A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 02:17:13 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State Sen. Rice Proposing High Point Beer & Wine Sales In Grocery Stores  (Read 75624 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2010, 05:03:00 pm »

Wow, and I thought Oklahoma alcohol laws were arcane...well, they still are, but that right there takes the cake.  Although being Pennsylvania, it doesn't surprise me one bit.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2010, 07:08:35 pm »

I've heard of some really stupid alcohol laws from most every state. 

When I lived near Philly, up to the 70s, beer was only available in any bulk from "Beverage" stores which also sold soda/pop.  Liquor and wine were only available in "State Stores" which were/are owned by the state.  You could buy a bottle (or two up to a limit I don't remember) of unopened beer at a bar for consumption off premises (take home).  If you were in a restaurant or bar with an alcoholic drink and wanted to change tables, you had to get a waiter/waitress to move your drinks to the new table.  It's been quite a few years since I even  visited PA so these could be out of date, but I doubt it.

In the 60s, the state (PA) decided to raise the alcohol tax.  Folks in the border areas naturally went to neighboring states to buy booze.  You were in trouble if you got caught with more than a minimal amount of booze without PA tax stamps.  In one operation, the PA State Police were staking out liquor stores in NJ for cars with PA tags.  They would call back on the radio to their buddies on the PA side of the Delaware River (all toll bridges by the way) and the bootleggers would be stopped on the PA side.  The PA troopers got tagged (I believe by the FCC) for operating their radios out of their jurisdiction.  Couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2010, 08:15:08 am »

We should've been allowed to vote on it.

Also killed in a state Senate committee was a proposal to let voters decide whether to allow the sale of strong beer and wine in grocery stores

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=12139088

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2010, 08:40:05 am »

We should've been allowed to vote on it.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=12139088

Mr "Freedom" Randy Brogdon taking away peoples ability to choose.

Shocking.
rwarn17588
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2010, 08:51:38 am »

Mr "Freedom" Randy Brogdon taking away peoples ability to choose.

Shocking.

Christianists strike again.  Angry
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2010, 11:54:05 am »

Christianists strike again.  Angry

X2

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2010, 12:43:01 pm »

Looks like this is staring again..... Roll Eyes

http://newsok.com/legislators-likely-will-consider-giving-oklahoma-stores-strong-beer-wine/article/3526971#
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2010, 01:14:14 pm »

Richard believes the state economy will suffer if grocery stores can sell wine and strong beer because most state grocery stores are owned by corporations based out-of-state.

“Then the money leaves the state, and you get a minimum-wage employee who is now your service agent. That's your expert,” Richard said.

What a lying sack.  The 4 tier system in Oklahoma is the worst I've ever seen. 

I just got back from Texas and Arizona where their grocery stores have wine and good beer.  It was great to be able to shop like that.

Oklahoma's system is a racket.
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2010, 02:22:00 pm »

Not only that, sure some liqueur stores have "experts" but most don't know much more then the "minimum-wage employee" at the supermarket does.

Thank you,
Robert Town
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2010, 02:34:42 pm »

What a lying sack.  The 4 tier system in Oklahoma is the worst I've ever seen. 

I just got back from Texas and Arizona where their grocery stores have wine and good beer.  It was great to be able to shop like that.

Oklahoma's system is a racket.

Richard is a dishonest scrotum.  Two of the larger grocery chains are local: Reasor's and Crest in the OKC metro.  There's quite a few smaller grocers in places like Bartlesville, Enid, Lawton, etc.  I do realize Wal-Mart and Super Target are out of state owners along with Food Pyramid, but his argument is pretty weak.  We've discussed this before, aside from 6 pt. Boulevard and other recognizable brands as well as low-end wine, I don't see this putting a huge dent in liquor store business.  The kinds of beer I like wouldn't do enough volume to justify the shelf space in a grocery store.

It's time to root out the old mob-style system the liquor lobby keeps in place.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2010, 02:36:36 pm »

harumph harumph
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2010, 02:38:38 pm »

Richard is a dishonest scrotum.  Two of the larger grocery chains are local: Reasor's and Crest in the OKC metro.  There's quite a few smaller grocers in places like Bartlesville, Enid, Lawton, etc.  I do realize Wal-Mart and Super Target are out of state owners along with Food Pyramid, but his argument is pretty weak.  We've discussed this before, aside from 6 pt. Boulevard and other recognizable brands as well as low-end wine, I don't see this putting a huge dent in liquor store business.  The kinds of beer I like wouldn't do enough volume to justify the shelf space in a grocery store.

I'd like to see it happen but I would also want the ability for these retailers to refrigerate the beer on site.  That's one of the things that holds up one of my favorites from coming to Oklahoma...Fat Tire.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacks fan
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2010, 02:45:07 pm »

I was just pointing this out to a friend on FB, the likes of Fred Parkhill, and the liquor distibutors will do their best to see that it doesn't go through. They don't want the competition. (I would love to see it open up and the likes of BevMo and Total Wine and Spirits move into Oklahoma.)

http://www.bevmo.com/

http://www.totalwine.com/

dbacks fan
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2010, 02:47:16 pm »

harumph harumph

"Wait a minute I didn't get a harumph outta that guy!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN99jshaQbY[/youtube]

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2010, 02:48:39 pm »

I was just pointing this out to a friend on FB, the likes of Fred Parkhill, and the liquor distibutors will do their best to see that it doesn't go through. They don't want the competition. (I would love to see it open up and the likes of BevMo and Total Wine and Spirits move into Oklahoma.)

http://www.bevmo.com/

http://www.totalwine.com/

Jarbo and Central et al need to go as well.  ABLE needs to be overhauled or ended.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org