A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 04:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vision 2025...Part 2?  (Read 263643 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #300 on: September 11, 2012, 03:13:12 pm »

The only thing I'm willing to vote yes for is to take ALL of the money and fix the streets.  No other projects allowed in my book.  Fifty years ago the streets were great!   We could have that again...and it's not normal to live with streets like this, just go to many other cities.

Then everyone will complain about the street construction for three years......we'll have a grand time griping, but eventually we won't have to pay the $ 700+ per year per car for car repairs as estimated on TV.

My transportation is in the shop now having the front end repaired again....and it's an International Harvester 2 ton truck I bought for commuting.  I had a big bar welded onto the front to scrape cars that run past stop signs on side streets trying to pull out in front of me.

Except we already passed a streets package a few years ago.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #301 on: September 11, 2012, 03:30:37 pm »

Fifty years ago the streets were great!

I suspect we had less than half the lane-miles to maintain fifty years ago. The problem isn't the budget, it's the sprawl that doesn't pay for itself.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #302 on: September 11, 2012, 04:09:29 pm »

Have you seen the photos from the Beryl Ford collection? Our roads have ALWAYS sucked.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #303 on: September 11, 2012, 04:27:10 pm »

Have you seen the photos from the Beryl Ford collection? Our roads have ALWAYS sucked.

Well, the citizens see the roads and the roads are a political issue come elections. On the other hand, our underground pipes are out of sight and out of mind even when chloramine is dumped down them...highly corrosive. Our air is contaminated, but that is still not a political motivator.

None of this crap is designed to continue to pay for itself. Lousy future planning....
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:29:05 pm by Teatownclown » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #304 on: September 11, 2012, 04:27:32 pm »

Memory, heart, fonder...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #305 on: September 11, 2012, 05:02:30 pm »

I would like to know what is planned for oh, I don't know, around 101st through 121st & Memorial, focused really on the highly significant and under-appreciated 111th & Memorial area. Just thinking about the folks living over there that need some lovin...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #306 on: September 11, 2012, 05:18:23 pm »

I would like to know what is planned for oh, I don't know, around 101st through 121st & Memorial, focused really on the highly significant and under-appreciated 111th & Memorial area. Just thinking about the folks living over there that need some lovin...

Big stuff, Guido. Lots of fabulous demographics in there. Huge traffic counts. White flight....
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #307 on: September 11, 2012, 05:39:24 pm »

Ask the city of Bixby?
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #308 on: September 11, 2012, 06:15:56 pm »

Well, the citizens see the roads and the roads are a political issue come elections. On the other hand, our underground pipes are out of sight and out of mind even when chloramine is dumped down them...highly corrosive. Our air is contaminated, but that is still not a political motivator.

None of this crap is designed to continue to pay for itself. Lousy future planning....

I think that is the corner of Union and about 51st street. I-44 would be directly south. West Tulsa has never had great roads.

onward...through the fog
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #309 on: September 11, 2012, 06:34:52 pm »

I think that is the corner of Union and about 51st street. I-44 would be directly south. West Tulsa has never had great roads.

Pretty sure that's 51st and Lewis.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #310 on: September 11, 2012, 06:39:55 pm »

Pretty sure that's 51st and Lewis.

It was the last time this pic was posted here:

The white 62 Ford is turning from SB Lewis onto EB 51st. The black Corvair is heading north on Lewis.  The DX is where Walgreens is now.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #311 on: September 11, 2012, 06:55:29 pm »

Yeah, I'll buy that. Amazing how similar the two intersections are. Back then 3 of the four corners of any major intersection were gas stations. I got a set of Anchor-Hocking glassware with a fill up of Ethyl at 25cents a gallon back then.

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #312 on: September 11, 2012, 07:06:22 pm »

I suspect we had less than half the lane-miles to maintain fifty years ago. The problem isn't the budget, it's the sprawl that doesn't pay for itself.

What was the population 50 years ago?

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #313 on: September 11, 2012, 07:11:43 pm »

Ask the city of Bixby?

The west side of Memorial north of 111th is City of Tulsa.  The east side of Memorial south of 101st is Bixby.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #314 on: September 11, 2012, 07:27:36 pm »

I still want an electric trolley on rails in the middle of the street with convenient bus connections. That's cheap, easy, and effective. Every airport system I've seen has some sort of ridiculous guideway and requires grade separation, which is decidedly not cheap. Rails are a requirement to get the investment one would hope for out of a transit project. Rubber wheeled vehicles (in general) can change their route at any time and business owners are smart enough to know that.

I have seen some rubber wheeled electric buses that have enough battery to go off the wire for a few blocks in case of construction, traffic, or whatever. Sadly, they still scream "bus".

STOP THE PRESSES!  The Mayans were right the world will end in December.
(I agree with Nathan on something.)

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org