A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 06:50:54 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vision 2025...Part 2?  (Read 263879 times)
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2012, 02:48:47 am »

Posted by: Teatownclown
I got a good idea....spend the money on the public welfare through infrastructure improvements. Our lazy councilors and Mayor need to define our real future needs and quit letting the Chambermaids dictate their priorities. Really surprised Blake's already become "one of them."

Mr. Clown, How do you figure? If I've done anything to indicate that I support the stated list of future needs or this rushed timeframe or that I'm "one of them", it was certainly by mistake. Ask around. Ask Chamber folks if they felt like I've ever let them dictate priorities. In our meetings, (the three I was invited to) I challenged nearly every aspect of this including airport infrastructure amount and needs, deal closing fund, Gilcrease Expressway, a November vote, etc. I think it's rushed. I think it's impossible to put a solid list of projects together in this time frame. I think it's reactionary and panic driven. I think we can do better than this. That's exactly what I told them. I told them this didn't feel like us being bold and visionary. It felt like we were following, not leading. I asked them to consider other ways of funding it, to consider moving the date, to consider a phased approach to airport improvements, to do something bold and different instead of the deal closing fund, to allow for projects that will change our future...you get the picture.

A list of people who were in those meetings who will tell you what a pain in the @$$ I was: J. Smaligo, V. Vreeland, G.T. Bynum, D. Littlefield, Mike Neal, The Mayor, R. Brierre, Chris Benge, Jim Fram, Becky Frank, etc.

At least two of those people spew venom at the sound of my name. One of them stormed out of a room angry at me and another one can't even look at me without clinching his jaw.

I'm okay with a lot of things, but being accused of taking marching orders from anyone, much less The Chamber is not okay with me.

I don't like this, but it is what it is. If there's a chance of it passing (slim), I'm going to have at least done my part by pushing for items to be included in the Tulsa projects list that will actually change our trajectory as a community. I don't know what "one of them" means, but I assure you that Bynum and I were in a very different place on this thing. He's just much more diplomatic than I am.

I'm going to do my job on this thing the best way I know how, which is to solicit feedback early and often and do my best to represent the bold ideas of forward thinking Tulsans.

I applaud the effort on this thing and the desire to advance the city, but it's not how I would do it. They know that. I hope you know that too. That's not really what matters right now. Right now we have something that's going to be on our ballot in November and a few months to shape what might be on that proposal. The decision we have to make now is how we're going to respond. It's tough...and I'm trying to figure that out too. I'm glad to hear your thoughts. Thanks to you all for having the conversation. Please keep it up.

Thanks.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2012, 06:50:46 am »

Posted by: Teatownclown
Mr. Clown, How do you figure? If I've done anything to indicate that I support the stated list of future needs or this rushed timeframe or that I'm "one of them", it was certainly by mistake. Ask around. Ask Chamber folks if they felt like I've ever let them dictate priorities. In our meetings, (the three I was invited to) I challenged nearly every aspect of this including airport infrastructure amount and needs, deal closing fund, Gilcrease Expressway, a November vote, etc. I think it's rushed. I think it's impossible to put a solid list of projects together in this time frame. I think it's reactionary and panic driven. I think we can do better than this. That's exactly what I told them. I told them this didn't feel like us being bold and visionary. It felt like we were following, not leading. I asked them to consider other ways of funding it, to consider moving the date, to consider a phased approach to airport improvements, to do something bold and different instead of the deal closing fund, to allow for projects that will change our future...you get the picture.

A list of people who were in those meetings who will tell you what a pain in the @$$ I was: J. Smaligo, V. Vreeland, G.T. Bynum, D. Littlefield, Mike Neal, The Mayor, R. Brierre, Chris Benge, Jim Fram, Becky Frank, etc.

At least two of those people spew venom at the sound of my name. One of them stormed out of a room angry at me and another one can't even look at me without clinching his jaw.

I'm okay with a lot of things, but being accused of taking marching orders from anyone, much less The Chamber is not okay with me.

I don't like this, but it is what it is. If there's a chance of it passing (slim), I'm going to have at least done my part by pushing for items to be included in the Tulsa projects list that will actually change our trajectory as a community. I don't know what "one of them" means, but I assure you that Bynum and I were in a very different place on this thing. He's just much more diplomatic than I am.

I'm going to do my job on this thing the best way I know how, which is to solicit feedback early and often and do my best to represent the bold ideas of forward thinking Tulsans.

I applaud the effort on this thing and the desire to advance the city, but it's not how I would do it. They know that. I hope you know that too. That's not really what matters right now. Right now we have something that's going to be on our ballot in November and a few months to shape what might be on that proposal. The decision we have to make now is how we're going to respond. It's tough...and I'm trying to figure that out too. I'm glad to hear your thoughts. Thanks to you all for having the conversation. Please keep it up.

Thanks.

I would have to defend Blake on this.  He was the first out of the gate asking for feedback and opinion from the people.  Something very new for his district.  His communications and posts on Facebook, and publicly indicated cautious neutrality on the issue.  He seems to frame his stance, and formulate his strategies for leadership in the appropriate manner.  First he listens to his constituency, then develops his position based on that feedback, rather than just his own convictions.

I have yet to see this from my city councilor, or any of the others for that matter.  I think much of our city leadership could take a lesson from this.

We, on the other hand are quick to judge and slow to change our opinions, that of course is our right as private citizens to be as stubborn, cautious, or frivolous as we choose.  As a public servant, and a new public servant at that, I continue to be impressed by Blake's responsible execution of his duties, and respect for his constituency.  

Don't burn out Blake!  You're the brightest bulb in the room.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2012, 07:39:13 am »

I would have to defend Blake on this.  He was the first out of the gate asking for feedback and opinion from the people.  Something very new for his district.  His communications and posts on Facebook, and publicly indicated cautious neutrality on the issue.  He seems to frame his stance, and formulate his strategies for leadership in the appropriate manner.  First he listens to his constituency, then develops his position based on that feedback, rather than just his own convictions.

I have yet to see this from my city councilor, or any of the others for that matter.  I think much of our city leadership could take a lesson from this.

We, on the other hand are quick to judge and slow to change our opinions, that of course is our right as private citizens to be as stubborn, cautious, or frivolous as we choose.  As a public servant, and a new public servant at that, I continue to be impressed by Blake's responsible execution of his duties, and respect for his constituency.  

Too bad our federally elected parallels don't take a page from Blake's book.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2012, 07:56:38 am »

That's a difficult tightrope walk he faces there.  On one hand, feedback and opinion is very good to get - governing is a dynamic activity that should move around a bit.  On the other, the background fact is that people elected him, at least theoretically because they agreed with his opinions, thoughts, and approach to problem solving and are looking for him to use his convictions to do the job.  Tough thing to do.  He seems to be doing better than average.  Don't let the buzzards get ya down, Blake....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2012, 10:04:45 am »

As a 1st District resident, I had high hopes for Councilor Ewing.  He has exceeded my expectations.  His asking tough questions about Vision 2 is only the latest example of why.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2012, 11:52:53 am »

As long as it doesn't develop into a reflexive "no, we will not spend public money to improve our community" thing, there isn't anything wrong with saying no. Wink

Whoever thought it was reasonable to put this before the voters without the vast majority of the spending already assigned to specific projects ought to be smacked upside the head.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
shadows
City Father

« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2012, 05:47:45 pm »

In the past elections the sales taxes was touted as “pay as you go tax and save taxes”.  I see that nearly a hundred million dollars in interest is reserved in the upcoming sales tax maneuvering election.  Does anyone know why when prime CD’s are drawing a little over 1% that such high percentage of interest is being set aside for bonds? 

All propositions will not start the day following the election. Will the interest begin the next day?           

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2012, 02:18:38 pm »

In the past elections the sales taxes was touted as “pay as you go tax and save taxes”.  I see that nearly a hundred million dollars in interest is reserved in the upcoming sales tax maneuvering election.  Does anyone know why when prime CD’s are drawing a little over 1% that such high percentage of interest is being set aside for bonds? 

All propositions will not start the day following the election. Will the interest begin the next day?           

The original Vision 2025 used a combination of Pay as you Go and borrowed money.  This proposal is for spending taxes that are not scheduled to be collected until 2017-2029.  To the extent any funds are to be spent prior to 2017, those funds will all have to be borrowed.

shadows
City Father

« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2012, 10:51:57 pm »

Thanks for the info:  It seems that they are mixing several propositions under one ballot title.  Instead of being able to vote for the propositions one likes it will be take all or nothing. 

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2012, 10:57:49 pm »

Thanks for the info:  It seems that they are mixing several propositions under one ballot title.  Instead of being able to vote for the propositions one likes it will be take all or nothing. 

Just like Washington, they sneak some turds in with the good stuff.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2012, 11:06:14 pm »

Just like Washington, they sneak some turds in with the good stuff.

You can say that again.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2012, 06:51:06 am »

I think we should use this as an opportunity. Members of this forum have put together a long list of pie in the sky desires for downtown and here is a pie in the sky plan to pin them to. We should pick a few of our favorites and get them included on the ballot. At least that way they are out there for future more sensible plans.

My wants:
Additional Revenue streams for downtown housing
A parking sollution that frees up the surface parking lots in the blue dome and next to the PAC/City Hall for development.
A downtown circulator
Cathedral Square
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2012, 02:15:25 pm »

Meanwhile, in Tulsa area government...

The Tulsa County Republican Party County Committee has voted to oppose the Vision2 extension of a county sales tax and to censure GOP Commissioners Fred Perry and John Smaligo for their efforts in behalf of the measure.

Per TW FB post.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2012, 02:46:25 pm »

Meanwhile, in Tulsa area government...

Per TW FB post.

Crap!  That means the local democrats will rally behind it. 

Just watch the worm turn.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2012, 02:50:33 pm »

Crap!  That means the local democrats will rally behind it. 

Just watch the worm turn.

Think it's a good thing for a political party to try to control this?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org