A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 02:35:28 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitter cold temperatures  (Read 6913 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 02:38:59 pm »

Got any "your momma" jokes?

"Your momma is so fat, last time she wore a red dress all the kids yelled 'Hey, KoolAid!'"

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 02:48:12 pm »

It's the result of El Nino which also caused the unusually cold winter in 2000-2001 where snow was on the ground in Tulsa for over a month between mid-December and late-January.  It appears the weather pattern should finally return to 'normal' next week with high temps. in the low to mid 40's which is average for January in NE Oklahoma.  I imagine we'll see more snow periodically through March and then possibly an above average severe weather/tornado season in the spring.

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 03:56:25 pm »

December 16, 2008 schools were closed for ridiculous cold weather. How do I know this? Because that's the day some punk decided to break into our house and steal our stuff.  Cry
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 04:13:41 pm »

Got any "your momma" jokes?

Your momma was so fat she broke her leg and gravy ran out.....

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 05:29:34 pm »

Ok Patric.
I wanna see that screenshot about August 3rd.  Cool

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 05:19:00 pm »

Well Tulsa Public and Broken Arrow Schools have given in to the threat of bitter cold weather and closed for the rest of the week.
Dang Global warming !

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 06:42:15 pm »

Well Tulsa Public and Broken Arrow Schools have given in to the threat of bitter cold weather and closed for the rest of the week.
Dang Global warming !

I wonder if they figured out how much money would be saved not running the heaters in below zero weather?

Hopefully they leave the faucets dripping at the schools.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 07:01:52 pm »

I wonder if they figured out how much money would be saved not running the heaters in below zero weather?

Water bill will go up.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 08:38:00 pm »

Dripping faucets work when the water, drawn from below the frost line, is still warm enough not to freeze inside the pipes.  In a large unheated structure there is too much chance long pipe runs wont retain that ground heat and eventually freeze, so they will have to leave some heat on anyway.

This would be a nice weekend to sit back and catch up on a movie like "The Day After Tomorrow" or "Ice Station Zebra", think warm thoughts and pray our above-ground electrical system makes it through another winter.

Am I cheering you up yet?
Something I stumbled across earlier:

Lets finally give Roland Emmerich some credit;  It's one of the most dramatic examples of climate change in Earth's history, and scientists now say it happened almost entirely in one year's time...

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/08/01/abrupt-climate-change.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 10:46:04 am »

Yeah it's cold but I can remember going to school when it was colder. 

* 0image001.jpg (83.64 KB - downloaded 264 times.)

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 12:24:07 pm »

Yeah it's cold but I can remember going to school when it was colder. 
Once when I was in school and it got this cold, the diesel fuel in the buses gelled up, so they had to cancel school.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 01:09:54 pm »

Once when I was in school and it got this cold, the diesel fuel in the buses gelled up, so they had to cancel school.

Are you kidding?  I'm so old when I went to school, we had buses like on the Flintstones and we had to provide the power...barefoot no less  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 01:31:01 pm »

Are you kidding?  I'm so old when I went to school, we had buses like on the Flintstones and we had to provide the power...barefoot no less  Wink
I'm not quite that old. Only the rural school districts still had foot powered buses when I was growing up. (I lived in town as a young lad)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
joiei
City Father

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 02:54:50 pm »

When I worked at a ski resort, this was not cold.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org