A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 12:43:10 pm
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vision 2025...Part 2?  (Read 263631 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #345 on: September 20, 2012, 10:40:56 am »

Which TWA bases did AA keep in that buy-out?  Seems like there was one at MCI or STL.

They closed the maintenance base at MCI some time back. I thought Alliance was mostly or completely 767 and 777, hence the closure with the outsourcing of widebody maintenance to Hong Kong.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #346 on: September 20, 2012, 11:14:51 am »

They closed the maintenance base at MCI some time back. I thought Alliance was mostly or completely 767 and 777, hence the closure with the outsourcing of widebody maintenance to Hong Kong.

Seems like they had a base at LGA or JFK as well. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #347 on: September 20, 2012, 06:52:30 pm »

That would tend to indicate one of two things:

Either AA has been carrying far too much payroll all these years (doubtful) or they aren't really planning on ramping up next gen 737 and 777/787 maintenance at this base.

I'm starting to wonder if they are looking for a suitor to buy out a trimmed down AA without as many obligations.

Ed, what say you?

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with this. 

Now remember, my view is from the trenches.  On numerous occasions, we've learned of AA's plans by reading them in the Tulsa World, though on one particularly notable instance, we read the upcoming proposal on the men's room wall.  Management isn't big on sharing their plans with us.

My work has picked up in the last month.  My main job is the Honeywell Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning Computer.  In a normal month, I'd see 3 or 4 each week, yet through the spring and summer, the numbers were more like 3 or 4 a month.  I think there were none in July.  Summer is usually busy for us since more people are traveling and the company wants to get flights out on time.  There have been summers that bring 12 hour work days Monday through Friday, with another 8 hours on Saturday. That's a lot of hours.

I have no idea what will happen after the RIF (reduction in force) and the early retirements.  We're losing 10-12 people out of a crew of about 60 due to those early retirements, and we'll undoubtedly lose a few more.  The lowest seniority employee in the shop has about 15 years with AA. 

AA is modernizing the fleet by purchasing 737s to replace the MD80s.  Some of you probably know more details of that than I do, as my view is strictly limited.  I do know that the new aircraft use an updated EGPWS computer that I argued should be maintained in-house, but the final decision is far above my pay grade.  Don't think for a minute that I did this in order to save AA money - though that's clearly possible - but instead I was arguing to keep my job.  Chances are I'd stay in the shop, but I actually like working ground prox and didn't want to move.  One of the union guys said that the union isn't going to bat unless it involves several jobs rather than only one.  That's fine, but I think that if they argued to keep even a single job, the multiples would be far easier to keep.

OK, one last point and I stop rambling.  I've mentioned this previously, but a refresher doesn't hurt.  Modern avionics are moving away from individual boxes toward fully integrated systems.  On 727s, there were separate boxes for the autopilot roll, pitch, and yaw channels.  They were combined in one box for the DC10s, MD80s and similar aircraft.  Now, you may have the autopilot combined with navigation displays driven from the same box.  From the maintenance point of view, this requires dedicated and very expensive automated test equipment that costs in the millions.  Many airlines just send their equipment back to the manufacturer rather than invest in the test equipment.  AA chose to purchase the test equipment (with assistance from the airport trust, I'm told) so we're ideally situated to take on some outside work if our management people can be convinced that it's profitable.

"May you live in interesting times."  It's a Chinese proverb that can be interpreted as either a blessing or a curse.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #348 on: September 21, 2012, 01:59:52 pm »

Ed W.

If you are talking about either the IRIS 2000 or the ATEC-6  test systems those were purchased with Vision 2025 funds.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
shadows
City Father

« Reply #349 on: September 21, 2012, 05:06:41 pm »

Vision 2025: In the upcoming vote on the extension of sales taxes the process is being considered to pass a municipal ordinance under the emergency clause calling for an election.  The municipal ordinance statue requires defining the clause as what is the emergency.  How can this clause be used to define the emergency when it must apply to a health and welfare emergency that at the time is unkownwn?HuhHuhHuh         

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #350 on: September 23, 2012, 05:18:31 pm »

In the Sunday Tulsa world is an article of the grinders that was purchased from the taxes collected from the working poor to grind the blades on the jet motors which was being done by the workers.  Do any of the intellectuals posting on this thread realize that the workers that were hand grinding the blades lost their jobs?  These workers were replaced by taxing the working poor.
In the pending bankruptcy this grinder will be listed as an asset.

The children, retires, working poor who will contribute to this should be protect by the city, who buy this machinery, should retain title to it and lease it to AA on one of their privileged leases for a dollar a year.

It is noted in the article’s explanation the cost of the bonds issue and interest has risen to $12,000,000 dollars.  This, one assumes will be paid up front to the investors who are paid first. (From their left pocket to the right pocket)

Now if the airlines bankruptcy falters or moves and the city has to find another leaser to lease the setup for a $1.00 a year, no property taxes, personal industrial taxes or sales taxes, with the machinery all installed, eligible for “quality jobs give away”, surely some one would be interested.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:21:39 pm by shadows » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #351 on: September 23, 2012, 07:48:33 pm »

Do any of the intellectuals posting on this thread realize that the workers that were hand grinding the blades lost their jobs? 

How far back in technology and the industrial revolution would you like to go?  Technology has always eliminated menial jobs but opened new ones operating and maintaining the new technology. The Cotton Gin is the first one that popped into my mind.

shadows
City Father

« Reply #352 on: September 24, 2012, 06:41:07 pm »

How far back in technology and the industrial revolution would you like to go?  Technology has always eliminated menial jobs but opened new ones operating and maintaining the new technology. The Cotton Gin is the first one that popped into my mind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The invention of the cotton gin, by a black slave was the beginning of the industrial revelation which also increased the slave population to some 4,000,000 slaves and unemployment flourished in the North as the super rich of the South went into the production of the fiber which led to the grounds for the civil war of 1860 claiming the lives of one casually in ever four participants.

The head Union chief general struggled to turn the government from a republic to a dictatorship during his command as Rome did.

It all happened because technology.  Could this happen again?

Even the sands of the seas are numbered but fear yea not for your life is worth that of many sparrows.           

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #353 on: September 26, 2012, 10:12:40 am »

Deal on Dams

http://kwgs.com/post/deal-dams

Tulsa locks in commitments for two dam projects if Vision 2’s quality of life portion passes in November.

One is Zink Dam, at a cost of $41-million. The other is a south Tulsa dam. The City of Tulsa has pledged half of the funding for that project. Its price tag would be $30-million.

City Council Chair G.T. Bynum tells KWGS, the City of Jenks and the Creek Nation have agreed to partner with Tulsa for the other half of the south low water dam expense.

Tulsa would receive $158-million, total, in the quality of life funding from Vision 2.  $71-million would be earmarked for the two low water dam projects

So I believe this will be pushed to help get South Tulsa and mid-towners to vote for V2.  The trouble will arise as the rest of Tulsa County will believe this is what their money will go to as well and BA/Owasso/West Tulsa will vote against it.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #354 on: September 26, 2012, 11:21:39 am »

Deal on Dams

So I believe this will be pushed to help get South Tulsa and mid-towners to vote for V2.  The trouble will arise as the rest of Tulsa County will believe this is what their money will go to as well and BA/Owasso/West Tulsa will vote against it.

So, not satisfied with crapping on the Vision brand, V2 now seeksto make V2 into River Tax II?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #355 on: September 26, 2012, 11:43:34 am »

The reason why the River tax keeps failing is that water makes you stupid. Look at surfers.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #356 on: September 26, 2012, 03:47:53 pm »

Gosh, it looks like they're trying to rope the suburbs into paying for their river projects....again...with predictable results.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #357 on: September 26, 2012, 03:50:59 pm »

Deal on Dams

I dunno, Townsend, I think the entire county is going to vote against it... except for a couple hundred--chamber employees, their families, and TyPros leadership.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #358 on: October 03, 2012, 08:16:33 am »

Per Bynum's TW FB post, the mayor signed off on the Council's Vision 2 resolution.

Is there a list of everything they resolved and who resolved it?
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #359 on: October 03, 2012, 09:42:57 am »

I hope they added a unicorn petting zoo
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org