A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 12:14:55 pm
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State Sen. Rice Proposing High Point Beer & Wine Sales In Grocery Stores  (Read 75603 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2010, 03:51:17 pm »

The number one reason some beers never come to Oklahoma is lack of pasteurization, if a beer isn't pasteurized it needs to be constantly refrigerated which we don't allow.

Many of the beers we have in our local liqueur store are unpasteurized.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2010, 03:52:21 pm »

Coors, or at least their advertising, states that their beer is shipped cold, yet you will see it out on the floor in store displays at room temperature.

Speaking of home brewing, where's a good place to buy glass 5 gal carbouys in Tulsa without having to pay a home-brewer mark-up?

If you want to brew a 5 gal batch, get a 6 gal carboy (sp? it didn't like carbouy).  For as many as I buy, I support my local sheriff homebrew store.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2010, 03:53:42 pm »

If you want to brew a 5 gal batch, get a 6 gal carboy (sp? it didn't like carbouy).  For as many as I buy, I support my local sheriff homebrew store.

I buy mine at Home Depot!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2010, 03:55:00 pm »

I'm willing to bet that they want the option for it to be refrigerated in stores, but the only way to do that is to sell 3.2 and they refuse to make a special version just for that purpose.

For most micro-brewers, that wouldn't be cost effective, and it defeats the purpose a little.  If I want 3.2 from a micro, I'll go to QT and buy that crappy Boulevard.  I used to like Boulevard when I could only buy it in the liquor stores.  Now, not so much.  I'll drink Sierra Nevada, since Boulevard is almost a clone of them...or vice versa.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2010, 04:01:49 pm »

If you're out of beer on a Sunday, Boulevard is still better than Millercoorsbud Light.  Most wheat beers aren't very high alcohol anyway.  I just checked Marshall's at 4.7% by vol.  3.2% by weight is about 4% by vol.  Maybe that's why Boulevard makes their wheat but not other varieties available in 3.2 for OK and maybe a couple other states. It's not a whole lot different.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2010, 04:11:51 pm »

If you're out of beer on a Sunday, Boulevard is still better than Millercoorsbud Light.  Most wheat beers aren't very high alcohol anyway.  I just checked Marshall's at 4.7% by vol.  3.2% by weight is about 4% by vol.  Maybe that's why Boulevard makes their wheat but not other varieties available in 3.2 for OK and maybe a couple other states. It's not a whole lot different.

But the point for me is I'm not a huge Wheat fan.  I like their Bully Porter better.  And German Pilsners.  But, I see what you're saying.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2010, 04:20:59 pm »

But the point for me is I'm not a huge Wheat fan.  I like their Bully Porter better.  And German Pilsners.  But, I see what you're saying.

I haven't seen anything but the wheat in 3.2%. Maybe I didn't look enough.  I like several of their offerings.  I always get a few 6 packs of Bob's 47 when it comes out.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2010, 05:58:23 pm »

Coors, or at least their advertising, states that their beer is shipped cold, yet you will see it out on the floor in store displays at room temperature.

Speaking of home brewing, where's a good place to buy glass 5 gal carbouys in Tulsa without having to pay a home-brewer mark-up?
Surely some of the water cooler places still use glass..

Coors isn't supposed to be stored warm at any point in its life cycle. Too bad the salesmen, who are generally the ones to set up displays and monitor such things, aren't listening. Now that I think about it, why do I care? It's Coors. I only drink that at work...

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2010, 06:51:35 pm »

Surely some of the water cooler places still use glass..

Coors isn't supposed to be stored warm at any point in its life cycle. Too bad the salesmen, who are generally the ones to set up displays and monitor such things, aren't listening. Now that I think about it, why do I care? It's Coors. I only drink that at work...

You too?  We call it "canned water".

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2010, 08:54:14 am »

I also don't see the liquor stores losing this battle so put me in the refrigeration camp. Also, I would like to see legislation passed that would allow the Oklahoma breweries to sell their own product, similar to the legislation that was passed within the past couple of years for wineries.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2010, 09:09:59 am »

I also don't see the liquor stores losing this battle so put me in the refrigeration camp. Also, I would like to see legislation passed that would allow the Oklahoma breweries to sell their own product, similar to the legislation that was passed within the past couple of years for wineries.

And get rid of all that BS that keeps me from ordering wine to my door.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2010, 09:44:56 am »

The compromise here is to allow high point beer and wine in grocery stores but to make up that loss to the local liquor stores with allowing them to refrigerate and sell high profit mixer and barware items and then also to change the franchising law so that we would have normal mass market beer brands in liquor stores like Budweiser and Coors. The only businesses that would be hurt by all these changes would be big liquor distributors and they aren’t very friendly to small local businesses anyway.

The small local liquor store business would change, but it doesn’t have to be hurt.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2010, 10:04:18 am »

Swake, that's a very good compromise. As it is now, there's a few liquor stores who have keg businesses adjacent where they also sell 3.2. That would be win for even smaller shops.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2010, 10:46:35 am »

The compromise here is to allow high point beer and wine in grocery stores but to make up that loss to the local liquor stores with allowing them to refrigerate and sell high profit mixer and barware items and then also to change the franchising law so that we would have normal mass market beer brands in liquor stores like Budweiser and Coors. The only businesses that would be hurt by all these changes would be big liquor distributors and they aren’t very friendly to small local businesses anyway.

The big liquor distributors have lobbyists, and the mass-market beers actually like the 3.2 arrangement in Oklahoma because they see it as more volume sales.  Would take a miracle to change this.

Now if there was something to light the fuses of constituents likely to support this...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacks fan
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2010, 11:11:23 am »

Just my $.02, until OK liquor laws are changed and or some one files an antitrust suit against the existing distributors, I don't think much will change. Doesn't the current liquor dist take care of both bars and Liquor stores? It may not be a "monopoly" but it sure smells like one and has for as long as I can remember.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org