A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 10:22:50 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State Sen. Rice Proposing High Point Beer & Wine Sales In Grocery Stores  (Read 75562 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2010, 11:20:23 am »

Just my $.02, until OK liquor laws are changed and or some one files an antitrust suit against the existing distributors, I don't think much will change. Doesn't the current liquor dist take care of both bars and Liquor stores? It may not be a "monopoly" but it sure smells like one and has for as long as I can remember.

yeah, and I think it's just two companies for the whole state, or at least it used to be. Jarboe and Central. There may be another now, but these are not "mom and pop" stores and they will fight any changes to our laws.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2010, 11:42:29 am »

yeah, and I think it's just two companies for the whole state, or at least it used to be. Jarboe and Central. There may be another now, but these are not "mom and pop" stores and they will fight any changes to our laws.

There's another but they get together periodically to set prices.  That should be illegal as well.
OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2010, 12:24:47 pm »

Just my $.02, until OK liquor laws are changed and or some one files an antitrust suit against the existing distributors, I don't think much will change. Doesn't the current liquor dist take care of both bars and Liquor stores? It may not be a "monopoly" but it sure smells like one and has for as long as I can remember.

I have always wished that someone would start a petition to get this on the ballot.  Maybe the forum could band together to make it happen someday.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2010, 12:46:12 pm »

The big liquor distributors have lobbyists, and the mass-market beers actually like the 3.2 arrangement in Oklahoma because they see it as more volume sales.  Would take a miracle to change this.

Now if there was something to light the fuses of constituents likely to support this...

I'd love to see the 3.2 law go to the wayside entirely.  FAIK, there are only five states which have a 3.2 law: Ok, Co, Ks. Mn, and Ut.  Interesting that four of the states are the home state of and neighboring states of Coors.  Seems like the breweries would get behind such laws if there was any concerted effort to get all five states to dump 3.2 at once.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2010, 12:50:08 pm »

I'd love to see the 3.2 law go to the wayside entirely.  FAIK, there are only five states which have a 3.2 law: Ok, Co, Ks. Mn, and Ut.  Interesting that four of the states are the home state of and neighboring states of Coors.  Seems like the breweries would get behind such laws if there was any concerted effort to get all five states to dump 3.2 at once.

Interesting but how do you explain Missouri?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_Missouri

dbacks fan
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2010, 12:53:49 pm »

I have always wished that someone would start a petition to get this on the ballot.  Maybe the forum could band together to make it happen someday.

It took almost 30 years to get liquor by the drink on a ballot, let alone pass, and it's been alomst 30 years since it passed, maybe, just maybe, you might get it on a ballot.
dbacks fan
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2010, 12:59:15 pm »

Wiki list of each state

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States_by_state
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2010, 01:56:57 pm »

Kinda nice to know we're not the most restrictive.  Looks like Kansas gets that, but I don't understand why, some years back, I went to a Wichita v Tulsa hockey game in Wichita and they were able to serve Fat Tire beer at the arena.  Maybe I'm not reading the law correctly.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2010, 02:21:44 pm »

There's another but they get together periodically to set prices.  That should be illegal as well.

It is called collusion, and it is illegal.  I belieeve under the sherman act.

Anyway, oklahomas alcohol laws are annoying at best, bad for consumers in reality, and probably bad for business (marshalls brew pub anyone?).  They are cemented in place for existing business interfests and no other reason.  Selling alcohol on Sunday, wine at grocery stores, or a winery shipping wine have no honest effect on alcohol abuse... but they do shuffle money around.

For matter, 3 tier distribution is just a jobs program that passes costs to the consumer.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2010, 02:48:32 pm »

Kinda nice to know we're not the most restrictive.  Looks like Kansas gets that, but I don't understand why, some years back, I went to a Wichita v Tulsa hockey game in Wichita and they were able to serve Fat Tire beer at the arena.  Maybe I'm not reading the law correctly.

If I remember right from when I lived in KCK (Wyandotte County) and worked down in Johnson County you could buy 3.2 beer in the grocery store or convenience store, but could buy cold Bud, Miller, Coors in their high point version and cold in a liquor store.

Also seems like Mo. cuts off beer sales in the convenience store after 2 or 3 am and they draw a curtain over the beer section.  Same with Sunday, IIRC or I may be thinking of the Kansas side.  At least you can buy 3.2 24 hours a day here if you need some sort of alcohol fix and the cupboards are empty.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2010, 02:50:51 pm »

At least you can buy 3.2 24 hours a day here if you need some sort of alcohol fix and the cupboards are empty.

I've not tried to buy beer after 2AM in quite some time but I think that is cut off too.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2010, 03:12:30 pm »

Kinda nice to know we're not the most restrictive.  Looks like Kansas gets that, but I don't understand why, some years back, I went to a Wichita v Tulsa hockey game in Wichita and they were able to serve Fat Tire beer at the arena.  Maybe I'm not reading the law correctly.

Kansas is not nearly as restrictive as we are. They have full point mass market beers in liquor stores, liquor stores have refrigeration and can sell items other than liquor and are open more hours. Also, we don't allow happy hours or discounts on drinks in bars, they do.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:19:29 pm by swake » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2010, 03:16:23 pm »

Also, we don't allow happy hours or discounts on drinks in bars, they do.

Beer must be 3.2 (food product) and if a shot is offered as a special it has to be available for the entire week (that might've changed in the many years since I've been a bartender).
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2010, 03:21:10 pm »

Kansas is not nearly as restrictive as we are. They have full point mass market beers in liquor stores, liquor stores have refrigeration and can sell items other than liquor and are open more hours. Also, we don't allow happy hours or discounts on drinks in bars, they do.

I hear this and read this, yet I've seen quite a few (wink) non-happy hours and (wink) non-drink discounts.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2010, 03:28:02 pm »

I've not tried to buy beer after 2AM in quite some time but I think that is cut off too.

It is.  Most C-stores have chains/locks around the cooler doors.  Why do you think QT now has one whole wall of the store devoted to beer only?  So people can't try and sneak one by opening a neighboring cooler door.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org