off.  I'll sand it with automotive grade paper, tack the dust off then shoot it.  I tried using 1500 grit to see if I could polish out some scuffs or wear in the original surface but they were into the cast iron I think.  If it doesn't work out, I'm out $40 plus tax and 4-5 hours work.  There's absolutely no way I'd try a brush application.  I've seen that before on a tub and tile enclosure and it looks just like someone painted it on with a paint brush or small broom.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 06:03:40 pm »

Just had my tub refinished not 3 weeks ago. Used "Bathroom Magic" 355-1974. It cost 315$. The liner would have cost a lot more and since I dont use the tub anyway, have a shower, wasnt going to worry about wear and tear issues. It looks like a perfectly fine job to me.

Also finally got the tile done earlier this year. I had done the floor myself, then decided that was enough of that type of thing for me. Had someone do the shower,,, they made a mess of it. Then had another company to the wainscotting and they did a great job.

Fiiiinally almost done with the bath. Need to finish sanding and painting the ceiling, do some light glazing on the cabinets, and I think that will do it. Btw, I was pretty proud of my shelf idea over the tub, made it myself.  Smiley And can anyone tell me why the critters always always have to get right in the way when your trying to take pics? lol

This was actually 2 microscopic baths at one time. Now its one small one lol. The tub was on one side and the shower on the other. Ripped out the middle wall, both sinks and a toilet. Had to chisel out all the tile, one side was green the other pink. Then level the floor. The black wall behind where the sink is now is where some pipes, and a vent for the hot water tank I guess, were so had to put that in. Went ahead and was brave and made it gloss black with the silver mirror on top. Then put in the black shelf and the silver and black framed photos to tie it all together. Kind of a mix of, old world classical, contemporary and a bit of deco. 

Next project.... the Kitchen.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 06:21:56 pm »

Just had my tub refinished not 3 weeks ago. Used "Bathroom Magic" 355-1974. It cost 315$. The liner would have cost a lot more and since I dont use the tub anyway, have a shower, wasnt going to worry about wear and tear issues. It looks like a perfectly fine job to me.

Also finally got the tile done earlier this year. I had done the floor myself, then decided that was enough of that type of thing for me. Had someone do the shower,,, they made a mess of it. Then had another company to the wainscotting and they did a great job.

Fiiiinally almost done with the bath. Need to finish sanding and painting the ceiling, do some light glazing on the cabinets, and I think that will do it. Btw, I was pretty proud of my shelf idea over the tub, made it myself.  Smiley And can anyone tell me why the critters always always have to get right in the way when your trying to take pics? lol

This was actually 2 microscopic baths at one time. Now its one small one lol. The tub was on one side and the shower on the other. Ripped out the middle wall, both sinks and a toilet. Had to chisel out all the tile, one side was green the other pink. Then level the floor. The black wall behind where the sink is now is where some pipes, and a vent for the hot water tank I guess, were so had to put that in. Went ahead and was brave and made it gloss black with the silver mirror on top. Then put in the black shelf and the silver and black framed photos to tie it all together. Kind of a mix of, old world classical, contemporary and a bit of deco. 

Next project.... the Kitchen.

Nice Hijack with pics and everything...heh...Looks good...

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 07:40:04 am »

Why did your cat get in the photo?

$315 sounds really reasonable.  Your tub design is identical to mine, and the finish looks fantastic....hmmm it's tempting.  The bid to put a plastic liner in mine was $2000.  Plastic enclosure, liner, some basic plumbing was about $5700. 

jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 09:32:55 am »

$315 is not too bad.  A little more than I would LIKE to pay, but I sure am getting sore from all this moving and such.  I may have to spring for it.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 09:43:28 am »

I said pancakes and gave them a call.  I'm set for 7:30am on Friday.  My time is worth more than that to me, and I know what I will get for a finish.  She said $85 or less to finish stripping what I'd started, $315 to coat it.  Best part is, I can have my bath back together by the end of the weekend. 

Thanks for the tip Artist!

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 12:22:20 pm »

They came out this morning, they were done in less than three hours and I'm incredibly happy with the result.

At this point, looks like money very well-spent.  I'll post photos of the "after" soon as I can.  I might also mention, they've been in business for 21 years.

They remembered Artists house very well: "You mean the home near 41st & Yale that looks like a $1mm mansion inside?"

jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 02:16:13 pm »

Any special instructions? You have to use non-abrasive cleaners or anything?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org