A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 01:24:39 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Must Get a New D.A.  (Read 3514 times)
FOTD
« on: November 29, 2009, 01:44:13 pm »

DA's Office pulling out of case-expediting program
The move has some worried it will affect a rehab program for nonviolent offenders on probation.

" Chief Public Defender Pete Silva is concerned about the move by the district attorney to withdraw from the docket and its impact on community sentencing.

In addition to increasing the caseloads of five district judges, this action will increase the jail population and therefore jail costs, Silva indicated.

He thinks the impact on how cases are resolved will also increase the number of nonviolent offenders sent to prison from Tulsa County.

People put on probation will be subject to having it revoked because they were not afforded the supportive programs — available only through community sentencing — that are designed to help them become law-abiding citizens, he said. "

Silva continues to be one of this city's premiere public servants....Harris, just another bible thumping ignoramus....
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 09:27:09 pm »

I agree, and have thought so for a long time before this, hopefully others will realize this as well.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 09:04:09 am »

TPD officers will tell you that the reason that many of them won’t investigate crimes is because even when they do, Harris won’t prosecute.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 09:35:04 am »

We need a quality opponent to run against Harris.  Swab was a total joke. 

If we want a better DA, we need to be prepared to pay for it, a really great administrator and litigant can make too much in the private sector to want to be DA.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 09:36:41 am »

I heard that Brett Schwab was going to run for Sheriff this time.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 09:47:37 am »

I heard that Brett Schwab was going to run for Sheriff this time.

Tell ol' T. Bret good luck with that.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 01:39:38 pm »

We need a quality opponent to run against Harris.  Swab was a total joke. 

If we want a better DA, we need to be prepared to pay for it, a really great administrator and litigant can make too much in the private sector to want to be DA.

I guess someone doesn't do it for the public service part of it?  I'd like to hope someone is willing to step up.  I thought Ned Turnbull had a good shot several years ago, but I do agree there have been few quality candidates, the problem is, it's likely going to be another problem of "anything is better than what we currently have" and we could be in even bigger trouble.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 02:26:00 pm »

I guess someone doesn't do it for the public service part of it?  I'd like to hope someone is willing to step up.  I thought Ned Turnbull had a good shot several years ago, but I do agree there have been few quality candidates, the problem is, it's likely going to be another problem of "anything is better than what we currently have" and we could be in even bigger trouble.

You will either wind up with someone who isn't a very successful attorney interested in the post or a judge as their salaries are, I believe, slightly lower than that of the DA. 

Who really wants the donkey-pain of that job for $120K?  Pay the kind of money that Charles Hardt's job pays and you might have some bait for better candidates.  You've got to be a capable prosecutor, administrator, and supervisor in that position.  I think a lot of people have the idea all the DA does is file charges and prosecute.  Much of that is done by the associate DA's.

buckeye
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 03:37:10 pm »

TPD officers will tell you that the reason that many of them won’t investigate crimes is because even when they do, Harris won’t prosecute.
Unless you shoot a meth-crazed whacko in self defense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org