A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 02:17:14 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State Sen. Rice Proposing High Point Beer & Wine Sales In Grocery Stores  (Read 75625 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2010, 05:25:49 pm »

As far as Whole Foods coming into the state if we do get wine/high point beer sales he does not see that happening.  (Yes Whole Foods is in Brook Side but they purchased that store from Wild Oats).  He said the demographics in Oklahoma do not fit what Whole Foods is looking for in establishing a store whether they are allowed to sell wine/strong beer or not.

Then why do cities of similar size and demographics like Louisville, Birmingham, Little Rock and Omaha all have Whole Foods?  I call BS.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2010, 10:54:35 pm »

He would not mind selling wine in his stores but has no interest in high point beer.
If we got strong beer statewide, the distributors would stop carrying 3.2, so Mr. Reasor would have the choice of selling strong beer or no beer.

I'm not sure whether it's the distributors that choose not to sell it to cut down on the number of different packages they have to stock or whether the breweries refuse to sell it in states that allow strong beer outside of liquor stores. I got a good explanation of it from a beer distributor about 10 years ago, but I've forgotten the details since then.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2010, 08:38:58 am »

If we got strong beer statewide, the distributors would stop carrying 3.2, so Mr. Reasor would have the choice of selling strong beer or no beer.

I'm not sure whether it's the distributors that choose not to sell it to cut down on the number of different packages they have to stock or whether the breweries refuse to sell it in states that allow strong beer outside of liquor stores. I got a good explanation of it from a beer distributor about 10 years ago, but I've forgotten the details since then.

There’s yet another law in play here. In Oklahoma you can’t sell exclusive distributorship rights for high-point beer, wine or liquor. The major beer companies make a great deal of profit selling those rights so instead of giving up those profits, they keep high point major label beers out of Oklahoma. There is no law against high point Bud being sold in a liquor store here, Budweiser, Coors and the others just refuse to do it. 
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2010, 12:45:48 pm »

This has basically turned into an all-alcohol legislation thread, thought I'd post this. The House Bill to legalize home brewing has passed the state house and proceeds to the Senate. I still think its funny that it only allows home brewing of low point beer.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20100303_12_0_OLHMIY864986
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2010, 01:52:58 pm »

This has basically turned into an all-alcohol legislation thread, thought I'd post this. The House Bill to legalize home brewing has passed the state house and proceeds to the Senate. I still think its funny that it only allows home brewing of low point beer.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20100303_12_0_OLHMIY864986

Does that make several of us equivalent to moon shiners?  Should we be worried about them revenuers?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2010, 02:06:50 am »

And they want people to get a license to home brew? That's just absurd.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2010, 03:07:58 am »

Regrets watching Good Eats and learning to brew my own Beer... Wait no one has to know Tongue

Thank you,
Robert Town
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2010, 09:23:46 am »

This shows the mentality of some of our lawmakers

Despite a lawmaker who is worried that it could lead to legalizing marijuana, a measure that would allow Oklahomans to brew beer for their own use legally won easy passage Wednesday in the House of Representatives

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20100304_16_A5_OKLAHO78932
rwarn17588
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2010, 09:32:17 am »

This shows the mentality of some of our lawmakers

Apparently Jack Henderson also is working in the state legislature.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2010, 09:55:43 am »

Where are you getting that it only allows low point?  The only section that singles out low point is the sale, transportation and possession part of it. 
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2010, 11:18:51 am »

Where are you getting that it only allows low point?  The only section that singles out low point is the sale, transportation and possession part of it. 

The bill was amended to only allow low point brewing. Go here: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/WebBillStatus/main.html and look up HB2348
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2010, 11:35:46 am »

The bill was amended to only allow low point brewing. Go here: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/WebBillStatus/main.html and look up HB2348

I read it, it only added beer to the bill, it did not specify hi or low point.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2010, 07:26:49 pm »

Whole foods is not that interested in OK because we are a fried food state and they are a health food company.  They may be missing a bet, though, based on the crowds at the Brookside store whenever I go there.

Even Little Rock seems to be advancing on that front quicker than we are.

We had an opportunity to get Andrew Rice into a position where he would be even more valuable to the state....and we blew it!

Quick side note: got to Nelson's today for some chicken fried steak and it is just like I remember from 1975!  Fantastic!!  The mashed potatoes and baked beans are also exceptional.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2010, 09:01:39 pm »

Whole foods is not that interested in OK because we are a fried food state and they are a health food company. 

We can fry health food.

Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2010, 04:00:43 pm »

Not related to Oklahoma, but an interesting read about Pennsylvania's liquor laws: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20100308_Troopers_raid_popular_bars_for_unlicensed_beers__Dozens_of_gallons_seized_after__citizen_complaint_.html
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org