A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 10:54:35 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Police Chief Talks About Cuts  (Read 76886 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2010, 11:19:54 pm »

I know the tickets are already really expensive, but really, if you are going to $150 for a ticket, you won't pay $151? 

I think the BOK could pay $1 out of that $150 for the police.  If they are cutting it that close, they will be in trouble eventually.

TheTed
City Father

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2010, 12:18:11 am »

I think the BOK could pay $1 out of that $150 for the police.  If they are cutting it that close, they will be in trouble eventually.
As we hear all the police doom and gloom, then I see dozens of officers twiddling their thumbs for hours outside the BOK Center, I think that all BOK Center detail should be cut before any substantive cuts are made to TPD.

Why is it that dozens of cops are needed outside the arena? So they can spend 20 minutes directing traffic? I've been outside the BOK during events frequently, and I've seen lots of thumb-twiddling, and a little traffic direction, but nothing to justify paying hours of OT for dozens of cops. The traffic directing cops aren't even needed, as the post-event traffic levels are still not that high in comparison to the ridiculously large downtown street capacity.

I'll take my chances of a slow police reaction to a riot at the Hannah Montana concert if we can save some more essential TPD services than BOK Center detail.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2010, 09:26:37 am »

BOK Center work is an overtime cash cow. IT is estimated that the cost of security, traffic direction and barricades for downtown events is $500,000 of TPD's budget. If for-profit places like the BOK center had to cover their own costs, they would hire a handful of off-duties for a fraction of the $1/per person rate and handle traffic just fine.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2010, 09:34:14 am »

I see police officers putting out barricades for all the bike rides and runs. Surely we could have lowered paid workers do that work as well.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2010, 09:38:45 am »

Two questions are raised here.  One of them is that Public Works was showing expenses in their street budget for barricades and etc. for things like the Route 66 Marathon, Tulsa Run, etc.  So now we have the TPD involved in that as well?

Seems to me the last time I promoted an event which required police security that we had to write a check for the overtime security.  I could be wrong about that, but I don't think the city gave that to us gratis.  Therefore, I'm thinking the BOK or the promoter of events there is likely paying for OT.  If they are not, then that is something else which needs to be looked at.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TeeDub
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2010, 10:22:24 am »

From the 2008 "Annual Report"
- 822 sworn police personnel
- $84M operating budget; $1.2M capital budget

$84 million?   Really?   They can't find another way to cut costs?
http://www.tulsapolice.org/service/2008_annual_report.pdf

The finance department gave up almost $1600 in magazine subscriptions!   Why can't everyone dig this deep and do their part?

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?s=11392169&clienttype=printable
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:28:15 am by TeeDub » Logged
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2010, 10:54:48 am »

I asked this earlier in the thread, but no answer. There is a $3 surcharge on water bills (I believe) that goes to EMSA. All firefighters are trained in emergency medical response. Couldn't some of that money be reallocated to firefighters?
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2010, 12:59:29 pm »

Arent we then asking departments that have the fiscal responsibility to operate within their budgets to subsidize other departments that dont?

When you rob Peter to cover Paul's heroin habit, arent you sending the message that financial responsibility is optional?

Where's the "Yeah, we overspent. Here's how we will fix it" ? 
Instead we just get "You need us so you just better find the money"

The bigger kids stealing the littler kid's lunch money isnt going to be a good long-term solution.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2010, 01:05:28 pm »

Arent we then asking departments that have the fiscal responsibility to operate within their budgets to subsidize other departments that dont?

When you rob Peter to cover Paul's heroin habit, arent you sending the message that financial responsibility is optional?

Where's the "Yeah, we overspent. Here's how we will fix it" ? 
Instead we just get "You need us so you just better find the money"

The bigger kids stealing the littler kid's lunch money isnt going to be a good long-term solution.

I agree with your point, though a slight factual correction is in order.  Departments didn't over-spend their budgets, revenue is falling shorter than expected and it's requiring a commensurate cut in spending.  Wow, if the Federal government could just get that idea now.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2010, 01:31:07 pm »

There has been some discussion regarding the EMSA money as well, there is now a surplus, somewhere betwen 3 - 5 million is what I've heard.  I agree, that's another choice.  Again, there is money out there, it's just being ignored by the Mayor and a few of the councilors.  Several councilors are pushing for alternative sources of funding, to at least provide some short term relieft.  That allows time for contract negotiations and restructuring in a fair and legal way.

Secondly, here is a quote from Westcott in an email to me.  
 "other Councilors and I tried to persuade Mayor Taylor to charge the BOK Center for TPD security and overtime.  We were unsuccessful"  Of course my follow up question was so why haven't your tried again . . .  There is no doubt the PD is bearing the entire cost of security detail on the BOK (at overtime rates) and yes, Conan, you are right, you probably did have to pay for your security, everyone does expcet the BOK and we have Taylor to thank for that.  BUT I believe that is a decision that should have already been reversed.  

My personal frustration is there is no talk from the mayor about solutions other than layoff, demote, cut pay . . . . instead of just focusing on that why aren't we focusing on ways to create money in the short term, then address those issues in the contracts.

I'm in agreement that the police has to bear a share of the burden, but there shouldn't be such a big burden to bear, if the city would put their priorities in the right place.  

Looks like the sales tax figures are right on the City's projection (it's 40k more than expected) so does anyone know if that means a 2.2% cut or 4.4%?  I'm sure if I put a few articles together I could figure that out, but I don't have time right now.  You guys always seem to be on top of that kind of stuff.  

tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2010, 01:35:33 pm »

If we don't want to use the EMSA surplus, that's fine, then give it back to the people that paid it and do it immediately.  Why was there no CUT CUT CUT for EMSA when they said they couldn't afford to operate?  Did the people vote to put a $3 fee onto our bill to fund EMSA?  Why was their quick response to find additional money sources for EMSA but that can't happen now for public safety.

Also, I do believe public works puts out the barricades and such, the police are there during the events for traffic control (runs, parades, etc.)

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2010, 02:12:37 pm »

Concessions:  TPD trades in old Crown Vic's for new low-speed pursuit vehicle:

Ok, so I made part of that up.
It's actually for another thread, but I couldnt resist.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2010, 02:41:10 pm »

If we don't want to use the EMSA surplus, that's fine, then give it back to the people that paid it and do it immediately.  Why was there no CUT CUT CUT for EMSA when they said they couldn't afford to operate?  Did the people vote to put a $3 fee onto our bill to fund EMSA?  Why was their quick response to find additional money sources for EMSA but that can't happen now for public safety.

Also, I do believe public works puts out the barricades and such, the police are there during the events for traffic control (runs, parades, etc.)

Which begs the question, where is that surplus money going now?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2010, 02:44:21 pm »

Concessions:  TPD trades in old Crown Vic's for new low-speed pursuit vehicle:

Ok, so I made part of that up.
It's actually for another thread, but I couldnt resist.

That would be perfect for pursuit of other electric cars and golf carts.  Awesome!

tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2010, 03:19:17 pm »

Which begs the question, where is that surplus money going now?

These are the questions being asked of our mayor and councilors and we aren't getting answers.  I have had several emails back and forth with Westcott and he hasn't addressed any of my specific questions regarding funding.  Period, nothing. 

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org