A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 07:56:46 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's Official...  (Read 16572 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2009, 09:22:05 pm »

But I'm glad to see you guys have Popeye's instead of Bojangles...YUCK lol

Change that to "us guys" or equivalent.  Welcome to Tulsa.

You will also find that "high speed limits" are not universally appreciated as evidenced by side-by-side drivers going 10 or mph less than the speed limit.  Look out for red light runners too. Other than that, survival on Tulsa streets (as a driver) is not too bad.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2009, 10:58:15 pm »

You will also find that "high speed limits" are not universally appreciated as evidenced by side-by-side drivers going 10 or mph less than the speed limit.  Look out for red light runners too. Other than that, survival on Tulsa streets (as a driver) is not too bad.

Red light runners aren't near as bad here as they are in Houston.  They had built in delays to the greens of up to 5 seconds because of a rash of accidents blamed on them.  Wrong course to take, I think but when you're dealing with a metro area with a population coming up on 5 million, it may be a little difficult to just issue citations for running the light.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 08:49:34 am »

Red light runners aren't near as bad here as they are in Houston.  They had built in delays to the greens of up to 5 seconds because of a rash of accidents blamed on them.  Wrong course to take, I think but when you're dealing with a metro area with a population coming up on 5 million, it may be a little difficult to just issue citations for running the light.

Still enough red light runners in Tulsa to give a word of caution.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 10:11:41 am »

Still enough red light runners in Tulsa to give a word of caution.

I don't doubt that.  But she's coming from the Raleigh metro area, where I'm sure there were plenty of them.  I'm guessing she's used to it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2009, 10:19:15 am »

Okay guys, enough red light smackdown, lest our newest citizen think we are all pithy.   Kiss

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2009, 11:18:05 am »

Those 7-11's in OKC aren't really 7-11's. They have the same logo, but they don't have slurpees, hot dogs, various national 7-11 movie promos, etc.

Through some strange agreement, the OKC 7-11 owner got to keep the name in that market but other than the logo, those stores bear little resemblance to 7-11.

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2009, 11:41:15 am »

Go back to city-data and read my post I just put there, but I'll c and p it here...

-------------

QuikTrip, which can be found in metro areas like Atlanta, St. Louis, Phoenix, KC, Des Moines etc etc, also has many stores here (since this is the QuikTrip headquarters). An agreement was struck some years ago with the Southland Corporations who owns 7-11. It's essentially an exclusivity agreement. QuikTrip agreed not to enter the Oklahoma City market (where there are many 7-11s) as long as 7-11s stayed away from Tulsa. I don't know if they have those same agreements in the other markets, but I know about the OKC. The closest we had was Circle K for years, but then they pulled out of here.

I've been to both. Trust me, QuikTrip is better.

Oh, and no Hardees; those all changed over to Carls Jr.

And Tulsa did, years ago, have one Jack in the Box at 21st and Memorial.

This is what it looks like now:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=7939+e+21st+st,+tulsa,+ok&sll=36.133508,-95.887213&sspn=0.01194,0.027874&ie=UTF8&ll=36.13382,-95.887105&spn=0.01194,0.027874&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A&layer=c&cbll=36.133503,-95.88709&panoid=XDkDlxCc43KM7vPlrH7s6A&cbp=12,357.31,,0,5

Big hamburger eateries here are of course all the national ones, but those with local flavor and flair are:

Hanks Hamburgers, Admiral between Memorial and Mingo
Ron's : several locations around the metro
Braums is actually pretty good with hamburgers. Braums here is what DQ is everywhere else, but I think it's better. I lived in Houston for three years and that was really the only thing I missed (Braums).
--------------------

actually, the exclusivity agreement is mentioned on 7-11's Wikipedia page and mentions no 7-11s in markets where QuikTrip exists.  Which would explain why QT's dont exist in Phoenix city, just in the suburbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7-Eleven#United_States

Hoss, you got it about 1/4 right on the quik-trip/7-11 deal.  If you go to the source document on Wikipedia, it says it was a gentleman's agreement with a friend in OKC.  It only kept QT's out of OKC, not any other 7-11 markets.  The fact that QT is quite big in D-FW (7-11's HQ) probably should have tipped you off.  ;-)

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 12:03:52 pm »

Hoss, you got it about 1/4 right on the quik-trip/7-11 deal.  If you go to the source document on Wikipedia, it says it was a gentleman's agreement with a friend in OKC.  It only kept QT's out of OKC, not any other 7-11 markets.  The fact that QT is quite big in D-FW (7-11's HQ) probably should have tipped you off.  ;-)

You're probably more correct, since after doing some more research and seeing other posts on here and other websites, the 7-11s in OKC really aren't related to the other 7-11s.  Hell, if you go to their website and look for one closest to Tulsa, the closest one is in Olathe, KS, so they don't even rate getting their own locations in 7-11s national database.  I'm guessing the 7-11s in OKC are franchisee owned with a stipulation to keep the logo either by some sort of fee agreement or other compensation (maybe a percentage of profits?).

And actually, DFW is a fairly new market for QT, so no, it's not really that surprising.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2009, 10:20:22 am »

That's funny, I'd always assumed 7-11's HQ was in Beirut or New Delhi.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Cherish
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2009, 08:28:23 pm »

Naw I'm getting used to it.  I used to live in CenTex and saw A LOT of red lights runners there so I'm guessing it's a Southwest thing  Cool.  Most lights up north and in NC are protected by cameras so most people actually slow down or stop at the sign of yellow LOL.  You can't fight a ticket when they got a picture of you, your vehicle and a close up of your vehicles license. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 08:32:44 pm by Cherish » Logged
rwarn17588
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2009, 08:34:44 pm »

Naw I'm getting used to it.  I used to live in CenTex and saw A LOT of red lights runners there so I'm guessing it's a Southwest thing  Cool.  Most lights up north and in NC are protected by cameras so most people actually slow down or stop at the sign of yellow LOL.  You can't fight a ticket when they got a picture of you, your vehicle and a close up of your vehicles license. 

Although some clever drivers have thwarted the camera systems by wearing Groucho glasses while driving (no joke).
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 06:57:00 am »

Although some clever drivers have thwarted the camera systems by wearing Groucho glasses while driving (no joke).

I that IS a joke.  I think red light cameras work by taking pictures of the license plate, not the driver.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 07:21:35 am »

I that IS a joke.  I think red light cameras work by taking pictures of the license plate, not the driver.
They take pictures of both in many places. One to catch the car's plate, the other to identify the driver so you can't weasel out of the ticket. Not that I think red light cameras are anything but wrong-headed and unsafe, as I've previously posted (with evidence for that position).

Outfitting more of our lights with the reverse indications that allow police officers to successfully ticket red light runners and having officers actually ticket for such dangerous behavior rather than focusing primarily on speed enforcement would probably cut down significantly on red light running. Officers are capable of making an on the spot decision as to whether a minor red light infraction was in fact the safest course of action, as it sometimes is.

We also need to fix the lights that don't have any all red interval. That's also unsafe.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:24:39 am by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Cherish
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2009, 09:26:36 am »

Nope it takes a picture of the driver too, depending on where you are.  That's why there's cameras located on 4 different areas of the intersection, to take pics at different angles.  I don't know how it's set up in Tulsa so maybe here they don't take a pic of the driver.  I used to date a cop and I remember him telling me that if your past the indicator line when it's yellow it will not take your picture also something to do with a certain speed.  It's only when you past the indicator line after the light turns red then it will take your picture.  So if your taking a left turn and your like me and go past the indicator line before red it will not take picture, yes I creep closer whenever making a left instead of staying behind the white line unless it's a protected left turn.  You'll see the camera flash when someone actually is running the red light, that means it's red before they crossed the indicator line. 
buckeye
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2009, 10:01:17 am »

According to the Mayor's Action Line folks, the cameras at Tulsa intersections are there only for the purpose of counting cars.

Someplace on the city's website, you can see the data for every intersection in the city (that has 'cameras').

For cheap-o hamburgers, also try:

Claudes - 3834 South Peoria, in Brookside
Brownies - west side of Harvard, just south of 21st street
Weber's Root Beer - 3817 South Peoria, also in Brookside
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org