A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 10:35:18 pm
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vision 2025...Part 2?  (Read 263752 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #210 on: August 26, 2012, 10:05:29 am »

You should be careful using terms like "not".    Was it really that important to correct me that you didn't even bother to look and see if you were right?
The 1984 Memorial Day Flood killed 14, injured 288, damaged or destroyed nearly 7,000 buildings, and left $180 million in damages ($257 million in 1994 dollars). Mingo Creek alone accounted for $125 million of the damages.
http://www.cityoftulsa.org/city-services/flood-control/flooding-history.aspx

From your link:

The 1984 Memorial Day Flood, the worst in the city's history, was Tulsa's watershed point.
After a muggy Sunday afternoon, a stalled cool front produced some 15 inches of mid-night rain, centered over Mingo Creek but also extending across most of the city. The results were disastrous.

The 1986 Arkansas River Flood was a first test of the new stormwater management program. It also served as a reminder of the finite protection of Keystone Dam. Between September and October 1986, Keystone Reservoir filled to capacity, forcing the Corps to release water at the rate of 310,000 cubic feet per second. Downstream flooding was inevitable.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #211 on: August 26, 2012, 04:24:59 pm »

Thanks for proving me correct. Sorry Teedub.

I was quite involved in both of these floods. My mother was part of the stormwater management efforts and wrote the history on the city website you cited. I spent days after each flood volunteering to go through damage areas.

Power is nothing till you use it.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #212 on: August 26, 2012, 05:40:41 pm »

Thanks for proving me correct. Sorry Teedub.

I was quite involved in both of these floods. My mother was part of the stormwater management efforts and wrote the history on the city website you cited. I spent days after each flood volunteering to go through damage areas.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Seems there are errors in the floods in the 63 sq mile Mingo basin.  The dated pictures I have do not qualify the internet account of the Tulsa floods.

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #213 on: August 27, 2012, 01:16:20 pm »

Nice job on this list TulsaNow!

http://tulsanow.org/index.php/2012/08/double-vision/
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #214 on: August 27, 2012, 03:09:01 pm »

Prop One of Vision2 Focused On Airport Improvements

http://www.ktul.com/story/19388272/vision2-focused-on-airport-improvements?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Tulsa, OK -
Tulsa County is counting on voters to see the vision this November.  Vision2 would extend the 6/10 of a penny sales tax currently in Vision 2025.

Much of proposition one of Vision2 calls for an estimated $254- million to improve the infrastructure at the Tulsa airport, replacing or repairing just about everything from the rooftop to the pavement. It would also make sure the hangers can fit new larger aircraft so maintenance work keeps coming to Tulsa. Another $53-million would go toward closing the deal to get companies here. While some are worried that this is all about convincing American to stay, Commissioner John Smaligo says that's not the case. "No, absolutely not, this is about making sure our infrastructure remains a world class facility. It's the largest non-military aerospace maintenance facility in the world," he told Tulsa's Channel 8.

Smaligo says no one's touched much of complex since World War II. He says an overhaul could attract other companies to Tulsa with world class facilities along with our willing and able workforce. Voters will have the final say in November. "I think in the end they're going to be willing to do that," said Smaligo.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #215 on: August 27, 2012, 04:12:57 pm »

I'm willing to bet that this is just one of many issues confronting the airport.

Maybe the best route would be to get a commitment from AA in return for all this city has tried to do for this mismanaged company and with that commitment go out to the private sector and find a real estate company suitor to own and retrofit those buildings based on long term pre-leasing. After all, AA will have better credit coming out of bankruptcy which should make their tenancy bankable.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #216 on: August 27, 2012, 05:45:14 pm »

The bankrupt judge disallowed the million dollar bonuses the head officials of AA voted them selves before the city had time to collect the money from the SS recipients, retirees, and working poor.  These officials have worked overtime scalping the city and should be rewarded.

In view that the county would suffer if the money does not become available the aircraft repair station at the airport could move elsewhere and the city would have to find another company to lease that part of the building.

Could the citizens afford to find another leaser to lease that half of the building (with tooling) for a $1 a year?   

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #217 on: September 02, 2012, 07:16:54 pm »

Not interested in this one. I'm a "no" for now--if anyone cares.  Shocked

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #218 on: September 02, 2012, 07:33:05 pm »

Not interested in this one. I'm a "no" for now--if anyone cares.  Shocked

Good luck with that.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #219 on: September 02, 2012, 07:35:16 pm »

I would rather there be two different votes, one on the airport and one on the closing fund.  I think the airport would have a good chance of making it.  Making it a 2025 part 2 and rushing the other items... I am voting against it.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #220 on: September 02, 2012, 08:00:21 pm »

I'm not liking what I'm seeing - or more to the point - not seeing on these projects.  There's a whole lot of "trust me" in this.

And I asked about Owasso's plans on the Informed Owasso facebook page. So far....crickets.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #221 on: September 03, 2012, 10:07:21 pm »

It sure does not make sense for educated voters to be asked to approve money for special tooling for AA when AA has several operations like those in Tulsa.  Even some in foreign operations on foreign soil.  Tulsa could spend millions for special tooling and AA could move it anywhere in the world with their every day equipment within 24 hours.  The tooling could be ready for use in their next shift by employees in their home lands.  Cost of labor could be greatly reduced.

Then there is the millions of dollars for a slush fund which can be turn into a “finder’s fee” to be collected by local politicians.  Unless the voter has a vested interest in the operation it can turn into the bad apple cliché like Tulsa has ongoing at present.   Just trust them.

JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #222 on: September 04, 2012, 08:46:47 am »

I'm not liking what I'm seeing - or more to the point - not seeing on these projects.  There's a whole lot of "trust me" in this.

And I asked about Owasso's plans on the Informed Owasso facebook page. So far....crickets.

Haha... Owasso and "Plan" should never be used in a sentence together when referencing the City Government.  The planning in our fine city is terrible.  I have had several conversations with people in the city about how the "purchase" things.  No centralized purchasing office, no checks and balances, just that things are put to the city council for vote.  I asked how they made sure that competition was sought, they said that it was up to the people who provide the information to the council.  I have to do more than that on a $5,000 buy.  I also asked how they made sure that favoritism was not given or that the people involved were not taking kickbacks.... no answer to that one. 

But really, the planning is as such.  Does it involve traffic?  Add a stop light!  Does it involve people? Character trait that coincides with the issue!  Everything else?  eh!

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #223 on: September 04, 2012, 09:04:32 am »

Channel Six report last night on the new part of Vision 2025 said that "The Tulsa Now Forum" was against it.
They even showed the web site page and logo. Way to go TNF.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #224 on: September 04, 2012, 09:36:12 am »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOXtWxhlsUg[/youtube]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org