A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 10:21:00 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OKC has their @#$@# together with "Core to Shore"  (Read 9019 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: September 16, 2009, 10:29:19 pm »

I am currently being blown away by a program on OETA ("State of Creativity") about the "Core to Shore" project in Oklahoma City.

You can watch the video online.  Click on the video for "Building the City of Tomorrow."
http://creativity.oeta.tv/

The program shows what the Core to Shore project will create in OKC.  It's a terrific-looking documentary that alternates between interviews (with planners, architects, project team members, etc), video of the existing site, and VERY life-like computer "simulations" of the proposed development (to help folks SEE how their city will be transformed).  The animations place you in the context of the completed project.  What it will look like if you're standing here, walking here, driving here...

This show is brilliant, both as a political and marketing tool.  It's a very visual, visceral and compelling way to help people imagine the impact of a project that hasn't been built yet. 

This 27-minute production is worth its weight in gold.  It's an amazing tool to help people imagine the possibilities, and see how their public investments will pay off.

Tulsa has failed at this so often in the past--failed to communicate a vision so that people can grasp it--that I'm struck by how powerful this technique is.  Why don't we do this???

This should be required viewing for all of Tulsa's leaders.  It's brilliant, both in terms of big ideas, and how to communicate them effectively to the public.  (In contrast to the dismal marketing that was done prior to the ill-fated and generally misunderstood River Vote.) ("Do it for me.")  (WHATEVER!)

The computer animation was created by an OKC company called Skyline Ink.  http://www.skylineink.com/

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 10:37:26 pm »

Is this the plan where they relocate a good chunk of I-40 to where the rail depot or yard presently is?  I don't remember the details but the rail facility will be negatively impacted.

waterboy
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 07:01:02 am »

I watched a good portion of it Ponder. It was impressive. Meanwhile we have to look at water color "artist renderings" showing sailboats, sailboarders, powerboats, extreme kayakers, rowing shells and police boats all sharing the same little lagoon at the lowater dam. Not only unlikely but rather hard to imagine given the low level of understanding the public has of this river.

The planners, politicians and designers of this OKC project all sound pretty level headed and capable. They are using the best skilled planners and communicators utilizing the most effective local medium for relaying complicated issues to speak to their city. And don't forget, they have large energy corporations with headquarters there who strongly support and fund development. But contrast that with the PR on last nite's news about the meetings regarding our forced development. Meetings scheduled apparently for retired citizens, self employed or trust funders. Karen Keith looks directly into the camera at close range and assures us that it is a complicated, technical process that is being handled with care. Okay. You kids run along now, we'll take care of this.

Therein lies the core of the difference. They are facing problems like the I-40 relocation squarely, making a case to the public. A public who have embraced big thinking in the past and seen some success. Tulsa County has voted against every major river development scheme (except levees) since their inception. (Not to confuse that with the COT who voted in favor of the last plan. But its the county who is running this show). Rather than take a rational approach that gives respect to the public, like OKC or Fort Worth's Trinity River, we have historically bypassed the public and forced a vision of development in spite of those voter denials with hardly a nod to them. You might recognize it as a management style known as "benevolent dictatorship". IOW, "....so, you folks go ahead and vote. Your input is important. Then we'll do what we want to do cause we know what's best for you". Inhofe forced the Zink lowater dam in the same manner.  These dams are to happen come hell or high water, thats for sure and people feel it.

Don't confuse my criticism with a lack of confidence in the folks who design and build the dams. At heart their motives appear good and the dams will be functional, if not as described. Unfortunately they are engineers. Their world is black and white. The rest of us live in shades of brown/gray. What OKC has done is a better job of interfacing with the public and talking frankly. I dunno, maybe the anti-tax, anti-gubmnt attitude is such here that they chose the best path of communication. And I thought Tulsa was the sophisticated metro.

BTW, that canal shown below the Tulsa lowater dam with a kayak ripping down the rapids was an idea I described here 4 years ago. Roundly dismissed as unworkable and too expensive. Give me some props for that. Cool
okcpulse
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 07:05:54 am »

Is this the plan where they relocate a good chunk of I-40 to where the rail depot or yard presently is?  I don't remember the details but the rail facility will be negatively impacted.

Nope, this is completely different for the I-40 project.  Core To Shore will happen once the relocation project is complete.  Part of Core To Shore is being proposed in the upcoming MAPS 3 package that will go before voters sometime later this year.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 07:11:07 am »

Unfortunately they are engineers. Their world is black and white. The rest of us live in shades of brown/gray.

It's not always as black and white as non-technical people might think.  Certainly there are design requirements that must be met, especially for public safety.  How those specs are met is not always a straight single lane path.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 09:05:45 am »

I saw a good portion of that core to shore presentation the other night on TV. On the one hand I am impressed with OKCs ability to get things done.... BUT

What they have in those renderings, while they may look pretty to the average eye, I see an urban nightmare. They "talk" about pedestrian friendly spaces, but what your seeing in those pretty images is anything but. Large looming walls, parking garages, long spaces where nobody is going to be walking, etc.  It more reminds me of one of those grand communist "planned city" concepts. Fitting for OKC I guess, but nothing I would want in Tulsa.

I would rather have lots of smaller, interconnected, cozy, interesting and funky little projects. The Pearl District, East End, Blue Dome, Greenwood, Brady Arts Museum/entertainment District.  Our "Core to Shore" and we in essence already have one started if you go from Downtown through uptown past Veterans Park and to the River. Throw in the Trolley thats planned as part of Jack Crawleys vision through all of that, and also the Gunboat Park project, and the rail connecting the west side... and we have a great vision.  Its lots of little pieces, that if we built them would imo create a much better scenario than what OKC has envisioned.  We are/could be, creating a more organic, ecclectic, clustering of many different smaller areas which will feel so nice to actually be in and enjoy. Something uniquely Tulsa that we can be proud of.  Doesnt have the big flash appeal that the OKC pics present, but you will actually be able to LIVE, walk, work, and play in our area.

Goes back to the idea of the different ways to make waves. Throw in a big boulder ala OKC, or lots of coordinated pebbles ala Tulsa.

The only envy I have is their ability to get things done. IF we would get moving on our smaller projects. I have no doubt that our approach would create the better city in the end. At least our plans "could" actually create truly pedestrian friendly areas... look at their videos and renderings, its not pedestrian friendly folks no matter what they say. All the trees and banners in the world arent gonna fix those horrid streets, or give me a reason to walk past those blank walls and parking garages. Think of how well thought out the Pearl District Plan is. Its mix of uses, cozy streets, Woonerven streets, smaller parks woven into the neighborhoods fabric and fulfilling multiple uses. The shopping/retail areas zoned to have the buildings up to the sidewalk, lots of windows, doors, interesting details, water features, bollards instead of curbs and discernable sidewalks, etc. etc. all working together to make the flow between the buildings, sidewalk and street interesting and comfortable. Now THAT kind of thinking will create a truly pedestrian friendly city.  Lots of connected areas like that could be Soooo much better imo than what your seeing in the OKC thing. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:19:58 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 09:19:33 am »

Their world is black and white. The rest of us live in shades of brown/gray.

I'm more of a taupe kind of person.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
waterboy
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 10:29:37 am »

its not the outcome, its the process.

Edit: Sorry, I just had a moment to post. Let me be a little more specific. The fact that our plans may be better isn't the point. What I got from Ponder's post was that they communicate throughout the process more effectively. What I see is that they seem to understand the process a little better and are able to discuss it with the voters without a take it or leave it impression.

I used shades of brown because the river seems mostly brown. Taupe is better. As in "Dammitall, I went rowing today and got some taupe on my crew socks". Or maybe cinnamon expresso would work. Funny guys. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:17:14 pm by waterboy » Logged
FOTD
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 10:46:31 am »

I'm more of a taupe kind of person.

You certainly are not chartreuse....
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 10:53:20 am »

You certainly are not chartreuse....

Might be

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 11:23:15 am »

What rhymes with Taupe?

Don't you just love these dreamy threads?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 11:26:19 am »

What rhymes with Taupe?

Don't you just love these dreamy threads?

overused at this point, but suddenly relevant to our conversation

FOTD
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 11:53:53 am »

dude touche...
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 06:09:14 pm »

its not the outcome, its the process.

Edit: Sorry, I just had a moment to post. Let me be a little more specific. The fact that our plans may be better isn't the point. What I got from Ponder's post was that they communicate throughout the process more effectively. What I see is that they seem to understand the process a little better and are able to discuss it with the voters without a take it or leave it impression.

I used shades of brown because the river seems mostly brown. Taupe is better. As in "Dammitall, I went rowing today and got some taupe on my crew socks". Or maybe cinnamon expresso would work. Funny guys. Roll Eyes

Hmm, well thats a knock against their process then. If they have communicated so well throughout the process, supposedly getting input, changes made, etc. only to have that process end up with such a lame result... I think I like our process better lol.  If ill informed, uneducated, mediocrity is the result of that type of input, I am aginst it. Their whole plan looks like something from the past that, today would be looked at as "lessons learned" "dont do this your heading for a fail if you do" scenario. I cant believe real planners came up with this?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
waterboy
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 10:31:39 pm »

You're just being provincial. "Our plans are better than yours cause your river sucks, cause you aren't as smart as we are cause you guys are just cowboys and will never, ever be as sophisticated as us."

They have a different pallette to paint with and a different canvas but have done a great job of communicating their plans and building support for them. Whether they are first rate plans in your opinion is not germane. They have been accepted by the public and have garnered them tourism dollars and development at a higher level than our planning process has. They are on version three of MAPS. We're on level one of V2025.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org