A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2024, 03:39:46 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Apartment Managers Legally Responsible for Snow Removal?  (Read 14534 times)
m2violin
Activist

« on: December 28, 2009, 01:59:02 pm »

Just wondering . . . is there a city ordinance requiring apartment managers to remove snow/ice from common areas (sidewalks, parking lots) in their complex within a certain time frame after a snow storm?  Do residents have recourse if their apartment management fails to remove snow/ice?   Huh

My apartment management has done absolutely nothing to remove snow/ice from common sidewalks or parking lots.  There is a 3' snow drift outside my building.  My neighbors and I (as well as my newspaper carrier) have had to wade through this drift to get in/out of our apartments.  There is a car in the parking lot that presumably got stuck when the storm hit.  Evidently our management has done nothing to get the car moved or towed, so we're having to navigate around the car in order to get out of the complex.  The parking lot is so icy and treacherous the garbage truck didn't even make its usual Monday morning rounds, so the garbage is piling up. Angry

Any of you Legal Eagles out there . . . do I have any legal recourse?  Can I sic Code Enforcement on my apartment manager to force them to do their job?

Support the keystone of the arts-the Tulsa Symphony Orchestra.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 02:25:44 pm »

As far as I know there is no requirement to remove snow/ice from any private property.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 02:29:01 pm »

As far as I know there is no requirement to remove snow/ice from any private property.

I bet their liablility insurance company has some sort of fine print in their policy language that they are required to remove it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
waterboy
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 03:01:50 pm »

If you were renting a house, would you expect the landlord to clear your sidewalk and driveway? Probably not.

Its bad pr for the complex and I suppose it could cause them to be included in a lawsuit should someone get hurt as a result but really, how many snow removal people are there in this city?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 03:17:22 pm »

If you were renting a house, would you expect the landlord to clear your sidewalk and driveway?

Sure.  Also vacuum the rugs, do the dishes........

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 03:20:20 pm »

If you were renting a house, would you expect the landlord to clear your sidewalk and driveway? Probably not.

It's not the responsibility of a landlord to mow the lawn of a house, but it is if it's an apartment.
Snow removal would be treated the same as lawn care. 

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 03:27:11 pm »

Took this from the OK Landlord/Tenant Act, comes from 41 O.S. 2001

§118. Duties of landlord and tenant
A. A landlord shall at all times during the tenancy:
1.  Except  in  the  case  of  a  single-family  residence,  keep  all  common  areas  of  his  building,
grounds, facilities and appurtenances in a clean, safe and sanitary condition;
2. Make all repairs and do whatever is necessary to put and keep the tenant’s dwelling unit and
premises in a fit and habitable condition;
3.  Maintain  in  good  and  safe  working  order  and  condition  all  electrical,  plumbing,  sanitary,
heating, ventilating, air-conditioning and other facilities and appliances, including elevators, sup-
plied or required to be supplied by him;
4.  Except  in  the  case  of  one-or  two-family  residences  or  where  provided  by  a  governmental
entity, provide and maintain appropriate receptacles and conveniences for the removal of ashes,
garbage, rubbish and other waste incidental to the occupancy of the dwelling unit and arrange for
the frequent removal of such wastes; and
5. Except in the case of a single-family residence or where the service is supplied by direct and
independently-metered utility connections to the dwelling unit, supply running water and reason-
able amounts of hot water at all times and reasonable heat.
B. The landlord and tenant of a dwelling unit may agree by a conspicuous writing independent
of the rental agreement that the tenant is to perform specified repairs, maintenance tasks, altera-
tions or remodeling.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 04:48:34 pm »

While there may not be a specific municipal code requirement, the owner is still liable for any harm that occurs because of negligent conditions in the common areas, unless the lease provides otherwise.  The same is true for a shop owner who does not clear his storefront.  It's just the way the common law of torts works.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 05:21:07 pm »

While there may not be a specific municipal code requirement, the owner is still liable for any harm that occurs because of negligent conditions in the common areas, unless the lease provides otherwise.  The same is true for a shop owner who does not clear his storefront.  It's just the way the common law of torts works.

Nope. Snow and ice has repeatedly been adjudicated as an open and obvious danger as a matter of law and the property owner owing no legal duty to protect those from that danger. See, Dover v. W.H. Braum, Inc., 2005 OK 22, 111 P.3d 243, Buck v. Del City Apartments, Inc., 1967 OK 81, 431 P.2d 360, 366. In Dover, the Court observed that "[w]here there is no act on the part of the owner or occupant of the premises creating a greater hazard than that brought about by natural causes, dangers created by the elements, such as the forming of ice and the falling of snow, are universally known, and all persons on the property are expected to assume the burden of protecting themselves from them." Dover , 2005 OK 22,¶8 (Emphasis in original).

Incidentally, how is the natural accumulation of snow and ice a "negligent condition[]" created by the property owner?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 05:34:46 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 05:56:47 pm »

Where I grew up (suburban Philly, PA) there was an ordinance that the sidewalks had to be cleaned full width down to the paving within (I believe) 24 or 48 hours after the snow stopped falling.  I don't remember how melting and subsequent re-freezing was handled.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 07:40:51 pm »

Incidentally, how is the natural accumulation of snow and ice a "negligent condition[]" created by the property owner?

It's not.  But repeatedly failing to remove it as it gets slicker with melting and re-freezing cycles can be construed as a danger caused by negligence and that DOES lead to many slip and fall lawsuits that raise insurance premiums for all property owners, whether or not the original natural accumulation is a negligent condition.  Sort of like someone slipping on bird crap in the parking lot at Warehouse Market and gonking their head or someone tripping over fallen leaves on a commercial property. Where's the liablity in those cases, both are natural accumulation?  How safe is a property owner expected to keep their property and how vigilant do they have to be to look for every single possible danger to a patron, resident, or visitor?

Regardless if the "original accumulation" is out of the hands of the owner, people still sue and it still forces an insurance company to pay a defense attorney to get a plaintiff's attorney off their back.  I also suspect there are a lot of quick small settlements out there that street lawyers take daily and move along to the next easy mark.

You know the insurance defense industry a lot better than I do, am I very far off base?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 07:57:25 pm »

It's not.  But repeatedly failing to remove it as it gets slicker with melting and re-freezing cycles can be construed as a danger caused by negligence and that DOES lead to many slip and fall lawsuits that raise insurance premiums for all property owners, whether or not the original natural accumulation is a negligent condition.  Sort of like someone slipping on bird crap in the parking lot at Warehouse Market and gonking their head or someone tripping over fallen leaves on a commercial property. Where's the liablity in those cases, both are natural accumulation?  How safe is a property owner expected to keep their property and how vigilant do they have to be to look for every single possible danger to a patron, resident, or visitor?

Regardless if the "original accumulation" is out of the hands of the owner, people still sue and it still forces an insurance company to pay a defense attorney to get a plaintiff's attorney off their back.  I also suspect there are a lot of quick small settlements out there that street lawyers take daily and move along to the next easy mark.

You know the insurance defense industry a lot better than I do, am I very far off base?

Not at all off base. I must have dealt with 5-6 of these ice/rain slip and fall cases a year and rarely did I get summary judgment despite the express language from the above-referenced cases. The problem I have is that a property owner is damned if they do and damned if they don't when it comes to clearing ice or snow. If they don't clean, they get sued for allowing a dangerous situation to worsen. If they do clean, and don't do a very good job, they get sued for either negligent performance or creating a "greater hazard". CF might have a different take.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
USRufnex
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 08:25:02 pm »

Nothing in my lease covers snow removal.

Not surprising there's no liability for "natural accumulation" because that would not only protect a do-nothing landlord, it should also protect a good samaritan tenant from being sued because they didn't do a good enough job shoveling and somebody slipped and fell...

I remember maintenance people in Illinois who'd start up the snowblower and clear out the sidewalks directly in front of the building and maybe a common walkway in the back... the outside staircase in the back?... no dice cuz you'd have to be stupid to go up and down a buncha slick wooden stairs in the middle of winter-- use the front stairs, dummy....

God, I miss basic Chicago snow-removal etiquette right now......
http://chicagoist.com/2008/02/05/ask_chicagoist_26.php

Chicago Municipal Code 10-8-190 explicitly says that you cannot be sued if you put forth a good faith effort to clear your walk from snow and ice. Specifically, "any person who removes snow or ice from the public sidewalk or street, shall not, as a result of his acts or omissions in such removal, be liable for civil damages." The only time that would not apply is if the person performed "acts or omissions amounting to willful or wanton misconduct in such snow or ice removal."
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:16:37 pm by USRufnex » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 08:45:19 pm »

God, I miss basic Chicago snow-removal etiquette right now......

Tulsa just doesn't get enough snow to be snow wise.

USRufnex
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 09:07:28 pm »

Tulsa also doesn't have enough pedestrians for sidewalk snow removal to be anything other than an afterthought...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org