A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 01:21:58 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riverparks Mile Markers  (Read 2112 times)
MidTownLifer
« on: December 27, 2009, 12:44:42 am »

Prior to the Riverparks trail expansion, we had mile markers on both east and west banks. It's FAIRLY easy to estimate how far we've run / walked / biked if we look at the street signs on the east bank of the river. But, since the trail is so curvy, it's tough to know EXACTLY what we've run.

Does anyone know if those old mile markers will make a return? Or is there some reliable way for me to know when to "tick" that mile on my next run? I want to calibrate my [brand placement omitted] digi-pedometer and don't want to miss a beat. Training for my first half marathon and every 1/10th of a mile will count (eventually). Even some sort of a downloadable map OR something I can load into a digital device would be great. 

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 01:17:08 am »

Prior to the Riverparks trail expansion, we had mile markers on both east and west banks. It's FAIRLY easy to estimate how far we've run / walked / biked if we look at the street signs on the east bank of the river. But, since the trail is so curvy, it's tough to know EXACTLY what we've run.

Does anyone know if those old mile markers will make a return? Or is there some reliable way for me to know when to "tick" that mile on my next run? I want to calibrate my [brand placement omitted] digi-pedometer and don't want to miss a beat. Training for my first half marathon and every 1/10th of a mile will count (eventually). Even some sort of a downloadable map OR something I can load into a digital device would be great. 
If you have a Symbian based Nokia phone, you can use Sports Tracker. It uses your phone's GPS to track your run/walk/bike ride/whatever and lets you upload them to the Sports Tracker website so you can track how much you've run each day and see on a map what route you ran, your split times, and more. It even has the (more creepily Orwellian) capability of uploading your progress in real time so friends/whoever can monitor your run from home.

I use it for tracking my bike riding. I have a clip to hold my phone on my handlebars. If I was a runner, I'd use it with an armband for sure.

I'm sure there are equivalents for other smartphones, although I can't name them since I don't use them.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
charky
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 03:58:14 am »

I had posted this in another thread...but there are some new half mile markers on the east side that run from Mile 0 at the 11th St. Bridge/Southwest Blvd...southward to (I think) the Mile 3.5 marker. The old wooden mile markers are gone...look for the new circular markers embedded into the asphalt trail.  I haven't run on the west side of the river in awhile...but I think the wooden markers are still there.

I've been running with a Garmin Forerunner 205 and love it. I paid $200 2 years ago...but can find it now for around $140. Very accurate...easy to use...and you can download the data to your computer. Neat piece of technology.

CoffeeBean
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 11:59:43 am »

The wooden markers are still up on the west bank. 

MidTownLifer
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 09:45:09 pm »

Cool, thanks Charky. I'll look for those Easter Eggs Smiley and will probably invest in the cool technology of the GPS Watch / run tracker.

Cheers - see you all on the trail soon...come on Spring, come on!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org