A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 06:23:16 pm
Poll
Question: What are North Tulsan's doing to help themselves?
Waiting - 4 (40%)
Trying Hard - 1 (10%)
Reasearching - 0 (0%)
Running Away - 5 (50%)
Creating an Urban Renissance? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North Tulsa what is going on?  (Read 21699 times)
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 01:50:08 pm »

Scapegoating Vilifying their multi denominational congregations after 90 years of intolerance towards blacks by this city will not help.

Physically, the north side was separated by highways. Educationally, the north side was cut off from equal educational resources. Emotionally, the north side was brought down by the worst race riot known to mankind. Socially, the north side was never included.

The pathetic situation has been going on over there at the hands of the city's white master race for nearly a century.

this is true but it doesn't answer the simple question.  "What churches are unified to solve the social problems"
rhymnrzn
Activist

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 02:13:38 pm »

Listen to this track "Mason Dixon" by hip hop rhymer Phanatik, a member of the Cross Movement. 

http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.popupplayer&sindex=-1.4&shuffle=false&amix=false&pmix=false&plid=16337&profid=164108405&friendid=164108405&sseed=0&ptype=3&stime=1.541&ap=1&rpeat=false

Some of the lyrics are like this -

"That's what he said as we sat on his porch,
And talked about the difference between the south and the north,
And I ain't dissin', cause these facts that I'm kickin' are true,
North and south of the Mason Dixon

Just cause the whips done stopped,
Don't mean you free to go boy pick them crops,
I mean, Pick that cotton, make them tracks,
Say somethin that's gonna make that cash,
Take this advance, but pay that back,
You under contract, you gotta come back,
Especially if your culture is for sale,
What up homie, ain't your culture for sale?

Don't get offended man, we gotta start here,
African American history, and just to be clear,
What I'm gonna attempt to prove to you,
Is that this north and south struggle ain't new.
Turn in your history books with me,
Let's take a look at Booker T.,
In the south, he was the man of choice,
But up north, it was W.E.B DuBois,
And his boys at the NAACP,
What could have been the trouble?
Just you wait and see.
Twenty years after slavery and the question is,
Now that the slaves are free,
What's gonna be the best circumstance?
The perfect plan for the negroes further advancement,
Is it teachin him to work with his hands,
Or does education grant him a certain chance?...."

Wilbur
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 02:13:49 pm »

You are still missing the point!!  The point is that the church's are not unifying!! 

No.  The point is... the people aren't unifying.  
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 02:26:38 pm »

No.  The point is... the people aren't unifying.  

The church are the people........ So back to the original question "What churches are unified to solve the social problems"  I want to see the problem identified!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 02:28:46 pm by XEALS for THRILLS » Logged
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 03:41:13 pm »

How is it that the churches not unified is the problem? 

edit: just noticed that you said the church are the people (poor grammer there btw).  Please explain how the church is the people there when there are many types of church, many with conflicting views, that represent many types of people. In addition to this, only a small portion of the population attends church now (relatively).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:11:40 pm by custosnox » Logged
waterboy
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 03:46:32 pm »

Okay, I give. Smiley What is the problem and what churches are unified to face it?
FOTD
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 03:57:02 pm »

Back in the day...

* TulsaDrugStore.jpg (38.01 KB - downloaded 342 times.)
Wilbur
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 03:58:51 pm »

The church are the people........ So back to the original question "What churches are unified to solve the social problems"  I want to see the problem identified!!

I say that is the problem.  Too much of North Tulsa sits back and demands the church takes care of social ills.  How long do we wait until we decide that's not going to work, or won't happen, and take matters into their own hands?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 08:17:31 pm »

You are still missing the point!! 

Or, perhaps you are missing the point that not everyone agrees with your assessment of the situation.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 07:56:05 am »

Too much of North Tulsa sits back and demands the church takes care of social ills. 

Actually, IMO, I think the community church is a great place to start.  People need some sort of community-wide inspiration.  Government solutions obviously have not worked.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 12:48:54 pm »

Thanks!!  The church as a non-profit has the ability to gather the man power "it's members" and the money "tithe, offering, grants" to make things happen faster then an individual.   When Dr. King, Malcolm X and Obama lol tried to create a change or standard they used organizations as a platform because those platforms brought the man power, the money and the credibility in most cases.  If the North Side or North and South side church's take on this approach than there will be change.   

Pride is the key opposing force!!!!

Consider the projects Vs. college.....

The projects you have to do better to leave college you don't.  The principle is to be educated.  If education and training was part of the option I think that the level of accountability from the non-profits would presure in a good way those that live there to thrive.  I honestly don't believe that if those in the projects had a way out would stay.  I don't think these company's "churches" are doing the best. Huh
FOTD
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 12:57:09 pm »

Actually, IMO, I think the community church is a great place to start.  People need some sort of community-wide inspiration.  Government solutions obviously have not worked.

Yes. You are correct. The cutting off of North Tulsa from the rest of our city by I-244 did not work. Government failed. "They" still have a problem....even though most of the deciders are now dead. Let's see, the government was in on the riot too. And the government failed to deliver equal opportunity through public schools. And....

Churchianity will not solve a century of bad government agent decisions which divorced North Tulsa from the rest of our community. If we had invested hundreds of millions of dollars back into this area rather than Owasso, Sand Springs, Jenks and Bixby, you would have seen improvement.

It's not government that's the problem. It's the engineers of our government that seem to be the problem...

PRIDE? This ain't no football team bozoXEALS for THRILLS. Keep writing so we can all watch your "innocence" unfold.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 01:10:05 pm »

Churchianity will not solve a century of bad government agent decisions which divorced North Tulsa from the rest of our community.

I'm not talking about churchianity, I'm talking about activism.

Churches can be very powerful as focus-driven community activism platforms.  How many churches do you think got mobilized in President Obama's days as a community organizer?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 01:41:51 pm »

I'm not talking about churchianity, I'm talking about activism.

Churches can be very powerful as focus-driven community activism platforms.  How many churches do you think got mobilized in President Obama's days as a community organizer?

That was ACORN....and you should know you're relatives!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 02:09:23 pm »

That was ACORN....and you should know you're relatives!

No we aren't.  I'm a white hater, remember?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org