A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2024, 02:45:27 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC News presents... " 24 hours in Tulsa"  (Read 16455 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: December 28, 2009, 09:20:52 pm »

The BBC World Service will broadcast '24 Hours in Tulsa' between Tuesday 29 December and Monday 04 January.
It will also feature in Crossing Continents on BBC Radio 4 at 1102 GMT on 14 January.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/8417565.stm 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:26:15 pm »

Thanks artist. You continue to be a great advocate for Tulsa.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:33:21 am »

Thanks artist. You continue to be a great advocate for Tulsa.

Thank you.  Smiley

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 09:55:31 am »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ecz8rd0ZpU
[/youtube]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44763782/ns/local_news-plattsburgh_ny/t/prosecutor-man-prepared-do-battle-against-police/
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 01:42:45 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 12:19:24 pm »

Anyone know when this is going to air?  I have directv and have searched my guide trying different searches but to no availe.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
jchiarito
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 01:38:18 pm »

I'd like to hear it myself (never had the chance to hear the final version).

I think the BBC iplayer allows you to listen to the last 7 days of BBC TV and radio. I'll see if I can find it there and post a mention here.

Ciao,
Jay

P.S. Patric, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, (just be careful of libeling, as you already did).

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 01:58:14 pm »

Jay,

A search of Patric's posts will reveal a skepticism and outright disdain at times for law enforcement and law enforcers.  Not sure the reason. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jchiarito
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 02:08:15 pm »

Hey Conan, et al.,

Thanks for your reply. 

And yeah, I completely understand how some people hate cops (I hate 'em too).

Please just know, that like most Tulsa Police officers, I try to do the best I can everyday.

Hopefully, I've also done a decent job with this BBC programme.
Or at the least, I've offered a laugh or two, even at my own expense.

Tulsa is a great place with even greater people...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 03:22:38 pm »

A more thorough search will reveal skepticism of most any governmental or corporate abuses, ranging from city spending (Public Works, anyone?) to government accountability (Lets turn Bells into a parking lot!) to intimidating INCOG members who dont play ball with developers.
If you want to take a couple of posts out of thousands personally, thats fine, but chances are myself and others  here wont dwell on it much as the range of topics here move pretty fluidly.

You seem to home in on any newswire stories that involve bad cop behavior, well that, acorn lighting and LED billboards as well  Wink .  I'm not saying it's good or bad, just making the comment that you seem to have a skepticism for authority which seems to be more keen than most of us when it comes to culling "bad cop" stories.  I'm glad you have shined the light on the abuses you have, especially on the OHP.  That sounds like an out of control little fiefdom. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
brianh
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 04:04:27 pm »

So just to be clear, this is not a TV program right? This is just audio like a podcast and that's what TUalum wasn't able to see it on his TV guide?
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 04:07:35 pm »

Jay,

A search of Patric's posts will reveal a skepticism and outright disdain at times for law enforcement and law enforcers.  Not sure the reason. 

My guess would be the bright lights.  Ever get pulled over at night?  Those things have crazy glare!

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 04:57:03 pm »

I wish more police officers would come in here. Welcome jay.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
MichaelBates
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 05:21:53 pm »

So just to be clear, this is not a TV program right? This is just audio like a podcast and that's what TUalum wasn't able to see it on his TV guide?

That's right. It's a radio broadcast -- BBC World Service, which broadcasts via shortwave in the Eastern Hemisphere and is rebroadcast over many public radio stations in the US, as well as being streamed over the Internet. (He may have been thinking of BBC America, which is a cable/satellite TV channel.)

In Tulsa, you can hear BBC World Service overnight on KWGS 89.5. It's available 24/7 on KWTU 88.7-HD3, if you happen to have an HD radio.

From my blog entry on the program:

The program will air live in the time slot for "The Wednesday Documentary" on Wednesday, December 30, 2009, at 4:05 am, 9:05 am, 2:05 pm, and 7:05 pm, Central Standard Time, and it should be available online for about a week thereafter via the BBC iPlayer at this link.
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 09:37:03 pm »

Thanks Michael for clearing it up for me.  Makes sense as to why I couldn't find it now.  Welcome Officer Jay.  We could use some opinions and thoughts from actual police officers over certain things that are happening in our city instead of BS theories, and people "on the inside".

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
izmophonik
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 05:09:38 pm »

Here is the link to the podcast.  You can download it as an .mp3 as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/documentaries/2009/12/091229_24_hours_in_tulsa.shtml
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org