A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 10:21:45 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Demolition of Fields Downs Randolph in Downtown  (Read 26799 times)
waterboy
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2009, 06:54:07 pm »

Yeah, all good reasoning. Just doin' bidness. Only, why the heck did they buy the building in the first place? Its never been "marketable" since Fields left it. It was for sell during good economic times too you know.

They won't get my sympathy. If you don't have a plan for a downtown building in the first place other than, "wait til it appreciates" or the government builds a revenue generator next to it, then do us all a favor and don't buy the dang thing.

Just doin' bidness downtown has become a euphemism for buy low-sell high. If that fails, grade it for parking. They did nothing to improve its value, increase its saleability or even just maintain it. ITS ON THE EXIT OF THE BUSIEST EXPRESSWAY INTO DOWNTOWN FOR HEAVENS SAKE! If you can't make that work for you, it ain't business savvy, its stupidity.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2009, 09:28:47 pm »

Maybe TulsaNow can map out a plan for the East end?

There is a plan in the works for the east end. Crowley just didn't have the final drawings done yet.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2009, 11:26:23 am »

Can't wait to see it
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2009, 01:43:13 pm »

Here it is today

* IMG_0714.JPG (1238.77 KB - downloaded 451 times.)
OSU
Activist

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2009, 02:25:21 pm »

I can only hope someone is at least saving the bricks to be reused somewhere downtown someday. I noticed that those buildings at 2nd and Elgin that were missing their fronts seem to be rebuilt using old bricks.

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2009, 01:26:20 pm »

ARC Wrecking = the bricks and building materials are in a landfill, where they cannot be reclaimed.
Nic Nac
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2009, 01:46:00 pm »

I don't think ARC is doing the demo.  ARC would have been finished up long ago.  Either way there is definitely no material being salvaged.  Def. a shame.  Looks like lots of great stuff in there.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2009, 02:12:22 pm »

I don't think ARC is doing the demo.  ARC would have been finished up long ago.  Either way there is definitely no material being salvaged.  Def. a shame.  Looks like lots of great stuff in there.

The fence isn't that secure, have at it.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2009, 02:19:53 pm »

Anyone tearing down a building they won't use to create a vacant lot that isn't needed, probably isn't going to spend the extra money to salvage any materials from the tear down.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2009, 06:18:02 pm »

Are new bricks still cheaper than recycled bricks?  It would seem so.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2009, 08:11:36 pm »

Are new bricks still cheaper than recycled bricks?  It would seem so.

Yes but new bricks are not as strong as old ones.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2009, 08:16:31 pm »

Who can we contact to get permission to salvage? Great old bricks and glass blocks are going to the land fill. Maybe we can just go to the landfill?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2009, 07:34:58 am »

Interesting tidbit:

GENERALLY:   You can't take items from someones property even if the building is being torn down and thrown away.  It's theft.  However, you can take things from people's trash can as they are considered abandoned, so it's not theft.   But once it is in the landfill it again becomes illegal to take it.

Go figure.  I assume the latter rule is because it simply "isn't safe" to have people scrounging for junk at the landfill.  Who knows.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2009, 08:45:57 am »

Who can we contact to get permission to salvage? Great old bricks and glass blocks are going to the land fill. Maybe we can just go to the landfill?

And, have you priced glass block lately?  Holy crap!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2009, 12:37:17 pm »

Interesting tidbit:

GENERALLY:   You can't take items from someones property even if the building is being torn down and thrown away.  It's theft.  However, you can take things from people's trash can as they are considered abandoned, so it's not theft.   But once it is in the landfill it again becomes illegal to take it.

Go figure.  I assume the latter rule is because it simply "isn't safe" to have people scrounging for junk at the landfill.  Who knows.

Yeah, I'm sure it has to do with safety.  Plus, there really isn't much opportunity to scrounge around at a landfill.  Everything is pushed around, tamped down and covered pretty shortly after it arrives.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org