A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 04:31:20 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitter cold temperatures  (Read 6926 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: January 04, 2010, 08:29:07 am »

I have been cold for almost two weeks now and heard that the temperature is going to be around zero on Thursday.

That is insane. I know we close schools and libraries for ice and snow, but do we close them for ridiculously freezing temperatures? I can't imagine having a kid wait for a bus on a day like that.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 08:57:55 am »

This global warming sucks.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rwarn17588
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 09:08:11 am »

That is insane. I know we close schools and libraries for ice and snow, but do we close them for ridiculously freezing temperatures?

Yes.

There are no hard and fast rules, but basically wherever I've lived, if the temperature drops to "ridiculous" levels and is downright life-threatening, schools will call a snow day. And they should.

In my case, where I grew up in bitterly cold central Illinois, an overnight low of 19-below was even too much for even the most hardened school superintendent to abide.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 09:23:11 am »

Lived in Rhinelander, WI.  School was open below zero.

(Also walked up hill both ways and ate sand.)
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 10:00:08 am »

This global warming sucks.

Too bad climate and weather are not the same thing. Tongue

---Robert
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 10:05:48 am »

Can't tell those 'Inhoffers' that...

Sorry Conan, not lumping you in that bunch cause I'm sure you're being partially sarcastic with your comment.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Johnboy976
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 10:09:42 am »

Brother, the school had us eating sand because they were able to expand their walls at a very cheap price, with all the concrete we were able to produce (I don't think I have to tell you exactly from which area of our body the concrete came from).
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 10:17:30 am »

That's pipe-bursting cold, and it will especially hurt low-income and elderly in drafty homes who can barely afford to keep themselves (less their pipes) warm.

* 7_day.jpg (58.29 KB - downloaded 376 times.)

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 10:19:03 am »

Yeah, it's all that warm air that's melting the arctic and drowning polar bears which is over us right now.

Look at it this way, might also mean better control of the insect population in the spring with a good hard week+ freeze.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 11:06:08 am »

Yeah Conan. Just because global "warming" hasn't existed in the past 10 years and that the temperatures around the world are presently crashing down (and we won't get into the recent e-mail issue) is no reason to poke fun at global warming.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:08:23 am by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
tulsascoot
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 11:08:41 am »

Yes.

There are no hard and fast rules, but basically wherever I've lived, if the temperature drops to "ridiculous" levels and is downright life-threatening, schools will call a snow day. And they should.

In my case, where I grew up in bitterly cold central Illinois, an overnight low of 19-below was even too much for even the most hardened school superintendent to abide.

The dude abides

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 12:00:46 pm »

Lived in Rhinelander, WI.  School was open below zero.

(Also walked up hill both ways and ate sand.)

You forgot "barefoot".

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 01:27:03 pm »

You forgot "barefoot".

We wore sandals with tacks glued inside of them actually.

I wore my snow mobile suit to school on some of the worst days.  I wasn't alone in doing that. 90 degree below 0 windchill factors are not a good time.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 01:51:50 pm »

It was so cold our words froze. We had to stand by the heater to hear what was being said.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 02:01:50 pm »

It was so cold our words froze. We had to stand by the heater to hear what was being said.

Got any "your momma" jokes?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org