A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 12:16:44 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State Sen. Rice Proposing High Point Beer & Wine Sales In Grocery Stores  (Read 75611 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2010, 02:52:39 pm »

I was just pointing this out to a friend on FB, the likes of Fred Parkhill, and the liquor distibutors will do their best to see that it doesn't go through. They don't want the competition. (I would love to see it open up and the likes of BevMo and Total Wine and Spirits move into Oklahoma.)

http://www.bevmo.com/

http://www.totalwine.com/

I like Fred, always have.  My understanding is not only does he have the liquor retail outlet, he's (or his son) is also a wholesaler.  Certainly liquor stores don't want to lose revenue, but I really don't see the consequences as being so dire.  I might grab a cheap merlot at the grocery store out of convenience, but it will never become my primary point of purchase for high point beer and wine.

I don't see my consumer behavior as being much different than the norm.  I suspect most others would agree.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2010, 02:55:14 pm »

I'd like to see it happen but I would also want the ability for these retailers to refrigerate the beer on site.  That's one of the things that holds up one of my favorites from coming to Oklahoma...Fat Tire.

I'm not so sure the liquor retailers want the ability to refrigerate beer as it would be an added expense.  I too would like them to have refrigerated sections for beer as it would keep better.

For now, High Gravity has an excellent kit for homebrewing a Fat Tire clone. Brewing using malt extract is easy.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2010, 02:55:32 pm »

I like Fred, always have.  My understanding is not only does he have the liquor retail outlet, he's (or his son) is also a wholesaler.  Certainly liquor stores don't want to lose revenue, but I really don't see the consequences as being so dire.  I might grab a cheap merlot at the grocery store out of convenience, but it will never become my primary point of purchase for high point beer and wine.

I don't see my consumer behavior as being much different than the norm.  I suspect most others would agree.

I would rather see the overhaul include the ability for liquor outlets to refrigerate their beer, like they do in Louisiana.  Even if they don't let the non liquor outlets refrigerate it.  That was my biggest point of contention with it.  I never had a huge issue with it being exclusive to liquor stores, but the law about barring it from refrigeration, and thus deterring anyone from drinking it as soon as purchased, is asinine.  If someone wants a beer bad enough, they'll drink it warm.  Hell, the Brits do it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacks fan
« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2010, 02:58:24 pm »

I always figured Lance would get into the family business. He and I played hockey together in the 70's.

The one thing I wish they would get rid of here in AZ, and the only place you usually see it is at WalGreens, is the sale of the little airplane bottles of liquor.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2010, 03:00:45 pm »

I always figured Lance would get into the family business. He and I played hockey together in the 70's.

The one thing I wish they would get rid of here in AZ, and the only place you usually see it is at WalGreens, is the sale of the little airplane bottles of liquor.

I call those "pocket warmers."

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2010, 03:01:34 pm »

I'm not so sure the liquor retailers want the ability to refrigerate beer as it would be an added expense.  I too would like them to have refrigerated sections for beer as it would keep better.

For now, High Gravity has an excellent kit for homebrewing a Fat Tire clone. Brewing using malt extract is easy.

Don't know about clones though.  I like it well enough I'd compare it to a brewing kit for a clone of any of Eric's core beers.  Just can't see doing it.  Thanks for the info, though.  Two of my good friends are hardcore kit brewers.  I'll ask them about it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

dbacks fan
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2010, 03:05:21 pm »

I'd like to see it happen but I would also want the ability for these retailers to refrigerate the beer on site.  That's one of the things that holds up one of my favorites from coming to Oklahoma...Fat Tire.

I think I might have to throw a flag on that one. There are places here that sell Fat Tire unrefrigerated. I will double check and see.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2010, 03:10:11 pm »

I think I might have to throw a flag on that one. There are places here that sell Fat Tire unrefrigerated. I will double check and see.

I've not found one yet here in Tulsa.  And every liquor store I talk to the clerks tell me the same.  They won't distribute unless it's sold refrigerated.  Maybe that's BS, but that's what I've been told on more than one occasion and by different people.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2010, 03:12:16 pm »

I've not found one yet here in Tulsa.  And every liquor store I talk to the clerks tell me the same.  They won't distribute unless it's sold refrigerated.  Maybe that's BS, but that's what I've been told on more than one occasion and by different people.

I've heard the same.  It's my wife's favorite beer.  The guys at the liqueur store at 81st and Yale say they get a request for it at least once a week.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2010, 03:32:13 pm »

I think New Belgian Brewery uses the refrigeration issue as an excuse but that's their story and they are sticking to it.  (No inside info, just guessing.)  I've seen Fat Tire at the HEB stores in Texas in both the refrigerated and non-refrigerated sections.  Maybe the key is the promise to refrigerate it but they don't check up on it.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2010, 03:40:00 pm »

I keep trying to talk someone into bringing Carib lager into Oklahoma.  It's a great lower latitude beer brewed in Trinidad along the lines of Corona only much better.  (I can drink Carib and piss Corona) I know it's brought into the country, but no one can tell the me reason it's not coming to Oklahoma unless it's simply that wholesalers don't get enough/any inquiries about it. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2010, 03:41:06 pm »

I think New Belgian Brewery uses the refrigeration issue as an excuse but that's their story and they are sticking to it.  (No inside info, just guessing.)  I've seen Fat Tire at the HEB stores in Texas in both the refrigerated and non-refrigerated sections.  Maybe the key is the promise to refrigerate it but they don't check up on it.

Coors, or at least their advertising, states that their beer is shipped cold, yet you will see it out on the floor in store displays at room temperature.

Speaking of home brewing, where's a good place to buy glass 5 gal carbouys in Tulsa without having to pay a home-brewer mark-up?

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2010, 03:45:07 pm »

I keep trying to talk someone into bringing Carib lager into Oklahoma.  It's a great lower latitude beer brewed in Trinidad along the lines of Corona only much better.  (I can drink Carib and piss Corona) I know it's brought into the country, but no one can tell the me reason it's not coming to Oklahoma unless it's simply that wholesalers don't get enough/any inquiries about it. 

The number one reason some beers never come to Oklahoma is lack of pasteurization, if a beer isn't pasteurized it needs to be constantly refrigerated which we don't allow.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2010, 03:46:49 pm »

I think New Belgian Brewery uses the refrigeration issue as an excuse but that's their story and they are sticking to it.  (No inside info, just guessing.)  I've seen Fat Tire at the HEB stores in Texas in both the refrigerated and non-refrigerated sections.  Maybe the key is the promise to refrigerate it but they don't check up on it.

Since it's high point beer and they KNOW Oklahoma won't allow refrigerators in the liquor stores, that's likely why they won't sell it.  No refrigerators at all, and no ability to sell it where there are any.

dbacks fan
« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2010, 03:47:24 pm »

I'm willing to bet that they want the option for it to be refrigerated in stores, but the only way to do that is to sell 3.2 and they refuse to make a special version just for that purpose.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org