A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 03:31:46 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I took some advice and decided to stay off the political threads  (Read 6006 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: February 03, 2010, 11:14:10 am »

I'm sad to say, I barely spend any time on here anymore.  There's not much else being posted aside from the political.

I'm not trying to be a complainer but it just seems like the same 4 to 6 people are posting from one far side of the political spectrum to the other.  Pass on the constant bow shots.

Was everyone run off?  Nothing else to post?  Only folks left post on political topics?

I'm going to attempt to find some positive subjects to comment on around Tulsa.

If anyone sees anything fun or constructive, please post them.  I'd love to see them.

Maybe in the Spring.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:21:26 am »

Get you butt back here and post some jokes.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 11:37:39 am »

I am no longer as active on here, precisely because of the political threads. I don't even know why a "Tulsa" forum even has these topics. Unless the topic pertains to Tulsa, or has some *IMPORTANT* relationship to Tulsa (regional topics, or a national topic that will positively or negatively affect Tulsa, etc...), I tend to ignore it.

In its current form, it feels like there are 75% "FreeRepublic vs. DailyKos" posts, and I am not interested in that. So, I do my best to avoid those areas as much as possible. That, in turn, has led to a decrease in postings and forum activity on my part. I know at least one other poster who has expressed the same feelings.

---Robert
FOTD
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 11:58:19 am »

I'm sad to say, I barely spend any time on here anymore.  There's not much else being posted aside from the political.

I'm not trying to be a complainer but it just seems like the same 4 to 6 people are posting from one far side of the political spectrum to the other.  Pass on the constant bow shots.

Was everyone run off?  Nothing else to post?  Only folks left post on political topics?

I'm going to attempt to find some positive subjects to comment on around Tulsa.

If anyone sees anything fun or constructive, please post them.  I'd love to see them.

Maybe in the Spring.

Running away from the issues of the day? Talk about apathetic!

Here: Moms in Group Therapy
A psychiatrist was conducting a group therapy session with four young
mothers and their small children.
"You all have obsessions," he observed.
To the first mother, he said, "Mary, you are obsessed with eating.
You've even named your daughter Candy."
He turned to the second Mom: "Ann, your obsession is with money. Again
it manifests itself in your child's name, Penny."
He turned to the third Mom: "Joyce, your obsession is alcohol. This
too shows itself in your child's name, Brandy."
At this point, the fourth mother, Kathy, quietly got up, took her
little boy by the hand, and whispered, "Come on, Dick, this guy has no
idea what he's talking about. Let's pick up Peter and Willy from school
and go get dinner."

FOTD is obsessed with politics.... his real name is Clinton.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:01:30 pm by FOTD » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 02:16:27 pm »

Running away from the issues of the day? Talk about apathetic!

Nope, that's not it.  Just tired of the same crap every time.

Someone's mad at someone for making a decision or not making a decision then someone else from the other side calls them a name and the argument goes on until the thread drift is so bad the discussion erupts into nothing but spitting at each other.

I do care, just don't care to read the sewage on the political threads lately.

Edited to add that I admit taking part.  My mistake.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:18:01 pm by Townsend » Logged
FOTD
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 02:32:21 pm »

Nope, that's not it.  Just tired of the same crap every time.

Someone's mad at someone for making a decision or not making a decision then someone else from the other side calls them a name and the argument goes on until the thread drift is so bad the discussion erupts into nothing but spitting at each other.

I do care, just don't care to read the sewage on the political threads lately.

Edited to add that I admit taking part.  My mistake.

Don't do it for fun?

Look, FOTD may get testy with some posters, but he'd still buy them a beer....that's not bait either, Conan. So don't ask. Wink

Was that a good joke?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 04:42:25 pm »

I loved the joke, Rip. 

Anyone brave enough to post on the political forums, regardless of affiliation is doing so because they are concerned about their governance and are not simply content to let it happen.  If someone doesn't like the political section, they can simply avoid it if they want.  There's plenty of other room to comment on local issues, development and the like on here.

I've actually found my political views have moderated quite a bit in the four years I've participated here.  I still approach things from a more conservative bent.  Sure some of the comments and predictability out of some posters can get annoying, but that's true of any board, bar, or opium den that allows political discussion.

There's not a person on here whom I've exchanged thoughts and insults with that I don't consider a friend.  Some I've never met face-to-face.

And FOTD- you don't have to buy me a beer, second hand smoke might be just as good.  Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 05:00:01 pm »

I noticed how little the other topics were being utilized.

I'm sure once the economy/weather/development/etc are looking up they will begin to fill out again.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 10:57:40 pm »

I feel the same way.  I don't see very many political threads discussing or debating ideas and principles, I just see mainly brick hurling.   Obama did bow/didn't bow, so and so republican is a racist, etc etc.

Discussing upcoming developments in Tulsa is always fun, but there don't seem to be very many things on the horizon right now.  Banks aren't financing any risky or daring developments.  All of the government sponsored play-money got tied up for 13 years with V2025 it appears.

buckeye
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 11:12:10 am »

Yup.  And now the "political discussion" is inappropriately mestastasizing to other parts of the board.
USRufnex
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 12:07:23 pm »

The recent political discussions in this forum have had some serious estrogen deficiencies.... just sayin'
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 12:09:20 pm »

The recent political discussions in this forum have had some serious estrogen deficiencies.... just sayin'

Yeah, you have been noticeably absent, Ruf. 

Sorry dude, that was an under-hand slow pitch, nothing to do but knock it out of the park  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 01:07:40 pm »

Ruf,

Article in WSJ yesterday re: KC stadium..
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703338504575041432705452028.html

Also, related article on stadiums in seperate section....

Peace
FOTD
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 01:09:58 pm »

Let's admit the fright wing has few bullets left and the dims are divided....

"just say no" Nancy Reagan
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 04:39:12 pm »

I don't mind political debate but here it seems to boil down to name calling. Very unattractive for a development centric forum.

Thank you,
Robert Town
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org