A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 04:30:38 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neighborhood Electric Vehicles  (Read 2924 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: January 07, 2010, 02:03:04 pm »

It's not just for golf carts anymore, it's a real industry:

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/11/09/oklahomans-battling-over-the-cost-of-nevs-should-they-be-free/

Keith Andrews, president of Fairplay Cars, sent in some background information about a controversy brewing in Oklahoma that, at least for now, makes some NEVs effectively free. The state offers a huge tax credit towards purchasing an NEV, but the Oklahoma Tax Commission is campaigning to "black list a significant number of street legal electric cars from the states healthy tax credits now in place,"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborhood_electric_vehicle
http://green.autoblog.com/category/nev-neighborhood-electric-vehicle/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 02:09:23 pm »

Why should the government subsidize virtually all of the purchase price, especially when we are dealing with such severe budget shortfalls at every governmental level? 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 02:38:05 pm »

I have one of these...

http://www.gemcar.com/

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 02:41:33 pm »

They are large subsidies because they are meant to be towards the purchase of a vehicle that costs 2 or 3 times what the NEV's cost. These things exist in a loophole and I support the state wanting to close it.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 03:57:17 pm »

They are large subsidies because they are meant to be towards the purchase of a vehicle that costs 2 or 3 times what the NEV's cost. These things exist in a loophole and I support the state wanting to close it.

So that brings up the obvious question as to why the state should subsidize larger, more expensive vehicles in addition to these NEVs. 

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 09:17:07 pm »

So that brings up the obvious question as to why the state should subsidize larger, more expensive vehicles in addition to these NEVs. 

Social direction by the government.  Electric vehicles have been declared good.  You will help pay to make them replace fossil fuel vehicles even if you don't want or buy one.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 12:49:09 pm »

I have one of these...

http://www.gemcar.com/

Hey thats what they used to give away on Whammy. The all new Press your luck show on GSN.
Do you like it ? and where can you drive it ?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 08:30:59 pm »

Hey thats what they used to give away on Whammy. The all new Press your luck show on GSN.

C'mon.. no whammys... no whammys... no whammys... STOP
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:02:32 pm »

It plugs into a regular outlet and takes about two hours for a full charge. It goes 25 MPH and has a range of about 25 miles between charges. A 10 minute charge gets it about 40 % charged.

It is street legal. I drive it from east Tulsa to downtown on ozone alert days. I usually take 15th street to avoid traffic.

Power is nothing till you use it.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 10:14:25 pm »

The Wheego looks pretty nice. I'd probably have to figure out a way to put a bigger electric motor and more batteries in it, though. Wink

I'd have to keep a gas car, even if it does have a 40 mile range, but at least I'd only be burning gas on longer journeys.

Not that I have a place to park it and plug it in. But if I did (and had known about this last year!)...  Grin

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org