A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 07:18:18 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Showing a French tourist America in Tulsa  (Read 6005 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: January 31, 2010, 07:35:35 am »

We have a French exchange student coming next week and I want to give him the best sense of America I can. What would you think is the best way to give him this experience?

I was thinking chicken-fried steak from Nelson's, a college basketball game, and maybe a trip to the Wal-Mart.

What else?

Power is nothing till you use it.
rwarn17588
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:07:15 am »

We have a French exchange student coming next week and I want to give him the best sense of America I can. What would you think is the best way to give him this experience?

I was thinking chicken-fried steak from Nelson's, a college basketball game, and maybe a trip to the Wal-Mart.

What else?

How much time do you have to do this? Your answer will influence my recommendations.
FOTD
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 11:31:26 am »

The Zoo before it becomes a budget cut....
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 11:43:25 am »

If you want an accurate best sense, Woodland Hills Mall, then a drive around the area from downtown to a few miles away in the rural areas.  Perhaps take a drive all day in one direction and not cross international boundaries, perhaps not even a state boundary.  I believe many Europeans don't quite realize how much distance there can be to go somewhere in the USA.  I don't think there is as much open nothingness in France as there can be in the OK and TX panhandles.  I grew up in southeast PA and was surprised at how much (awesome) nothingness there can be.

If you want a favorable best sense, stay away from Woodland Hills Mall

Edit:  Texas has more square miles than France

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-big-are-the-states-in-america.htm
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:47:13 am by Red Arrow » Logged

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 12:26:43 pm »

He will be here for two weeks. There is a four day weekend around Valentine's day. I was thinking about taking him to St. Louis to see the Arch, the Mississippi River, the City Museum and some Italian food from Rigazzi's.

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 01:02:38 pm »

I think you should take him shooting, like go shoot skeet out at Tulsa Gun Club or something fun like that.  It may be his only chance in his life to shoot a gun!
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 01:15:31 pm »

He will be here for two weeks. There is a four day weekend around Valentine's day. I was thinking about taking him to St. Louis to see the Arch, the Mississippi River, the City Museum and some Italian food from Rigazzi's.

+1 Rigazzi's.  Stop by the Jefferson Barrack's National Cemetery and point out the graves of those Americans that died giving freedom to Europe in WWI & WWII.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
waterboy
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 01:40:27 pm »

Like they don't have graves in Normandy of American soldiers.

Take him to a barbeque joint for sure. Elmer's in Brookside would be interesting.  A trip along the Turner Turnpike to our OKC relatives, where the Murrah would be a good stop, would give him a feel for prairie expanse and midwestern urban sprawl.

BTW, France is primarily an agrarian country. They know about farms and small towns.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 02:07:09 pm »

The Tallgrass Prarie. Seeing nothing forever.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 03:24:16 pm »

I think you should take him shooting, like go shoot skeet out at Tulsa Gun Club or something fun like that.  It may be his only chance in his life to shoot a gun!

When my son stayed with his family in France they went duck hunting.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 03:26:21 pm »

Take him to a barbeque joint for sure.

BTW, France is primarily an agrarian country. They know about farms and small towns.

I was thinking Knotty Pine for the atmosphere. His family owns a butcher shop in France, but they mostly eat grilled foods and deli cuts.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 04:05:36 pm »

I was thinking along the lines of being able to see for many miles without being on a hill.  No big trees to block the view.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 04:17:54 pm »

Show him some of the sights along Route 66.  Even Europeans know about the Mother Road, and it's a popular attraction for touring.  Oklahoma has more miles of the original road than any other state.  Get him a copy of Jim Ross's excellent "Oklahoma Route 66" as a souvenir.  And take him to Steve's Sundries to get it.  There's even one Rt 66 book that details all the food along the way, including the barbecue joints. 

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 06:02:28 pm »

A day trip to Woolaroc and Bartlesville to see the Price Tower is a good experience for any Tulsa tourist, domestic or international.  A college basketball game at TU or NBA game in Oklahoma City are also good options this time of year.  OSU plays Texas in Stillwater tomorrow night, and OU plays Texas this Saturday in Norman (another good place for a day trip to see the OU campus, Memorial Stadium, Fred Jones Art Museum, and Noble Nat. History Museum).  Either game would be a good atmosphere for a foreigner to experience.  If there is a big game in Fayetteville Bud Walton Arena is very impressive as well.  The drive through the mountains to Fayetteville from Tulsa is nice and will open anyone's eyes that [at least not all of] Oklahoma isn't flat plains.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 06:10:45 pm by SXSW » Logged

rwarn17588
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 06:37:19 pm »

I agree with the others about the Tallgrass Prairie and Route 66.

In terms of chicken-fried steak, one of the best I've ever had was at Jump's in Fairfax. If you're going to Tallgrass anyway, Jump's would be a good place to start or cap the day. It's only about 30 miles or so from Tallgrass.

You could serve him some calf fries at Clanton's Cafe in Vinita and not tell him what they are at first. Seriously, though, that place is one of the best I've ever had for breakfast, and you'll see a lot of local color there.

Rigazzi's is a good blue-collar Italian place on The Hill in St. Louis, but Zia's or Charlie Gitto's are better. Trust me, I know.

In St. Louis, you can also take him to check the sights at the University City Loop, especially Blueberry Hill. If you're lucky, you might score tickets to a Chuck Berry show in the basement. Chuck plays there the second Wednesday of every month. It's a small crowd and family members often attend, so it's a cool, fun show.

And if you want to give him another taste of the West, I'd go to the Gloss Mountains west of Enid. There's nothing quite like them in the state of Oklahoma.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org